• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#83017  by Roundball
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:40 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:40 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:13 pm
I guess I am of the mindset that these players owe us nothing and owe the university nothing at this point… if they can go contribute next year on a bigger stage, more power to them… they’ll still be representing Furman well.
True - up till the last part.

Unless they are wearing a Diamond F on their helmet and wearing purple and white, while playing for a College Football Team, they ARE NOT representing Furman. They are representing the College Team they preferred to and have chosen to play for in that season. Even those that don’t prefer to pursue one of the graduate studies options available at Furman have made a choice. All of those things may be the exactly right and correct option for them, but it is still a choice: their choice (in almost all cases - some may have been ‘encouraged’ to leave, perhaps).

Ain’t mad at ‘em. They should do exactly what is best for them, but FUBeAR don’t wanna watch ‘em if they ain’t playin’ for the Paladins…and if we, by chance, line up against ‘em, FUBeAR would hope they don’t pee a drop against our Paladins.

Now - if they move on from College Football to an (Admitted / Acknowledged) Professional level of Football, playing for a Team that Furman would NEVER play AND they choose to represent Furman by how their College Experience is depicted online, in the program, on TV, in their introductions, etc., then FUBeAR is ALL IN supporting them as they ARE, again, representing Furman at that point.

And, if they choose to join the FFPA and attend FFPA Tailgates and Events and Furman games, after representing a different college football team for a year or 2, they are more than welcome to do so. They are Furman Football Alumni just as much as any other former Player that didn’t go play somewhere else. FUATT
I am surprised that you would say these young men will not be representing Furman well. I hope you are in the minority on that thinking.
 #83018  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:50 pm
Roundball wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Dins&Heels wrote:
I guess I am of the mindset that these players owe us nothing and owe the university nothing at this point… if they can go contribute next year on a bigger stage, more power to them… they’ll still be representing Furman well.

Unless they are wearing a Diamond F on their helmet and wearing purple and white, while playing for a College Football Team, they ARE NOT representing Furman. They are representing the College Team they preferred to and have chosen to play for in that season. Even those that don’t prefer to pursue one of the graduate studies options available at Furman have made a choice. All of those things may be the exactly right and correct option for them, but it is still a choice: their choice (in almost all cases - some may have been ‘encouraged’ to leave, perhaps).

Ain’t mad at ‘em. They should do exactly what is best for them, but FUBeAR don’t wanna watch ‘em if they ain’t playin’ for the Paladins…and if we, by chance, line up against ‘em, FUBeAR would hope they don’t pee a drop against our Paladins.

Now - if they move on from College Football to an (Admitted / Acknowledged) Professional level of Football, playing for a Team that Furman would NEVER play AND they choose to represent Furman by how their College Experience is depicted online, in the program, on TV, in their introductions, etc., then FUBeAR is ALL IN supporting them as they ARE, again, representing Furman at that point.

And, if they choose to join the FFPA and attend FFPA Tailgates and Events and Furman games, after representing a different college football team for a year or 2, they are more than welcome to do so. They are Furman Football Alumni just as much as any other former Player that didn’t go play somewhere else. FUATT
I am surprised that you would say these young men will not be representing Furman well. I hope you are in the minority on that thinking.
FUBeAR is NOT surprised that you have attempted to twist perception of FUBeAR’s opinion by misrepresenting FUBeAR’s previous post here.

It’s a real ishbag move on your part. Not unsurprising though.

FUBeAR DID NOT say THEY WILL NOT BE REPRESENTING FURMAN WELL while playing for other schools.

FUBeAR - VERY CLEARLY - said they will NOT be representing Furman … while they are playing for other college football teams … because that is true. They will not. And FUBeAR refuses to romanticize that they are. They are representing the colors, the logo, and the school for which they have chosen to play instead of playing for Furman - a school / team with which Furman competes on some level.

That’s it. Don’t try that stupid ish Roundball. It just makes you look like a dumba$$.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
bj93, apaladin, fupaladin01 and 1 others liked this
 #83021  by Afurmanfan
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:53 pm
IMHO- their character, intensity and team attitude, that I believe they will take with them to their new teams, certainly represents Furman’s contribution to them as young men. In that respect all former players continue to represent Furman football.
 #83022  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:56 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:53 pm
IMHO- their character, intensity and team attitude, that I believe they will take with them to their new teams, certainly represents Furman’s contribution to them as young men. In that respect all former players continue to represent Furman football.
FUBeAR will allow they are representing the spirit or essence of Furman Football, no matter what they are doing - from mowing their lawn to giving a Sales Presentation to playing QB for, say, Coastal Carolina. That’s fine.

