• FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

#91062  by FU3
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:56 pm
I don’t think this loss was due to us getting out coached. W&M is a good team loaded with SR talent. Our D had an uncharacteristic bad night tackling and got dominated by a big O line and some good backs. We still had a chance to steal a win on the road late into the 4th quarter.
I really like this team, loads of talent( how about our young tight ends making play after play) and the effort is always there.Little doubt this year is going to have a lot of up and down moments due to all the youngsters we are playing.
QCGlue, AllTimeFU, Bootie liked this
 #91063  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:57 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:47 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:32 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:26 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:13 pm
if we could just stop the run...amazing
I heard - just got on radio - they had 384 yards rushing and we had EIGHTY EIGHTY. Wow. When is the last time a team had THREE HUNDRED MORE rushing yards than us??

And I think Harris may be out more weeks
My view of our rushing game is that Hicks and Robinson are better suited to a power scheme. They, like Abrams, Roberto, Wynn, etc., were not really recruited for this zone scheme in Roper's offense. They do better getting north south.

Later in the game, and on the touchdown runs, we started to run them between the tackles. They started to have more success.

I'm not sure we expected Furman to struggle running the ball. Passing game is fine. Protection is fine. We've just gotta start getting some yards on the ground.
Jackal thanks. Appreciate the help analysis sir

Bronson Yoder is one of the best backs in the FCS. They have a big veteran offensive line headlined by an NFL prospect. He was going to get his yards.

The guy we struggled with was the QB. He reminded me of Tyrie Adams, the QB for Western Carolina a few seasons back - a guy you simply could not afford to let get out of the pocket.

At bottom, W&M is where we were last year. They are loaded with veterans and have some excellent players on offense. They were just a bit too much for us tonight. We had our shots, just didn't finish.
Right. SENIORS MATTER. SENIORS WIN

Compare our last year to this year.

I always love Furman Football. Always. .
why I’m not big on the “time for our new guys to play” theory I see sometimes here. Young guys will generally lose vs Older guys.
 #91064  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:01 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:48 pm
Convert that last drive into a TD where we kicked the field goal and I think we win. We were competitive against a top 12 team on the road with a true freshman QB. I see a lot of positives. Young team, doesn't know how to win yet but getting better every week. We'll win more than we lose in the SoCon.
I think this is just one of those seasons where we can't expect this year's team to be last year's team.
 #91065  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:02 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
jesse174 wrote:
I heard - just got on radio - they had 384 yards rushing and we had EIGHTY EIGHTY. Wow. When is the last time a team had THREE HUNDRED MORE rushing yards than us??

My view of our rushing game is that Hicks and Robinson are better suited to a power scheme. They, like Abrams, Roberto, Wynn, etc., were not really recruited for this zone scheme in Roper's offense. They do better getting north south.

Later in the game, and on the touchdown runs, we started to run them between the tackles. They started to have more success.

I'm not sure we expected Furman to struggle running the ball. Passing game is fine. Protection is fine. We've just gotta start getting some yards on the ground.

Bronson Yoder is one of the best backs in the FCS. They have a big veteran offensive line headlined by an NFL prospect. He was going to get his yards.

The guy we struggled with was the QB. He reminded me of Tyrie Adams, the QB for Western Carolina a few seasons back - a guy you simply could not afford to let get out of the pocket.

At bottom, W&M is where we were last year. They are loaded with veterans and have some excellent players on offense. They were just a bit too much for us tonight. We had our shots, just didn't finish.

why I’m not big on the “time for our new guys to play” theory I see sometimes here. Young guys will generally lose vs Older guys.
We don't have a lot of older guys at certain positions.

The young guys we have are really talented, and they need the reps.

we can't complain that our team is "inexperienced" and then also complain that the younger guys are playing.
 #91066  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:16 pm
Has to be the worst coached game I have seen in the CCH era. They need ti get much better.
What are your issues with coaching?

