• What do we know about our team

#90706  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:36 pm
FUATT wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:16 am
I think gofurman summary is good but Paul C is right, if we don't go -4 at CHS SO that is a VERY different ballgame. Remember, the second half drives ended TD/INT/FUM/FG/FUM/Downs. They really did not stop us in the 2nd half, we stopped ourselves three times, and scored on the other drives. And if we don't get that phantom holding call that preceded the fumble... I honestly think we win that game 27-21 or more. Still not world beating but I think we are looking at things very differently.

The summary of the state of the OL and the back 4 is fair. I think those guys and the coaches are going to work on it, but it is not really a scheme thing it is really a "we got who we got" situation. We were decimated by injury, graduation and transfer in the back 4 in ways that were really, collectively, not entirely foreseeable, and we lost four really great OL in Johanning, Toomey, Hughes. What is less obvious is a lot of the guys show stepped up not only did not have tons of snaps but has missed significant time to injury which hampered their overall development.

I'll say something in fairness too. This team is I think struggling a bit to find collectively strong leadership in the locker room. We have a FR QB who they guys like and respect but is earning the role of leader. We are better off on defense, but I will be honest, we miss 97s presence. He was a strong leader on this team and his presence is a real loss.

Going forward, I think we are going to see something unusual at FU which is we are going to be a "throw to open up the run" team because the strength of this offense is the experience and depth at WR and the potential at QB. If we can do somethings in the counter and screen and draw game to get Myion the ball that is going to be effective. I am personally excited about the 8 car and the potential we have with him in there. I think the run game can open up more as the OL improves and we play off the increasing need for DCs to pressure 8 (screens and draws). I expect we see more misdirection in the run game too.

In the back on D we are going to find the best guys. Lewis is young but seems to have a nose for the ball and gives us a little more size back there. And we are going to have to get to the QB so those longer, jump ball routes don't have as much time to develop, but if you are rushing 4 and they max protect to throw that route... gonna be hard. Just going to have to win more 1v1s back there.

W&M on road will tell us a lot. I really wish I could go to this one as it drivable for me, but FUATTs daughter is going on an official recruiting visit and that is that. I'll be checking in as often as I can.

GO DINS.
Agree -4 turnover. Sure. Absolutely. No srgument.

But what no one is mentioning is CSU tried to GIVE THE GAME TO US. They literally tried. By all the personal fouls. We were saved on several third downs by there roughing fouls. My group said at one point “the only way we get a first down here is if they rough us up … and they did!,, Then we fumbled on the next play. Lol.

Why is no one mentioning the flip side that CSU helped us immensely with their freakishly undisciplined play. We literally got 4 free first downs in a game where we had zero offense because of their horrendous lack of disciple !!!!! Why is no one talking about that ???. This shows immense bias on our part not to mention that. Vs a more disciplined team we woulda been smoked.

Kinda like we have to admit we were dang undisciplined vs Stetson on one particular drive (2 roughing the passers I think?) that just kept them moving down the field. Same thing.

look I really don’t care about CSU. let’s see what we can do on OL and DB this week and next.
 #90707  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:42 pm
FUATT wrote:
I think gofurman summary is good but Paul C is right, if we don't go -4 at CHS SO that is a VERY different ballgame. Remember, the second half drives ended TD/INT/FUM/FG/FUM/Downs. They really did not stop us in the 2nd half, we stopped ourselves three times, and scored on the other drives. And if we don't get that phantom holding call that preceded the fumble... I honestly think we win that game 27-21 or more. Still not world beating but I think we are looking at things very differently.

The summary of the state of the OL and the back 4 is fair. I think those guys and the coaches are going to work on it, but it is not really a scheme thing it is really a "we got who we got" situation. We were decimated by injury, graduation and transfer in the back 4 in ways that were really, collectively, not entirely foreseeable, and we lost four really great OL in Johanning, Toomey, Hughes. What is less obvious is a lot of the guys show stepped up not only did not have tons of snaps but has missed significant time to injury which hampered their overall development.

I'll say something in fairness too. This team is I think struggling a bit to find collectively strong leadership in the locker room. We have a FR QB who they guys like and respect but is earning the role of leader. We are better off on defense, but I will be honest, we miss 97s presence. He was a strong leader on this team and his presence is a real loss.

Going forward, I think we are going to see something unusual at FU which is we are going to be a "throw to open up the run" team because the strength of this offense is the experience and depth at WR and the potential at QB. If we can do somethings in the counter and screen and draw game to get Myion the ball that is going to be effective. I am personally excited about the 8 car and the potential we have with him in there. I think the run game can open up more as the OL improves and we play off the increasing need for DCs to pressure 8 (screens and draws). I expect we see more misdirection in the run game too.

