• What do we know about our team

#90873  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:15 pm
What if I told you Furman would score on 5 of their first 8 drives, including four touchdowns? Oh, what if I also told you that during those first 8 drives, the other team wouldn't score at all?
Jackal, the problem is not this game. What you state above is great! Though to be fully honest you would need to include our inability to rush vs the worst FCS team (i’ll be liberal - bottom 15 FCS at best). WITHOUT THEIR STUD QB. which definitely could affect score or at least some first downs for them. Surprised that hasn’t been mentioned more. This is a PFL team without their starting QB.

And we rushed for 99 yards on 29 carries vs a PFL team without their starting QB (to at least eat clock and get a few more first downs for them) through roughly three quarters. . Then Gavin Hall etc added 72 more or so. Which is great! Hope he’s a stud !! But 29 carries for 99 yards through about 3 Quarters vs PFL is hard for me to swallow as a Furman fan bred on RUN RUN RUN ( play tough !) and then hit the play action. I would have thought we could get a total of 250 rushing minimum vs a Stetson. Even with pass to set up the run I think we need more rushing ability at some time to help Hedden. A QBs best friend is the good run game. As we hit the meat of our SoCon we could really use 150 -200 a game on the ground to deflect pressure from Hedden

Anyway, What’s disturbing To me - and others who send PMs but also a few have posted publicly on occasion - is you tend to “have your cake and eat it too”. Please listen. I’m not trying to anger you. But I distinctly recall you posting about how close we were in late Q3 or something to App State when people were so mad that App completed 26 or 28 or however many consecutive passes or whatever ridiculous.. but BEAT US. And many posts like this. IE you were saying we were doing well despite losing in the end. Ok. I get that take. Especially vs an FBS. But then in other posts - should it help us look better - you flip and state only the final score matters. When we don’t play well but win. Well then the App State and similar posts lose credibility. Because if only final score matters then how we played doesn’t matter.

Anyway. I generally REALLY like your posts. And we agree more than you may think. I posted some the other day where just the DAY BEFORE or so I literally had agreed with you. You know more than me - Love the analysis. I’m just very literal and hard to take some of the above.

No worries. Whatever. GoFurman. These next 2 or 3 games will be very telling. Regardless even then just keep improving. Beat rivals. Please beat Citadel and or Wofford. Winning season would be great as young as we are
Last edited by gofurman on Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #90874  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:08 am
The W&M game may give us a bit of insight on what we may see with the freshmen going forward.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Hedden is now the guy. I suspect the same for Hester, who was already appeared in three games. I was surprised Saturday to see Furman using Hester and Hinton in the same offensive sets together, as I had assumed we might see one or the other in that flanker spot. We may not see him a bunch, but Hester may add some flash to the offense and give defenses two slippery speedsters to worry about out there. Hester may be a guy this season like Hinton was last year - a freshman you just have to play. Like Hinton, it's impressive when a freshman breaks in with our receiver depth.

Gavin Hall has played in two games. He's technically second on the team in rushing, though most of that came against Stetson behind the second unit offensive line. He did not play against Charleston Southern. With some of our struggles in the run game to this point, we might see #33 against William & Mary in a more prominent role to see how he holds up against a more robust FCS defense.

Defensively, Ty Kaserud has already appeared in two games at DT.

Riley Smith apparently has already been in all three games as a long snapper. I guess he's the guy there.

Darren Coleman, Javaris Jones, Demetrius Baldwin, Bruce Knauber, got in the game against Stetson. That indicates to me getting some reps in mop up duty and maybe not guys we feel are ready for a bigger workload, but are there if we need them.
Jackal. THANKS. Seriously. I get caught up watching the game and miss some sub patterns. . Yeah I’m guessing those latter guys are gonna get a redshirt.

