• Clemson game thread

#3346  by CharlieFU
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:07 am
Silly me! I thought this a thread on the actual game. I had to get to page 5 before the game started,
 #3353  by fufanatic
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:57 am
One point I wanted to correct from my in-game criticism. I didn't realize that there was a new rule this year that you can fair catch the ball on kick-offs from the end zone to the 24 and it automatically goes to the 25. So I apologize to the player that fair caught it on the 2. You knew what you were doing, I did not. Anyway, beat Elon!
din23 liked this
 #3359  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 am
fufanatic wrote:
One point I wanted to correct from my in-game criticism. I didn't realize that there was a new rule this year that you can fair catch the ball on kick-offs from the end zone to the 24 and it automatically goes to the 25. So I apologize to the player that fair caught it on the 2. You knew what you were doing, I did not. Anyway, beat Elon!
It's a good rule. Kickoffs/returns are one of the few times in a game where both squads have a full head of steam in opposite directions. The rule eliminates a lot of unnecessary collisions.
 #3361  by Purpleglasses
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 am
The Jackal wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
It's a good rule. Kickoffs/returns are one of the few times in a game where both squads have a full head of steam in opposite directions. The rule eliminates a lot of unnecessary collisions.
on the above play, the officials threw a flag on FU for something (unsportsmanlike conduct etc) did anyone ever see an infraction? That put us in the hole on that possession the added another TD for them going into the half.
 #3362  by fufanatic
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 am
Purpleglasses wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
on the above play, the officials threw a flag on FU for something (unsportsmanlike conduct etc) did anyone ever see an infraction? That put us in the hole on that possession the added another TD for them going into the half.
I didn't, and the flag only added to my confusion. I assumed it was on Clemson, thus giving us better field position and bailing out the guy that fair caught it on the 2 a little bit. I was completely wrong all the way around.
 #3377  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:59 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 am
Purpleglasses wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
I didn't, and the flag only added to my confusion. I assumed it was on Clemson, thus giving us better field position and bailing out the guy that fair caught it on the 2 a little bit. I was completely wrong all the way around.
welp...I just watched it & I didn’t see anything, but the view was not good & the announcers were busy playing AFLAC Trivia, so, no replay of it. The Ref just said “...on the Receiving Team,” but did not name a Player’s number. Coach Hendrix was much more upset about that call than he was the overturned incompletion. Putting us in that hole led to the ‘dagger’ - Clemson got the ball on FU’s 38 & scored that TD before half that made it 27-0. Interestingly the Refs also called a penalty on the very next play - “...illegal shift. 2 men moving & not getting set prior to the snap”...and yep, there were 2 men moving in error, but the Left Wing clearly DID reset. It shouldn’t have been called. Clemson declined the penalty because the result was no gain, but it further shows, that from the time Clemson was only up 13-0 late in the half, backed up & facing punting to FU on 4th & 5, the zebras were bound & determined to exert their will on the outcome of those waning minutes...before the halftime score would be reported & analyzed on GameDay.