• Game postponed

#91355  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:33 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:33 pm
Why can they play in Spartanburg and not in Greenville? Is the power out at FU? Lots of damage? TV showed a fair amount of trees down on the Wofford campus.

Can the game be played tomorrow afternoon or Monday afternoon/night?
My guess would include lots of storm damage on Furman’s campus making it unsafe & unsuitable for fans to attend. Plus the travel conditions along the route from Samford to Furman as well as from all the places Furman fans travel from may be unsuitable - debris & tress down, businesses closed, no power. Overall, just unwise to play, taking everything into consideration. I still suspect the game may be made up, possible even November 29 if both teams fail to make playoffs - and we may not know that before Nov 24.
 #91357  by Roundball
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:38 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Why can they play in Spartanburg and not in Greenville? Is the power out at FU? Lots of damage? TV showed a fair amount of trees down on the Wofford campus.

It was Family Weekend at Furman. No hotels open. Most restaurants closed. The campus had no power when the decision was made. Plus, yes, it was worse in Greenville than in Spartanburg. Greenville caught the right side of the eye wall of the storm. My neighbor (tree hit house) says Allstate coded the damage in the Upstate as Code Orange, with Code Red being the worst. It is going to take more than a week to get power fully restored. It was the right decision to cancel the game.
Last edited by Roundball on Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #91358  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:54 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:38 pm
Both teams in the middle of pretty bad seasons so far, probably both were fine with not playing.......

I would assume this is probably close to completely wrong.
I am not saying players don't want to play (I know they do), I am saying administration ;)

And yes 100% both teams are having bad years to date unfortunately...
 #91360  by tim
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:31 pm
It's as good as a loss.Devastating to conf championship or playoff hopes. Can't lose one now.
 #91365  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:05 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Both teams in the middle of pretty bad seasons so far, probably both were fine with not playing.......
Ridiculous comment.
 #91366  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:07 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

No power. 90% of Greenville with no power. That should tell the story.
 #91367  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:10 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

I am not saying players don't want to play (I know they do), I am saying administration ;)

Stupid cover-up response.
 #91368  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:11 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:10 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Stupid cover-up response.

Relax geez...

I guarantee nothing would have stopped us from playing Sammy at Woffy (for example) tomorrow if we were that serious about getting this game played...
Its probably just not important enough though and not worth the time/effort/money to figure all that stuff out, honestly can't say I blame them...
 #91371  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:50 pm
Furman & Samford are both undefeated in the SoCon.

Furman, with a young & developing Team, just lost a close hard-fought game on the road to what is quite possibly an FCS Top 10 Team.

The conjecture that either of these Teams don’t/didn’t really want to play this game is ludicrous … and stupid.
din23 liked this
 #91372  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:57 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:38 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

It was Family Weekend at Furman. No hotels open. Most restaurants closed. The campus had no power when the decision was made. Plus, yes, it was worse in Greenville than in Spartanburg. Greenville caught the right side of the eye wall of the storm. My neighbor (tree hit house) says Allstate coded our damage as Code Orange, with Code Red being the worst. It is going to take more than a week to get power fully restored. It was the right decision to cancel the game.
Got it. I figured it was something like that.
 #91374  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:32 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Furman, with a young & developing Team, just lost a close hard-fought game on the road to what is quite possibly an FCS Top 10 Team.

The conjecture that either of these Teams don’t/didn’t really want to play this game is ludicrous … and stupid.
Also FU has lost to Chuck Southern and Sammy has lost to West Georgia, those are embarrassing loses unfortunately...
No conjecture about the team, if it was misunderstood what I meant then so be it as its really no big deal, but you all gotta admit it seems the admin is not super motivated to make the game go forward, otherwise they would have come up with a plan to play 'somewhere on Sunday'....
 #91375  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:40 am
I’m going to choose to believe you are not saying they aren’t motivated to actually play, but rather dealing with a completely disheveled group of students with no power. The staff is likely dealing with much of the same. With all of the distractions I really doubt we’d see our best effort. There just happen to be some bigger issues to deal with than the football game. Heck, just getting ready for the Citadel game will be a challenge and that’s 6 days away.
 #91376  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:46 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:32 am
FUBeAR wrote:

FU has lost to Chuck Southern
Sammy has lost to West Georgia
those are embarrassing loses

[Therefore] the admin is not super motivated to make the game go forward
People sweat
Sweat is salty
People swim in the ocean
The ocean is salty

Therefore, people CAUSE the ocean to be salty.
 #91378  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:06 am
A lot of dumb stuff gets posted on here.

According to press releases from the university, the campus does not have electricity. Many of the roads to campus are just now being cleared. There is limited supplies on gasoline. That's what we know now, as opposed to what we knew on Friday when a school from Alabama had to make the decision on whether they were driving to South Carolina to play a Saturday football game.

https://www.furman.edu/news/furman-moni ... l-cyclone/
Update Sept. 28, 12:30 p.m.

Crews have made progress clearing trees and debris from the main roads on Furman’s campus but there are still widespread power outages and damage from trees and flooding in the Upstate through Western North Carolina. Gasoline is in short supply and most businesses in the region are closed.

Campus is still without electricity. Duke Power has notified Furman that their crews will not be able to address Furman’s outage until tomorrow at the earliest, and power might not be restored until Tuesday. The lack of power and full access to the internet greatly impacts students’ living conditions, classrooms, dining and activities. Moreover, the vast majority of Furman’s faculty and staff do not have power at home, and many are dealing with storm damage and the potential need for immediate childcare next week if the local school system closes. With these factors in mind, the Furman campus will remain closed, and all classes and activities are canceled through at least Wednesday, Oct. 2. Because of the number of power outages and lack of access to the internet, there will be no online or asynchronous learning Monday through Wednesday.
Yes, Wofford played at home. So what? Storms effect different areas differently. Spartanburg is close to Furman, but the effects from the storm aren't the same. Asheville is close to Furman, too, and that city suffered catastrophic flooding.
AstroDin, din23 liked this
 #91379  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:17 am
Wow, I'm blown away by the pity party postings about the admin not doing enough to ensure a 'game' could be played. I guess that should have succeeded in any planning to ensure a campus full of students is safe.

Sometimes, things that happen in this world and life are more important than football.

My wife and I are the only ones with power on both sides of our families. My mother, who lives near Furman, has two trees down on her house, one of which demolished her carport, and the electric lines going to the house are down. We're hearing midweek about the possibility of power being restored.

As someone else mentioned, have you tried going anywhere in Greenville County? The roads are a nightmare, and people are panic-buying everything. You take your life into your own hands trying to navigate an intersection without red lights around here.

Recent Topics

User avatar TV for Practice at the Well tonite?

by Flagman

Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar F Lane Kiffin

by Flagman

Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:14 am

User avatar Game postponed

by AllTimeFU

Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:34 am

User avatar SOCON WEEK 5

by AllTimeFU

Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:48 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.