Not sure with Hall or Kaserud having played two games if they will redshirt?
 #90883  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
What if I told you Furman would score on 5 of their first 8 drives, including four touchdowns? Oh, what if I also told you that during those first 8 drives, the other team wouldn't score at all?
Jackal, the problem is not this game. What you state above is great! Though to be fully honest you would need to include our inability to rush vs the worst FCS team (i’ll be liberal - bottom 15 FCS at best). WITHOUT THEIR STUD QB. which definitely could affect score or at least some first downs for them. Surprised that hasn’t been mentioned more. This is a PFL team without their starting QB.

And we rushed for 99 yards on 29 carries vs a PFL team without their starting QB (to at least eat clock and get a few more first downs for them) through roughly three quarters. . Then Gavin Hall etc added 72 more or so. Which is great! Hope he’s a stud !! But 29 carries for 99 yards through about 3 Quarters vs PFL is hard for me to swallow as a Furman fan bred on RUN RUN RUN ( play tough !) and then hit the play action. I would have thought we could get a total of 250 rushing minimum vs a Stetson. Even with pass to set up the run I think we need more rushing ability at some time to help Hedden. A QBs best friend is the good run game. As we hit the meat of our SoCon we could really use 150 -200 a game on the ground to deflect pressure from Hedden

Anyway, What’s disturbing To me - and others who send PMs but also a few have posted publicly on occasion - is you tend to “have your cake and eat it too”. Please listen. I’m not trying to anger you. But I distinctly recall you posting about how close we were in late Q3 or something to App State when people were so mad that App completed 26 or 28 or however many consecutive passes or whatever ridiculous.. but BEAT US. And many posts like this. IE you were saying we were doing well despite losing in the end. Ok. I get that take. Especially vs an FBS. But then in other posts - should it help us look better - you flip and state only the final score matters. When we don’t play well but win. Well then the App State and similar posts lose credibility. Because if only final score matters then how we played doesn’t matter.

Anyway. I generally REALLY like your posts. And we agree more than you may think. I posted some the other day where just the DAY BEFORE or so I literally had agreed with you. You know more than me - Love the analysis. I’m just very literal and hard to take some of the above.

No worries. Whatever. GoFurman. These next 2 or 3 games will be very telling. Regardless even then just keep improving. Beat rivals. Please beat Citadel and or Wofford. Winning season would be great as young as we are

Nothing you could possibly say would remotely anger me.
 #90885  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:13 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Nothing you could possibly say would remotely anger me.
good . the only thing that angered me a little recently was where you posted "we don't agree" - and then I showed posts where I LITERALLY state "WE AGREE" . That's just weird. Literally that's what I stated. Some were even from the very prior day. It's probably a take that I am very literal, and others are more "macro"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, will be an interesting game this week and, if we really are rebuilding see what we can do.

Here's my overall - our BEST UNIT so far - our D front 7. ... I think they (best unit - our Front 7) will be really tested this week. I watched some of WM and Woff - William and Mary is gonna take that NFL OL and other all-CAA guys and run right at us (strong RB too) - three seniors and two Sophomores on OL... And then throw with some quick hitters too so you can't really get to the QB. This is a key - QB is both a good runner -takes losses and gets 2 yards instead - and a very good quick decision maker as you would expect from a senior ... really makes you pay on blitzes etc. That was key to Woff loss. QB hit medium passes when Woff blitzed.

His quick decisions burnt Wofford some as they brought a blitz a good bit and he would hit a guy who sat down in the zone for an 8 yard pick up. To whit - WM was ELEVEN FOR SIXTEEN on 3rd down !! That will win a LOT of ball games. Wofford couldn't figure how to stop the third and 7s so far. I am admittedly in the second quarter and will finish the game tonight or tomorrow.

But so far the QB looks to make correct decisions - not go deep and take the efficient and right play. That's a Senior for you. 18/27 for 180 yards passing or so. 50 runs. 27 passes. Good ol' Furman mixture. enough that you can't completely stack the box. I do hope we can get a little more running success as the year progresses.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUpaladin08

Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:09 pm

User avatar starting lineup projection

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:38 pm

Default Avatar Furman's First Opponent of 2024 Football Season

by gman84

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:55 pm

User avatar TALENT FEE

by Davemeister

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:25 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by FurmanFan23

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:18 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.