• Game postponed

#91380  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:31 am
All good, I agree with you guys the football game is not important...
 #91382  by Sad Din
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:35 am
probably the right decision... but CU played and look at what ETSU did to play. Luckily iit worked out for them but if a tradegy had occurred there would be lots of explaining to do....

#91383  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:38 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:31 am
All good, I agree with you guys the football game is not important...
FINALLY - we agree on something!!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #91386  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:33 am
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:35 am
probably the right decision... but CU played and look at what ETSU did to play. Luckily iit worked out for them but if a tradegy had occurred there would be lots of explaining to do....
From what I can see, Clemson is taking heat for playing yesterday. A lot of resources were diverted there for a football game when there is such an acute need in the region for those resources.

I'd be interested to know whether ETSU's administration, knowing what they now know, would have made the same call with regard to their student athletes. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
 #91387  by Paladingirl
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:18 pm
The players don’t have power, are taking cold showers, and are being offered meals like cereal and bagels. I would bet they are thankful to have food, water, and a dry place to sleep. The university is doing everything they can to take care of all students right now. This was an unprecedented event for Greenville of epic proportion. The football game was rightly not a priority for yesterday. The staff will figure out logistics and will want to play this game.
AstroDin, Bootie, bj93 and 1 others liked this
 #91388  by FUATT
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:57 pm
Paladingirl wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:18 pm
The players don’t have power, are taking cold showers, and are being offered meals like cereal and bagels. I would bet they are thankful to have food, water, and a dry place to sleep. The university is doing everything they can to take care of all students right now. This was an unprecedented event for Greenville of epic proportion. The football game was rightly not a priority for yesterday. The staff will figure out logistics and will want to play this game.
This is a good take.

Furman was told by power company they were not likely to have power by Wednesday.

You have to consider the effects of all this. I was told that the Head of the officiating crew for the game was unable to get out of his neighborhood as of Friday night, for instance.

We wanted to play. I know at some point there was even consideration of whether we could play at Clemson on Sunday. But it was not feasible.

Staff is hard at work today game planning for Citadel. I'm pretty confident that we did what we reasonably could to try to play, but the impact on the campus is pretty extraordinary.
 #91389  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:44 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:17 am
Wow, I'm blown away by the pity party postings about the admin not doing enough to ensure a 'game' could be played. I guess that should have succeeded in any planning to ensure a campus full of students is safe.

Sometimes, things that happen in this world and life are more important than football.

My wife and I are the only ones with power on both sides of our families. My mother, who lives near Furman, has two trees down on her house, one of which demolished her carport, and the electric lines going to the house are down. We're hearing midweek about the possibility of power being restored.

As someone else mentioned, have you tried going anywhere in Greenville County? The roads are a nightmare, and people are panic-buying everything. You take your life into your own hands trying to navigate an intersection without red lights around here.
Astro. No offense. You’re a great guy.

But . I’ll take the bait because it’s an honest answer of my week . HONEST. Probably glad that we didnt play football. I’ve come to that conclusion. … but I ABSOLUTELY HAVE BEEN DRIVING. WE WENT OUT TO EAT THAT FRIDAY NIGHT. Lieu’s Asian bistro. EASY PEEZY. drove out. Drove home. Treat everything as a four way stop. This is nothing. DROVE TO GET GAS THREE TIMES for family members. EASY AS SHIZZLE. just go get it. What are people afraid Of?? THE ONLY THING TO FEAR IS FEAR ITSELF. - as someone smarter than you and I said. Stay calm. No problems. Out driving now. Went to Papas and beer. Went to see my grandmother. Driving to work tomorrow. - I AM REQUIRED TO. Keep calm and drive on :D

AND AGAIN MY WIFE WAS - rightfully - REQUIRED TO DRIVE TO WORK ON FRIDAY. Why not? It was 2 pm. Her work had power. It was better than being at home.

Stay at home if you want. But the roads are easy in most areas. A funny example. USE LOGIC. when I was at Milliken it snowed about a foot one year. So you can easily tell my old school attitude from what I have said. . I go to work. Weather is not an issue. Case closed. So when I said I couldn’t get to work I mean I really couldn’t get there. I tried. Several times. Slid off road. So gave up. Called in. They said “why can’t you get here”? I said my Mazda honestly won’t handle this snow…. They said “oh so you just need a ride? “. Yep. That is Right. They sent a 4x4 to get me. I LOVED IT. I mean they were right. they took my stated issue and solved it. My car wouldn’t do it but theirs would so I had no excuse. They were 100% right. I couldn’t argue. They solved my issue. They continued to pick me up all week. Good deal. The only reason someone wouldn’t agree with that is if they are actively looking to avoid work

No hard feelings at all. Just a difference of opinion. I’m on Haywood now.

*****If anyone wants gas, the station across from Papas and beer on Haywood has it now. As in right now.
So does the one near 85/Pelham across from Waffle House. Or they did last night. I got mine there
 #91390  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:04 pm
GoFu … you're so full of it!
Of course, you can go out - today.
The roads are still a mess in areas—lights are out—and on Haywood, very little is open or has power.
Your take is inconsiderate of all the people without power - my mother was just told maybe Friday.
Glad you're doing fine!
 #91391  by soconjohn
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:04 pm
It's nice to be safe and unscathed by a storm that could have been fatal for those in its direct path...I'll take that 1000% over playing a game...We need to be praying for our friends at WCU...They took a rough hit...Some of the pictures of the devastation up there are tragic...There is still a lot of the season left to worry about one game.

Recent Topics

User avatar Game postponed

by soconjohn

Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:04 pm

User avatar TV for Practice at the Well tonite?

by Flagman

Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar F Lane Kiffin

by Flagman

Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:14 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:34 am

User avatar SOCON WEEK 5

by AllTimeFU

Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:48 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.