I realize you are going to complain about anything. You can't complain about the pass defense today, so what did the coaches do that bothered you so badly?
Did you watch the game? Terrible subbing all night. To start after going up 14-0, 40 and 0 go to the bench and they go right down and score. I realize 0 and 40 can’t play every down, but they are on the bench too much. All of their points and most of the yardage came with those 2 on the bench including the last td. Chappell not in the game on third down late with game on the line, Trying a fg late on 4th and one at their 4. Not playing to win. Kicking a fg with 6 to go knowing there is a good chance they would not get the ball back. Getting great field position with 10 to go and try the bomb which is intercepted. Bad, really bad. 2nd and 10, we just waist a down and run for 2 yds. Calling 3 and outs on 3rd down when you need 8. Bad play calling all night. Coaches had a bad night, hopefully they will get better.
 #91067  by Afurmanfan
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:24 pm
I like this team and this coaching staff. 31 of the 60 players who travelled were either red shirt or true freshman. This is the flip side of last year and knowledgeable fans understand this.
This is a good group of talent and hung in there against a very senior team and fought to the end.
The negatoids who post here are always the same people.
 #91068  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:02 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
jesse174 wrote:

We don't have a lot of older guys at certain positions.

The young guys we have are really talented, and they need the reps.

we can't complain that our team is "inexperienced" and then also complain that the younger guys are playing.
Jackal. I agree with most of what you are stating here post game.

I REALLY think it would help us if we could just find 150 yards rushing on our side. A 3 yard per carry average even. Just enough to deflect some pressure from our passing game.

Again I didn’t see this game. But 384 yards rushing by them :o I know. Great senior OL. Yoder. Great QB reads. I keep up. But man. I bet we haven’t given up 384 rushing since I honestly don’t know when ???? .
 #91069  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:27 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
I like this team and this coaching staff. 31 of the 60 players who travelled were either red shirt or true freshman. This is the flip side of last year and knowledgeable fans understand this.
This is a good group of talent and hung in there against a very senior team and fought to the end.
Yep. I made sure we had a thread on preseason guess at record. I’ve got to quit being so positive. I said 8-4

:D

Couldn’t listen. As I’ve stated.
Honest question.

Which areas did we improve?

Who played well.

Yeah I saw the rushing stats and missed short FGs and PENALTIES.
 #91071  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Has to be the worst coached game I have seen in the CCH era. They need ti get much better.

I realize you are going to complain about anything. You can't complain about the pass defense today, so what did the coaches do that bothered you so badly?
Did you watch the game? Terrible subbing all night. To start after going up 14-0, 40 and 0 go to the bench and they go right down and score. I realize 0 and 40 can’t play every down, but they are on the bench too much. All of their points and most of the yardage came with those 2 on the bench including the last td. Chappell not in the game on third down late with game on the line, Trying a fg late on 4th and one at their 4. Not playing to win. Kicking a fg with 6 to go knowing there is a good chance they would not get the ball back. Getting great field position with 10 to go and try the bomb which is intercepted. Bad, really bad. 2nd and 10, we just waist a down and run for 2 yds. Calling 3 and outs on 3rd down when you need 8. Bad play calling all night. Coaches had a bad night, hopefully they will get better.
Yes, I watched the game, and really none of that is a bad coaching decision.

You can dislike that our defense substitutes their defensive linemen every series. They do it every game. They've done it since Vaughn became the defensive coordinator. You can disagree with the philosophy, but it's our coaching philosophy.

We went for it on 4th down inside the 10 yard line twice. How is that not playing to win?

Shot plays after turnovers are common at every level of football. Hedden didn't make a great throw, but there's nothing wrong with the call. We hit big passing plays all night.

The only real coaching issue I saw was for the second time this season we had two players with the same jersey number on the field at the same time. That has got to get cleaned up and forced us to use a timeout we desperately could have used later in the game.
Paladin82 liked this
 #91072  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:52 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
On a positive note, maybe we can go a week without complaining about our young secondary after holding them to 38% completions and 98 yards (about of third of which came on one play in the final drive when we sold out to stop the run).
 #91073  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:52 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
On a positive note, maybe we can go a week without complaining about our young secondary after holding them to
s (about of third of which came on one play in the final drive when we sold out to stop the run).
Yes. I was looking at stats and more so heard the post game show. That’s what we need is IMPROVEMENT-

Great !!!

