• SOCON WEEK 5

#91111  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:49 pm
Conference season heats up a little this week. VMI and WCU are idle.
1:30. MERCER @ WOFFORD Mercer looking to go 3-0 already. Should know more about WC after this one.
2:00. ETSU @ CITADEL ETSU the surprise so far. Maybe the best in SoCon? Look for a blowout.
2:00. SAMFORD @ FURMAN Must win for both struggling teams, a loss and you’re done.
6:00 PORTLAND STATE @ CHATTANOOGA Interesting intersectional game.
 #91126  by Louis Tully
 Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:34 pm
SoCon is wide open this year. Going to be fun to watch.
 #91129  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
1:30. MERCER @ WOFFORD Mercer looking to go 3-0 already. Should know more about WC after this one.
2:00. ETSU @ CITADEL ETSU the surprise so far. Maybe the best in SoCon? Look for a blowout.
2:00. SAMFORD @ FURMAN Must win for both struggling teams, a loss and you’re done.
Done with what?

Since 2000, 17 times the SoCon champs have had one or more losses in the conference.
Stumpy liked this
 #91130  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:12 pm
I agree. I’m betting it will be an 18th this year.
 #91131  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
Done with what?

Since 2000, 17 times the SoCon champs have had one or more losses in the conference.
Just saying that a loss here with all the tough games left, it is not impossible, but very unlikely.
 #91136  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:39 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:34 pm
SoCon is wide open this year. Going to be fun to watch.
Just a different take. Different people. Different opinions. My opinion is usually wrong. Lol. :D

Wide open is not fun. I want FURMAN DOMINATION. ABSOLUTE FREAKIN DOMINATION. Losing hurts. then the the others can have it be wide open for second place.

I’m a serious dude. I never want a “good exciting game that’s close”. I want a game we CRUSH … we have had two close exciting games already. And taken two Losses.

I want to be bored out of my mind with nice Furman wins of 50-0. Montana OT - fun. Exciting. Great atmosphere. close. Result - . LOSS
Samford BAD CALL game two years back. Exciting. Fun. Result - . LOSS. cost us a SoCon title. !!!
UIW. Playoff game. Close exciting. Result ? LOSS

Had a good coach when I was a youngster. He said who wants fun? Then he said for us to shut the heck up. Told us WINNING IS FUN. Nothing else. Waited until we lost. Asked us “was that fun?” We learned our lesson.

I don’t think we are crushing this year. But that’s always what I want. Also, if you struggle several times in conference you aren’t winning a national title. SDSU and NDSU generally only drop one FCS game or two in regular season. I want us to win a national title. Sweep the leg !!!!!!
apaladin liked this
 #91143  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:13 pm
apaladin wrote:

Mercer/Wofford should be a good game. I still expect Mercer to win. Wofford is improved, but to this point Mercer has still looked better. Wofford defended the run against W&M better than we did though. So, if they can take away the run enough against Mercer to make the QB throw more than they want, then maybe they'll have a chance? Still feels like more than a 1 score win for Mercer.

ETSU/The Citadel: ETSU was always going to be the team with the largest variance of possible win/loss total this year. They weren't good last year, but they have a new coach who brought a lot of his guys from Gardner Webb, so the learning curve isn't as steep as it used to be. To this point, they certainly look like they are going to be on the high end of expectations. Lamb is obviously a good young coach. Citadel is definitely better as well, but losing to the Citadel after ETSU's last two weeks would be shocking.

PSU/UTC: This one shouldn't be close. PSU is not good and is only a couple weeks removed from a pertussis outbreak on their team that caused them to cancel a game. Add in coming across the country to a team coming off a bye week and you wouldn't expect this one to be close.

Samford/Furman: I'm hopeful Furman can win this one. Crittendon's running ability does concern me a little, but you would hope after W&M that we'll be better there with a week of practice. Need to have a week where Hedden doesn't turn it over 3 times. I still feel like there are so many things that we aren't doing well that Furman teams normally do well. Too many penalties, missing short FGs, not being able to run the ball consistently (resulting in not being able to sustain drives), etc. I'm going to choose to believe that we will eventually get it cleared up. If we do that, we'll have a chance to win every game left on the schedule...I think. Not saying any of them will be easy.
 #91145  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:47 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:13 pm
apaladin wrote:

Mercer/Wofford should be a good game. I still expect Mercer to win. Wofford is improved, but to this point Mercer has still looked better. Wofford defended the run against W&M better than we did though. So, if they can take away the run enough against Mercer to make the QB throw more than they want, then maybe they'll have a chance? Still feels like more than a 1 score win for Mercer.

ETSU/The Citadel: ETSU was always going to be the team with the largest variance of possible win/loss total this year. They weren't good last year, but they have a new coach who brought a lot of his guys from Gardner Webb, so the learning curve isn't as steep as it used to be. To this point, they certainly look like they are going to be on the high end of expectations. Lamb is obviously a good young coach. Citadel is definitely better as well, but losing to the Citadel after ETSU's last two weeks would be shocking.

PSU/UTC: This one shouldn't be close. PSU is not good and is only a couple weeks removed from a pertussis outbreak on their team that caused them to cancel a game. Add in coming across the country to a team coming off a bye week and you wouldn't expect this one to be close.

Samford/Furman: I'm hopeful Furman can win this one. Crittendon's running ability does concern me a little, but you would hope after W&M that we'll be better there with a week of practice. Need to have a week where Hedden doesn't turn it over 3 times. I still feel like there are so many things that we aren't doing well that Furman teams normally do well. Too many penalties, missing short FGs, not being able to run the ball consistently (resulting in not being able to sustain drives), etc. I'm going to choose to believe that we will eventually get it cleared up. If we do that, we'll have a chance to win every game left on the schedule...I think. Not saying any of them will be easy.
THIS.

We need three things.
- RUN the ball better
- STOP the run far better
- Quit with the penalties. This a weird one. Even younger Furman teams I have seen have had less penalties. Quit beating ourselves. We are almost always top three in least penalties. Every year. Even years with several freshman.
 #91146  by Davemeister
 Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:02 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:47 pm
We need three things.
- RUN the ball better
- STOP the run far better
- Quit with the penalties. This a weird one. Even younger Furman teams I have seen have had less penalties. Quit beating ourselves. We are almost always top three in least penalties. Every year. Even years with several freshman.

A fourth thing:
-STOP turning the ball over.
 #91148  by Stumpy
 Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:52 pm
The penalties bother me more than anything else.
 #91150  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:55 pm
Stumpy wrote:
I'm with you, but a few of them on Saturday I was pretty iffy on.
 #91153  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:35 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:55 pm
Stumpy wrote:
I'm with you, but a few of them on Saturday I was pretty iffy on.
So was Hendrix. Said he disagreed with both PI's and this is the 2nd time they were called for holding inside the 5 and neither showed up on film.

Recent Topics

User avatar Purple Helmets

by bj93

Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:11 pm

User avatar Remembering Bryce

by dornb

Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:50 pm

User avatar SOCON WEEK 5

by FUwolfpacker

Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:35 pm

User avatar Bob Richey interview 9/23

by FU Hoopla

Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:08 pm

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:57 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.