• Next opponent. Bill and Mary

#90860  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:29 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:54 pm
I remember much being made about the secondary two years ago. Many teams threw deep on that group based on big passing numbers and Furman still managed to win games. That UIW playoff games was supposed to be a beat down due to the Furman secondary going up against the Walter Payton award winner.

Anyways, I think we’re in store for more of that this season. Even the teams that want to run the ball will take deep shots on 50/50 balls until Furman stops them and/or stops the PI penalties. W&M will air it out this wkd if they have the time to throw.
Death, taxes, and folks on this forum complaining about pass defense.
 #90862  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:29 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:54 pm
I remember much being made about the secondary two years ago. Many teams threw deep on that group based on big passing numbers and Furman still managed to win games. That UIW playoff games was supposed to be a beat down due to the Furman secondary going up against the Walter Payton award winner.

Anyways, I think we’re in store for more of that this season. Even the teams that want to run the ball will take deep shots on 50/50 balls until Furman stops them and/or stops the PI penalties. W&M will air it out this wkd if they have the time to throw.
Death, taxes, and folks on this forum complaining about pass defense.
Yeah , but you only die ONCE> taxes and our pass defense are EVERY YEAR. L O L ;)
 #90863  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:04 pm
The only particularly interesting thing I've seen on special teams is that Ian Williams is sending kickoffs into orbit and it almost looks like we are using two punt returns at the same time.

The TV feed doesn't really show how we are lining up, but both Hinton and Harris appear to be back receiving punts.
You didn't see the snaps skimming the ground before it got to the holder on the XPs? (CSU game) ? I was on that end of the field so it was easier to see but yeah, they looked pretty short. GREAT JOB by the holder

That may be the first thing I have ever seen that Jackal didn't ... wonders never cease. I am almost sure Grant Robinson was back on a KO or two with someone else - that surprised me as usually you go a little smaller and pure speed.
 #90867  by FUATT
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:23 pm
The thing about the pass D, its really mostly the jump balls and our guys are in position, they are just not making the plays.

And we need to turn heads on deep balls or will get more flags, and I am certain we are trying to coach that and the jump ball stuff.
 #90869  by cavedweller2
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:15 pm
Only the greatly skilled can chase a slightly faster maybe receiver downfield and have the presence of mind to turn his head at the instant the ball arrives.
 #90871  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:18 pm
FUATT wrote:
The thing about the pass D, its really mostly the jump balls and our guys are in position, they are just not making the plays.

And we need to turn heads on deep balls or will get more flags, and I am certain we are trying to coach that and the jump ball stuff.
The thing about 50/50 balls is they will eventually break our way too.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #90877  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:15 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:15 pm
Only the greatly skilled can chase a slightly faster maybe receiver downfield and have the presence of mind to turn his head at the instant the ball arrives.
Cave, no doubt ! You are right. It’s one of the hardest things in football. Regardless I bet we have the most or close (number) and most egregious defensive PIs in the SoCon so far … so it’s both doable and - this is key - other teams are doing it better.

Not only that we ourselves were FAR better at defending it last year - FAR BETTER. it’s on the coaches to be ready to replace players that are leaving via recruiting and coaching. And oddly, I am almost positive one guy that’s getting picked on back there is not even a youngster. I THINK. I may be wrong but was trying to check numbers
 #90886  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:19 am
FUATT wrote:

FUATT, You are absolutely right. I probably didn't articulate this well. Our DBs are THERE. They just aren't turning their heads or playing the ball
 #90887  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:42 am
Or this one.

What coaching points do you have?

that's an EASY one. The DB was caught looking at the QB. there were 2 or 3 yards between him and the WR. He should have been closer and definitely timed his jump better. You act like this is not doable. Do you think they complete that pass other teams? I dont. Oh wait, I HAVE BIG DANG PROOF. Exhibit A, B and C - CSU can't do that vs any other FCS so far. ONLY FURMAN. ONLY FURMAN ALLOWED THAT. Let's examine FCS - RICHMOND HELD THEM TO ZERO points ? ZERO !!! they figured it out. Don't act like CSU is some juggernaut. Not even close. Citadel gave up ONE pass TD - admit I don't recall that one play exactly .. I watched the replay two weeks ago or so but don't recall the play.

Admit it - they PICKED on our DBs. And they should. I would. until we show we are an average Defensive backfield that's where you go. Here - Citadel and Richmond COMBINED to allow ONE PASS TD. ONE. I don't need any more than that. CSU saw what we see and went right at it.

So I ask you, why do our DBs give up TWO TDs - one in a critical juncture right before half time where you should be on high alert !!! - and two other mediocre FCS teams (cmon , Citadel?) allow ONLY ONE TD TOTAL? TOTAL

Other teams have figured it out. I am not saying it is easy. But its not about "is it easy?" It's about "if other teams are doing it - stopping the deep ball in this case - Why aren't we ??" that's the question.

THE QUESTION IS NOT "what coaching points do you have?" That is personal and rude. The question is "how are other teams allowing CSU ONE PASSING TD ON THE SEASON and we all TWO !?? It's not about ME. It's about our team and coaches vs other teams and coaches.
 #90898  by Davemeister
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:57 am
BillyBoy & MaryLou better look out.

Furman's Pass Defense is an Iron Dome. And our Front Seven? A Steel Curtain.
 #90904  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:38 am
Affirm wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:11 am
FurmanATT wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:20 pm
#Paladins to give W&M the old college try. -- MD
https://wellpilgrim.com/2024/09/19/pala ... liamsburg/
The OLD college is right. William & Mary is 331 years old. (Furman is only 198 years old).
331 years! Dang, that’s old enough to dang near be called “indigenous.” Ain’t it?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FurmanFan23

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:36 pm

Default Avatar Furman's First Opponent of 2024 Football Season

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:56 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:38 am

User avatar TALENT FEE

by Davemeister

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:25 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by FurmanFan23

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:18 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.