The spirit or the essence of Furman Football - but NOT Furman Football, per se. There is a difference.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #83024  by Paul C
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:12 pm
I've sort of come to the acceptance that any player that earns his degree in 4 years and sticks around for his 5th is just gravy. I used to get excited when we redshirted a really good recruit. Now Coastal/App/Colo St/Ga State, etc. get excited when we redshirt a top recruit. It is what it is. Get your degree at FU and do what you want, we will be fine.

As long as the coaches know what's going on they can plan for it and address it.

I recall a few years ago when we lost a couple DTs who had eligibility left and it was a surprise and it killed us the next year or two as we had to rebuild depth. Nowadays we can address that in the portal.
FUBeAR, FUwolfpacker, gman84 and 2 others liked this
 #83026  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:31 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:23 pm

That’s a pretty nice offer
Located in the same state as marsha…

Davemeister liked this
 #83027  by Afurmanfan
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:53 pm
Some of our seniors with one year of eligibility left don’t graduate until May, and many schools don’t want you if you can’t get there for spring practice in a couple of months.
Also, Tyler has military responsibility for the next six months so there may be a limited opportunity set for him. Meanwhile, we will have 3 scholly qbs in spring practice (very rare) since Hedden is enrolling early.
My clear understanding from staff is that none of the portal entries were surprises. They also like very much the youngsters who have had to wait for their turn.
Every year will have its own challenges and opportunities- I look forward to seeing some new names perform well next year.
FUBeAR, din23, dornb and 4 others liked this
 #83031  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:52 pm
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... transfers/

Judge issues restraining order against NCAA temporarily granting eligibility for multi-time transfers
A U.S. District Court judge in West Virginia issued a ruling against the NCAA's transfer restrictions

U.S. District Court Judge John Bailey issued a temporary restraining order on Wednesday against the NCAA rule requiring multi-time transfers to sit out a season. The ruling, which came in the Northern District of West Virginia, opens the door for transfers sidelined due to NCAA rules to be eligible immediately.

The temporary restraining order is active for just 14 days, however. The ultimate legal fate of the NCAA's transfer restrictions has yet to be adjudicated. In the meantime, the decision marks another blow against the NCAA, which is reeling amid a changing a landscape in college sports that has seen the organizing body lose its ability to effectively govern.

The NCAA is expected to appeal, and the next hearing has been set for Dec. 27. But for now, the NCAA is standing down on the issue. "As a result of today's decision impacting Division I student-athletes, the Association will not enforce the year in residency requirement for multiple-time transfers and will begin notifying member schools," the NCAA said in a statement.

Whew. Thank goodness. There is surely no such thing as too many transfers in collegiate athletics.
 #83045  by Jasper
 Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:14 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:50 pm
Roundball wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Dins&Heels wrote:

FUBeAR is NOT surprised that you have attempted to twist perception of FUBeAR’s opinion by misrepresenting FUBeAR’s previous post here.

It’s a real ishbag move on your part. Not unsurprising though.

FUBeAR DID NOT say THEY WILL NOT BE REPRESENTING FURMAN WELL while playing for other schools.

FUBeAR - VERY CLEARLY - said they will NOT be representing Furman … while they are playing for other college football teams … because that is true. They will not. And FUBeAR refuses to romanticize that they are. They are representing the colors, the logo, and the school for which they are playing - a school / team with which Furman competes on some level.

That’s it. Don’t try that stupid ish Roundball. It just makes you look like a dumba$$.
DO NOT TAUNT THE BEARS. THEY CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS AND HAVE BEEN KNOW TO RIP OFF TESTICLES.
FUBeAR liked this
 #83048  by tim
 Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:33 am
Negative alert negative alert....purple snowflakes hit the safe rooms.

I DON'T SWEAT THE TRANSFER OF ANY PLAYER IN THE FURMAN DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD
 #83049  by 'Din Djarin
 Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:38 am
FUBear preaching about who does and doesn't get to represent Furman while his avatar includes both a Paladin and a Mercer bear is some next-level cognitive dissonance. :lol:

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:10 am

User avatar Changing times ...

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.