FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:38 am
Affirm wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:11 am
FurmanATT wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:20 pm
#Paladins to give W&M the old college try. -- MD
https://wellpilgrim.com/2024/09/19/pala ... liamsburg/
The OLD college is right. William & Mary is 331 years old. (Furman is only 198 years old).
331 years! Dang, that’s old enough to dang near be called “indigenous.” Ain’t it?
Of course.

History of W&M Mascots and Nicknames
W&M Libraries Special Collections Research Center offers a more complete history of W&M mascots.

The W&M football team was nicknamed "The Orange and White" after the team colors.

The uniform colors changed to the "Orange and Black," because the white became dirty too quickly, according to one report. The team was consequently called "The Orange and Black."

The nickname "Indians" was first referenced in the 1916 edition of the Colonial Echo referring to the basketball team. The teams adopted the nickname and a logo of an Indian with a knife and tomahawk.

The university earned the nickname "Fighting Virginians" from the "Northern Press" as a result of the team's effort in a 24-7 loss to the Syracuse Orangemen.

William & Mary's colors were changed to green, gold and silver. The colors came from W&M’s coat of arms. The change was officially made so that the university and athletic colors would be identical.

The term "Tribe" was first referenced in the 1924 edition of the Colonial Echo. Other nicknames that were given to the university's teams during this time period and the years following it include Big Green, Braves and Warriors.

A 17-inch alligator named "Cal" served as W&M’s mascot.

Late 1930s to 1942
WAMPO, the mascot.
WAMPO, the mascot.
An Indian pony WAMPO was used on the sidelines as a mascot. The pony often carried a rider in full Indian attire. WAMPO’s name was derived from "William And Mary POny."

One sports write dubbed the W&M football team "The Big Green Indians" during its first post-season bowl bid.

The team became known as the "Iron Indians," after the name appeared in a Richmond Times-Dispatch article.

Mid-to-late-1960s to mid-1970s
A caricature similar to that used by the Cleveland Indians was used as a logo.

A "WM" with feathers logo first appeared in a 1974 Football Yearbook and then on the helmets of the 1977 football team.

The Indian images were removed from the athletic logo. The term "Indian" was phased out by the early 1980s. The "WM" with two feathers became the university's official new logo, and the term "Tribe" continued to be used.

A committee to examine school spirit and tradition was convened to discuss whether the Tribe nickname should be phased out.

2001 to 2005
A green costumed character named Colonel Ebirt began serving as an unofficial mascot. The character's name is derived from the word Tribe spelled backwards.

In May, the National Collegiate Athletic Association determined that William & Mary could keep its Tribe nickname but had to do away with its logo because it could be offensive. The university appealed the NCAA decision but received notice in August that the appeal had been denied.

William & Mary announced a new Tribe mascot, the Griffin — a mythical creature with the head of an eagle and the body of a lion.

The iconic costumed griffin that roams arenas, sidelines and athletics events was named "Reveley," in honor of the university's 27th President, W. Taylor Reveley III.
 #90909  by FUATT
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:11 pm
After a thorough thrashing at the hands of the Furman Paladins, the Griffin mascot was permanently buried at the 50 yard line and the school name was permanently changed to Billie & Fairy.

Rumors that the school will henceforth be know as the BFers remain unconfirmed.
FUBeAR liked this
 #90911  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:37 am
What do you think we should have done differently here? How could the Furman DB defended this "far better"?

To your point the guys are there. I’d say we need to ramp up the blitz if coach thinks they can. Don’t give them time to throw the deep ball and they can’t make these plays. That’s the best way to help the young DBs but obviously makes the D more susceptible elsewhere.
 #90913  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:37 pm
I think some of the coverage issues will probably be improved as these guys get more game reps.

Blackshear had played so long that he could anticipate and break on balls quickly. He was right the majority of the time and made a lot of plays the last 2 years. He had issues on some deep balls earlier in his career as well. Happens to the best of them at time. Again, the guys are there for the most part on these deep shots. The difference between these clips and ones where a guy is able to turn and play the ball is probably being able to diagnosis where they are supposed to be just that half a second faster. That probably only comes with playing time and reps.

One thing a few former players pointed out to me was that the CBs were losing the edge on a few runs and short passes against CSU. It wasn't every time, but when it did happen CSU was able to get outside and get a few first downs when the play probably should have been funneled back inside to the help for a shorter play. I didn't notice it against Stetson but they didn't try to stress us that way I don't believe. W&M absolutely will do that based on what I've seen. They run Imoh and Mathis around the edges a good bit. Can't let those guys get outside. Both have thrown a TD pass since they've been at W&M as well. Just one more thing you have to keep an eye on during the game. It will be a different but equally good test for the young secondary.
 #90916  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:16 pm
2 Psyche requirements of a Championship Cornerback - BIG ego, short memory
 #90917  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:56 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:16 pm
2 Psyche requirements of a Championship Cornerback - BIG ego, short memory
Just please don't to the seat belt buckled down motion after a play when you've been burned multiple times in the game. Worse yet, even when a PI flag is thrown. Make the play. Get back to the line and do it again and again and again.
 #90920  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:04 pm
FUATT wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:11 pm
After a thorough thrashing at the hands of the Furman Paladins, the Griffin mascot was permanently buried at the 50 yard line and the school name was permanently changed to Billie & Fairy.

Rumors that the school will henceforth be know as the BFers remain unconfirmed.
Likewise unconfirmed are other rumors, including the one that the mascot's name would be "Captain Niffirg", Niffirg being "Griffin" spelled backwards, reverting to the 2001 to 2005 period when W&M used "Colonel Ebirt" (Ebirt = Tribe spelled backwards) when they dropped the use of "Tribe".
 #90924  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:37 pm
I think some of the coverage issues will probably be improved as these guys get more game reps.

Blackshear had played so long that he could anticipate and break on balls quickly. He was right the majority of the time and made a lot of plays the last 2 years. He had issues on some deep balls earlier in his career as well. Happens to the best of them at time. Again, the guys are there for the most part on these deep shots. The difference between these clips and ones where a guy is able to turn and play the ball is probably being able to diagnosis where they are supposed to be just that half a second faster. That probably only comes with playing time and reps.

One thing a few former players pointed out to me was that the CBs were losing the edge on a few runs and short passes against CSU. It wasn't every time, but when it did happen CSU was able to get outside and get a few first downs when the play probably should have been funneled back inside to the help for a shorter play. I didn't notice it against Stetson but they didn't try to stress us that way I don't believe. W&M absolutely will do that based on what I've seen. They run Imoh and Mathis around the edges a good bit. Can't let those guys get outside. Both have thrown a TD pass since they've been at W&M as well. Just one more thing you have to keep an eye on during the game. It will be a different but equally good test for the young secondary.
FUWolfpacker, right on. Those were the runs I was referencing that seemed (to my old mind) to happen more as the game progressed v CSU. I think CSU ran in for an EASY TD like that. The edge was wide open (as if we were playing a goal line compressed D). I think it was from the 7-10 yard line or so. I would have to watch that game again but I don't want to. LOL. Definitely recall that shifty back getting outside as the game wore on and making 7 yard gains. It was somewhat his shiftiness but the edges were due to superior blocking. lots to improve and learn - I am sure the coaches are working on it.

Yeah, WM presents a real challenge. I was thinking front 7 vs their run but you make a very good point that the CBs have to do their part to or its 8 yards around the edge.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by Sad Din

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:25 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.