• Fun. You can't beat fun. Beatiing El Cid is fun.

#91603  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:10 am
Thanks for shout out to 1978!

Defeating the bellhops that day clinched our 1st-ever SoCon Championship after 42 seasons of trying. That game, and a single play (“The Stop”) run with 00:00 on the clock, to be more precise, set the table for all the Furman Football glory that has followed.

Maybe this win over the bellhops will be another turning point, for this season, at least.

Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #91605  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:37 am
It's going to be fun watching this offense continue to progress this season.
The second-half offense is a blueprint for moving forward. With Hedden at quarterback, we clicked playing uptempo.

A thought on Pryor. I saw him make a very athletic catch during the scrimmage. I'm not surprised at all that he's making an impact. You can see how our size Chappell (6-5) and Pryor (6-5) created match problems for the Dogs.

We've got two good young linebackers starting to settle in: Herbert and Earl.
Choir Boy, dornb liked this
 #91623  by tim
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:10 am
Thanks for shout out to 1978!

Defeating the bellhops that day clinched our 1st-ever SoCon Championship after 42 seasons of trying. That game, and a single play (“The Stop”) run with 00:00 on the clock, to be more precise, set the table for all the Furman Football glory that has followed.

Maybe this win over the bellhops will be another turning point, for this season, at least.

I was there. One of those people running out on the field was Art Baker who thought Mitchell was over. After the game I walked by the visitors dressing room and will never forget the screaming and crying. One guy had to be helped back down the sideline toward that hotel the visiting team stayed. Wonderful day.
 #91624  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:11 pm
Couple of thoughts:

1. As best I can tell from the record books, that was Furman's 4th consecutive win over the Citadel. That's notable. Since the 80s, the only run of 4 consecutive wins over the Bulldogs was 1999 to 2002.

2. The score is not atypical of Furman's games at the Citadel. Virtually every time we win at Johnson Haygood, the margin of victory is close (usually low scoring and within 10 points). We have won a lot of ugly football games there.

3. It's a little rare for a freshman to lead the Paladins to victory in Charleston. I believe JeMar Lincoln was a redshirt freshman in our win there in 2018 (though he attempted only 12 passes against our 211 rushing yards). PJ Blazejowski started as a true freshman in 2014, and had an outstanding day passing, but threw a couple of late crippling interceptions in the loss. I believe both Darren Grainger and Reese Hannon played the Citadel in Greenville as freshman and we lost soundly.

4. This young team has faced three road games this season:

- at #6 Ole Miss
- at FCS top 15 William & Mary
- at the Citadel at Johnson Haygood (a place even Furman's most talented teams have struggled).

Outside of maybe playing at the Fargo Dome or Washington Grizzly, its hard to imagine a tougher three game road draw for a young group.
dornb liked this
 #91628  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:11 pm
Couple of thoughts:

1. As best I can tell from the record books, that was Furman's 4th consecutive win over the Citadel. That's notable. Since the 80s, the only run of 4 consecutive wins over the Bulldogs was 1999 to 2002.

2. The score is not atypical of Furman's games at the Citadel. Virtually every time we win at Johnson Haygood, the margin of victory is close (usually low scoring and within 10 points). We have won a lot of ugly football games there.

3. It's a little rare for a freshman to lead the Paladins to victory in Charleston. I believe JeMar Lincoln was a redshirt freshman in our win there in 2018 (though he attempted only 12 passes against our 211 rushing yards). PJ Blazejowski started as a true freshman in 2014, and had an outstanding day passing, but threw a couple of late crippling interceptions in the loss. I believe both Darren Grainger and Reese Hannon played the Citadel in Greenville as freshman and we lost soundly.

4. This young team has faced three road games this season:

- at #6 Ole Miss
- at FCS top 15 William & Mary
- at the Citadel at Johnson Haygood (a place even Furman's most talented teams have struggled).

Outside of maybe playing at the Fargo Dome or Washington Grizzly, its hard to imagine a tougher three game road draw for a young group.
Two are very Tough for sure.

William and Mary is not too tough. Good but barely survived Woff who doesn’t look great and now lost yesterday. I suspect they were overrated

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman Citadel summary

by AstroDin

Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:41 pm

Default Avatar Remembering Bryce, Part 2

by DanScott

Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:40 pm

User avatar Fun. You can't beat fun. Beatiing El Cid is fun.

by apaladin

Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:45 pm

User avatar VEGAS says ---

by apaladin

Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:35 pm

Default Avatar CITADEL GAME THREAD

by tya1

Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:09 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.