• Next opponent. Bill and Mary

#90938  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:37 pm
I think some of the coverage issues will probably be improved as these guys get more game reps.

Blackshear had played so long that he could anticipate and break on balls quickly. He was right the majority of the time and made a lot of plays the last 2 years. He had issues on some deep balls earlier in his career as well. Happens to the best of them at time. Again, the guys are there for the most part on these deep shots. The difference between these clips and ones where a guy is able to turn and play the ball is probably being able to diagnosis where they are supposed to be just that half a second faster. That probably only comes with playing time and reps.

One thing a few former players pointed out to me was that the CBs were losing the edge on a few runs and short passes against CSU. It wasn't every time, but when it did happen CSU was able to get outside and get a few first downs when the play probably should have been funneled back inside to the help for a shorter play. I didn't notice it against Stetson but they didn't try to stress us that way I don't believe. W&M absolutely will do that based on what I've seen. They run Imoh and Mathis around the edges a good bit. Can't let those guys get outside. Both have thrown a TD pass since they've been at W&M as well. Just one more thing you have to keep an eye on during the game. It will be a different but equally good test for the young secondary.
I just think we have to be careful arm chair quarterbacking. It's not about the results, it's about the process.

When another team throws a touchdown pass, we act as if the only thing it could be is our young secondary. It couldn't possibly be the D1 athletes on the other team, their game plan, or in the case of CSU, a couple excellent throws and catches. Sometimes, a team can cover a receiver well AND the other team can make a play. Both things can be true.

It's easy to fall into confirmation bias. If you think our secondary is young and inexperienced, then every positive play by the offense will be seen through that lens. The reality is playing DB in this era is incredibly difficult. Are they in the right spot? Are they doing the right thing? If the other team makes a play, hats off to them.

To the point, here's a video of Montana throwing a touchdown pass on what is essentially a slant route against man coverage. The ball is thrown right between Kam Brinson and Cally Chizik, two DBs with a vast amount of experience and playing time. Brinson "anticipates" the throw and goes the wrong way.

Even on an outstanding veteran defensive unit, sometimes the other team just makes a play.

Jackal, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE - PROCESS NOT RESULTS !!! Except in a national title game :D .. Then I will take any win any way.

But yeah, ask Saban - the best there is - it is all PROCESS. The results will work themselves out. Especially now with 12 team CFP or FCS ! If you are playing right you will make the playoffs in good ol FCS as you can afford a loss or two.