• Furman Citadel summary

#91599  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:34 pm
Love to hear your thoughts - positives and where to improve. Game thread gets long.

GREAT TO WIN

GREAT TO BEAT CITADEL !!!

QB and others grew up today. Loved to see how the D - even 40 came out of injury tent - to celebrate and congratulate the O !!

what a half by a FR QB ! He grew up a lot. The whole team - especially offense - did !!

We made some GREAT CATCHES. TE, WRs some tough catches were made. Very impressive !!!

Pass pro was pretty good …

Our DL did well vs the middle (between tackles) runs of the Citadel

ONLY ONE TURNOVER. HUGE. Much better ! Even turnover ratio

Need to improve -

PLEASE get some run game. PLEASE. Some run blocking by the OL !! Watching us is like watching old Wake Forest. Finesse passing with no power MAN ON MAN run. game. Strange. Just surreal from a Furman and CCH team.

Pass protection from our RBs. We whiffed some here. Hidden took some big hits because of this.

Option defense? Man we struggled getting the pitch man. Like if someone could explain what block was springing the option against us ? . Was our DB getting shoved and beat by WR blocking. Was their tackle or TE beating our DE or edge on some such. Because that option play they ran was extremely successful over and over

Penalties at very inopportune times. Jump offsides gives 1st down to Citadel. Facemask gives 1st down. Seemed we would have them stopped on third. Give first down with penalty... they go on to get a TD or usually a FG. SEEMED many penalties were on 3rd down. To be fair I think we on,y had five penalties which is much better !
 #91607  by Paul C
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:40 am
I think our D is becoming a strength.

If The Greatest Defense In FCS History (tm) from Macon surrendered 393 yards and 21 points to the offensive juggernaut aka The Citadel, then any team that holds said juggernaut to just 257 yards and 16 points should be spoken of in quite grandiose terms.
FUBeAR, AstroDin liked this
 #91625  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:46 pm
Paul C wrote:

If The Greatest Defense In FCS History (tm) from Macon surrendered 393 yards and 21 points to the offensive juggernaut aka The Citadel, then any team that holds said juggernaut to just 257 yards and 16 points should be spoken of in quite grandiose terms.
Worth mentioning.

This is our 4th FCS game. Furman has not surrendered more than 143 passing yards. The last two opponents W&M (98) and the Citadel (103) were held right around 100 yards passing.

Roughly half of the Citadel's total passing output came on one play - a screen pass in the first quarter for 48 yards. The Bulldogs were averaging 191 over their other 5 games. They threw for 304 against Mercer.

I believe Charleston Southern was the only FCS team to exceed 50% completion percentage, and just barely (11-23 (52%)).

One game, maybe an outlier. You do that four straight times and it's a trend. This from a defense that returned - what - three starters and lost three safeties before the season really began?
 #91626  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:49 pm
Paul C wrote:

Agree
ESPECIALLY when put in light they were on the field THE ENTIRE GAME !! No help from the O to give D a rest. And even at end we scored quickly with passing O. Never a nice 70 yard drive with numerous runs to let the D rest. The Citadel D had MUCH more time to rest.

The one thing that beat our D yesterday was the outside option pitch.
 #91627  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:58 pm
One weakness we have not mentioned …

SPECIA TEAMS COACHING. CSU with the easy 2 point conversion as if we weren’t prepared.

AND now that Fake FG WOULD HAVE WORKED BY Citadel. First down for sure. Maybe more ! It was like a wide open WR who just drops ball. The coaching was there by Citadel they just fumbled it away with missed execution. But it was there for the taking !! We weren’t gonna stop him short of a first if he doesn’t dropp the ball.

They clearly saw something on film that we were lined up too much “inside”
Or something. Let our rusher come in and just take the outside. If they get that we may never win. It may not go in box score as a “turnover” but it was ! Instead of 3 or 7 more points for them. Stays 10-0

My point is thts TWICE ina few FCS games the opposing coaches have caught us in a bad line up on Special Teams. That will cost a game. Maybe it already did vs. CSU ? Take that 2 points away…
 #91634  by FUTex
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:15 pm
To one of GF's point, the D was on the field all day. Time-of-Possession (rounded) was:
Furman 22 minutes, Citadel 38 minutes.

When was the last time you noticed such a lopsided TOP and the short-end got the victory? I'm sure they're out there, I just haven't noticed them.

Remember the old saw "The team that rushes more is the winner". I've always taken that to mean they rush more because they can, and that eats up more TOP, so they're not independent variables. Still, you get my point.

My conclusion is if the Paladins fix their rushing game, which may be tied to the Lawnchair O-Line scheme, then the D wouldn't have been on the field all day long, and the score wouldn't have been so close.
 #91636  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:41 pm
^^^ it looked to me like The Citadel was gassed on both sides of the ball as the 4th rolled on.

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman Citadel summary

by AstroDin

Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:41 pm

Default Avatar Remembering Bryce, Part 2

by DanScott

Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:40 pm

User avatar Fun. You can't beat fun. Beatiing El Cid is fun.

by apaladin

Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:45 pm

User avatar VEGAS says ---

by apaladin

Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:35 pm

Default Avatar CITADEL GAME THREAD

by tya1

Sun Oct 06, 2024 3:09 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.