• Western Carolina

#92126  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:30 am
wcugrad95 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:07 pm
A couple of notes on our 2-deep. Don't really pay attention to who is listed as the starter at RB or any of the WR spots. It has been by committee and all of those guys will see lots of snaps. Cal Jones has been a really good player for a few years now, but he turned his ankle before the game last week and that is why he isn't listed as the starter. Jalynn Williams is back after not playing at all last year. He produced some good numbers 2 seasons ago in this offense, and gives us a 210+ pound option in short-yardage while still being a capable pass catcher.

On D we rotate a lot of guys now - more than last year, which was more than we did in previous seasons. We have given up a TON of yardage, but other than Montana and NC State it hasn't led to a whole lot of points. We lost the Campbell game primarily because of (tell me if you have heard this before) our O turning the ball over a ton of times and honestly putting our D in bad positions on more than 1 occassion. We also have gotten a few guys back from injury earlier in the year. I am hearing Ed Jones IV might make his first appearance of the season at Safety, and he is a guy we move around. Like Furman, we have also had some injuries (but not to the same degree you guys have).

Prior to the Citadel game, we had not been great in the redzone. So for Western to win more SOCON games we have to convert those trips, and honestly we need to do it with TDs instead of FGs. Cole has really started playing better tha past few games, but still his completion percentage has gone way up (on also having a lot of attempts), but his TDs are still low - particularly for a guy who had lots of 2+ TD games last year and set the WCU single-season record for TD tosses. He has a bunch of INTs this year, too. But I can remember at least 4 where it hit our guy in the hands and bounced up in the air. Sometimes the ball bounces the other way.

The only game we really tried to go over the top a lot was Montana, and it paid dividends. Tamarez had 8 catches for 229 yards and also drew a couple of PI calls, but oddly we kind of quit doing it. Both the NC State and Montana games were similar - we were a good team for 2.75 quarters and then kind of ran out of gas. I expect to see WCU to try and be very balanced in this game, but I do expect some mid-range passes in the middle of the field and at least a few shots over the top to test the FU backend.

I fully expect this to be a tough contest, especially @ Furman. I also expect the Paladins to have some offensive success regardless of who your QB is. The difference most likely will be which team bends but doesn't break - I can see both teams getting 400+ yards. And of course TOs and special teams plays (or blunders) could turn the tide in any game.

I'll try to refrain from adding more on your board. But if you have questions I'll try to answer them.
WCU grad, I think it’s great you are over here contributing. Wish there was more good SoCon discussion between teams. It ain’t just who we got. It’s who YOU got. We were never gonna beat Ole Miss. we should never lose to Stetson. Etc.

I have a question. Are you all the same or better or worse at stopping the run? We are DEFINITELY not the run team we have been. Ugh
 #92127  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:32 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:09 pm
Never forget we couldn’t watch it! Was so disappointed in western for not streaming the biggest game in their programs history
? It was on ESPN+ I think. I watched it somehow I’m pretty sure
 #92128  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:36 am
Anyway, someone upthread said this has been the annual Dominic Roberto game. That’s RIGHT ON. Western always struggles mightily (!) to stop a power run game. At least typically.

Here are prior three year.
2023 AT Western. Best team they had in year. We won 29-17 by gaining 500 yards and gashing them for 333 on ground !!!
2022 AT Furman. First no one could stop the other team. Neither defense was on display. Furman hung on vs a valiant western comeback and we won 47-40. Whew. Furman gained 425 (!!!) yards on the ground alone !! And roughly 500 yards total by adding 66 yards passing. It was RUN ALL DAY. 7.7 yards per carry. That’s what I’m talking about :D Western ate us alive too. Absolutely they did. 700 yards of O. 460 in the air. Sheesh
2021 AT western . The November game. Not Feb. western won 43-42. Western had 386 yards passing to our 100 yards passing. But again we CRUSHED rushing even in a loss. We ran for 316 vs the 152 of western. Roberto showed out as usual with 24 attempts for 196 yards and FOUR TDs !!!

So each of the last three games vs Western we have rushed for 300+. 400+. 300+.

So this game will be telling. Please get 150+ yards rushing to help Hedden etc.

—recent games ——

Citadel lost to western but Citadel out gained western 425 to 400. So close. The key is Citadel ran for 275 yards!!! Way more than they ran on us. Western only ran for 100 yds v Citadel. Western got it done through the air. 300 yards vs Citadels 150. I get the feeling watching our last drives v Citadel and these stats etc that Citadel just struggles with pass D. But the running game of Citadel vs Western gives me hope. However, the VAST majority of Citadel success on the ground (155 yards with a long of 34) was by the QB ! I would suspect and want a few designed keepers for Hedden. Maybe 5? Just to keep a D honest. western is not good at spying the Qb. At least not lately.
 #92129  by FUTex
 Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:24 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:59 pm
You know the old saying insanity is if you keep doing the same thing expecting different results, i.e. the running game. Throw the ball and use the entire field not just the sidelnes. One other thing stop with the alternate gear, stay with the classic.
I disagree apaladin. Insanity is not doing the same thing expecting different results. That would be an example of foolishness. Insanity is characterized by an unsoundness of mind. Therefor a better example would be doing the same thing over and over again, knowing that the results will be unsatisfactory, yet doing it anyway. Take for example the 2001 national championship game against Montana, when we ran what appeared to be the same running play over and over again right into a brick wall.

We don't know what the running game for the Paladins is yet. The O Line isn't settled in... indeed the entire team is so young. I contend it is far too early to say we shouldn't have a balanced offensive scheme.

CCH will have the team ready. He's the greatest coach since Rick Vice.

Recent Topics

User avatar Western Carolina

by FUTex

Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:24 am

User avatar Preseaon Poll

by apaladin

Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:34 pm

Default Avatar 10 Years Ago.....

by FurmanFan23

Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:32 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:25 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.