Was our pass pro pretty decent ?

Man just get 150 yards and some decent runs.
 #91074  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:16 pm
38 yards rushing in the first half when you are trying to dictate is a real killer. We ended with 88. Last week Gavin Hall out rushed our starting 3 RBs. I would like to see some mixing up the OL. How do we get more untouched runs? Good thoughts in prior post on power vs zone runners. Might be on to something. On to the SoCon. Let’s run the tables. I believe!

https://x.com/paladinfootball/status/1 ... 1gHJrYjv4w
 #91076  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Yes, I watched the game, and really none of that is a bad coaching decision.

You can dislike that our defense substitutes their defensive linemen every series. They do it every game. They've done it since Vaughn became the defensive coordinator. You can disagree with the philosophy, but it's our coaching philosophy.

We went for it on 4th down inside the 10 yard line twice. How is that not playing to win?

Shot plays after turnovers are common at every level of football. Hedden didn't make a great throw, but there's nothing wrong with the call. We hit big passing plays all night.

The only real coaching issue I saw was for the second time this season we had two players with the same jersey number on the field at the same time. That has got to get cleaned up and forced us to use a timeout we desperately could have used later in the game.
I certainly respect you and your opinion but when we had 2nd and 10 at their 15 on the last drive we run the middle for no gain, then on 3rd and 10 we throw a sideway pass to the 15 even if complete it would go nowhere. We did not test/press their defense at all. If I am playing defense those 2 calls are what I want. Niether had any chance. Bad play calling period IMHO. We then kick a fg and throw in the towel. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but it basically came down do you want a chance or not. Regardless how small we had one more chance and turned it down. Play to win not play and hope to win. After the fg we had very little chance of getting the ball back when their QB had already run for 500 yds and with our young secondary. Both were instrumental in their keeping the ball.
 #91078  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:32 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:16 pm

38 yards rushing in the first half when you are trying to dictate is a real killer. We ended with 88. Last week Gavin Hall out rushed our starting 3 RBs. I would like to see some mixing up the OL. How do we get more untouched runs? Good thoughts in prior post on power vs zone runners. Might be on to something. On to the SoCon. Let’s run the tables. I believe!

https://x.com/paladinfootball/status/1 ... 1gHJrYjv4w
This is my thing. We aren’t that young on the OL. NOT young enough for 88 yard games. I was thinking 150 minimum - maybe it’s what Jackal is theorizing. But our OL runs Freshman (center). . Sophomore. Junior. Junior. Senior. A little young but not too young

The best thing we could do for Hedden is give him some running help. Again, as CCH himself preaches(!) you win by running the ball and stopping the run. So this is just a little hard for me as an old school FU fan. Glad we have the pass now. !! But let’s get back to some rush yards ALSO. I am sure they are working on it. Maybe we just don’t have the right guys right niw
 #91080  by Thorny
 Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
jesse174 wrote:
I WAS positive. Then I heard - just got on radio - they had 384 yards rushing and we had EIGHTY EIGHTY. Wow. When is the last time a team had THREE HUNDRED MORE rushing yards than us??

As someone who has no idea what they are talking about:

I always loved the big bruiser running backs. My love of football developed watching Felton and I am never a fan of getting away from that style of football.

Secondly, I don't know how this offense is supposed to work but I imagine most competent running backs can get reliable yardage regardless of the offense. They might be better suited for one offense or another but I still expect yardage. Our rushing yardage was mediocre at best which makes me suspect that it's either the offensive line (were they recruited for this style of offense?) or players are having trouble executing the plays called. Given the number of penalties I don't think any of us would be surprised if that sloppiness continued into execution.

I think both Furman and W&M have a lot to be unhappy about how this game went. I'm not surprised given our youth that their are slip ups in the passing game, both offensively and defensively. I am surprised that offensively we can't seem to have a competent running game. Given our players, coaches, experience, etc. an average rushing attack *should* be doable.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by FUTex

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:26 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.