In the back on D we are going to find the best guys. Lewis is young but seems to have a nose for the ball and gives us a little more size back there. And we are going to have to get to the QB so those longer, jump ball routes don't have as much time to develop, but if you are rushing 4 and they max protect to throw that route... gonna be hard. Just going to have to win more 1v1s back there.

W&M on road will tell us a lot. I really wish I could go to this one as it drivable for me, but FUATTs daughter is going on an official recruiting visit and that is that. I'll be checking in as often as I can.

GO DINS.
FUATT, No no no. . We’ve been told time and again that we’ve got 8 ALL AMERICAN RECRUITS at OL and DB or at minimum they are super freak recruits…. Graduation and transfer don’t matter when we recruit so many freaks. Oh wait, MAYBE IT DOES MATTER !!!

Yes we could have won v CSU. sure. It was possible. But hey, turnovers count. And when you run with a true FR that’s a chance you take. but as you say we wouldn’t be world beaters if we beat CSU - a better outlook yes, I agree…. Great team? NO

One thing I will repeat. We did indeed stop ourselves in second half. Absolutely. Third and long. Didn’t get it. But CSU bailed us with some personal foul. They gave us a first down. Granted, we fumbled on the next play LOL
 #90730  by tim
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:56 am
I say spread it and sling it and quit trying to run so much....for this year anyway. As FUATT says let the pass set up the run. Wait until the conference schedule though
 #90741  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUATT wrote:

GO DINS.
FUATT, No no no. . We’ve been told time and again that we’ve got 8 ALL AMERICAN RECRUITS at OL and DB or at minimum they are super freak recruits…. Graduation and transfer don’t matter when we recruit so many freaks. Oh wait, MAYBE IT DOES MATTER !!!

Yes we could have won v CSU. sure. It was possible. But hey, turnovers count. And when you run with a true FR that’s a chance you take. but as you say we wouldn’t be world beaters if we beat CSU - a better outlook yes, I agree…. Great team? NO

One thing I will repeat. We did indeed stop ourselves in second half. Absolutely. Third and long. Didn’t get it. But CSU bailed us with some personal foul. They gave us a first down. Granted, we fumbled on the next play LOL

I do not believe anyone has said that we have 8 all American recruits. I do not believe anyone has remotely suggested that.
 #90762  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUATT wrote:

GO DINS.

I do not believe anyone has said that we have 8 all American recruits. I do not believe anyone has remotely suggested that.
Jackal, you know my point. We were told our recruiting was getting better and better and was literally top 5 or top 10 the past few years or something. Now that I know I read. And I hope it is true - hope it's just a growing pain right now

I think someone said one year we were ranked the top FCS class, but we will conservatively say top 5. I will say though some arrive as Freaks - Felton, the safety who played for the 49ers, Ingle!... most FCS guys its a different type of rating and DEVELOPING than FBS stars. though FCS too has faster and stronger players that cause problems - Harris and Hinton for example.

I will say that NDSU always talks about DEVELOPING but cmon - Trey Lance and Carson Wentz have serious talent (regardless of how long they stick in the NFL). NDSU didn't "create" Carson Wentz talent. He was born with more talent than 99% of FCS QBs. Same with Tony Romo etc. the interesting thing going forward is will FCS be able to KEEP these guys?? I bet NIL evens the FCS playing field. Carson Wentz or whomever will get money to go to Wisconsin as a junior or Senior now?

Anyway, let's watch our team grow and learn and all pull for the Paladins!
 #90787  by AstroDin
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:08 am
I rewatched the Furman/Stetson game. I'll admit I skipped most of the first quarter.
Armed with my roster from the game and looking at the player participation chart, I started exploring what hit me while watching the fourth quarter. How many players from the freshmen/redshirt freshmen/sophomore class played?

At the game, it hit me that Furman was playing an entire defensive front of freshmen.
Two-Deep Offense
5 True Freshmen
3 Redshirt Freshmen
6 SO/RSSO
Two-Deep Defense
1 True Freshman
6 Redshirt Freshmen
6 SO/RSSO
These three classes account for over 61% of the two-deep roster.

The Player participation list (non-starters) shows that 42 players participated.
By my count, 33 players are freshmen/redshirt freshmen/sophomores.
Also, by my count, seven true freshmen played.
 #90789  by Sad Din
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:41 am
IMHO. both the Frosh and Red shirt Frosh has some outstanding offensive players. If this group sticks around and more like em come, skys he limit. Defense aint too shabby also
 #90792  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:52 am
AstroDin wrote:
I rewatched the Furman/Stetson game. I'll admit I skipped most of the first quarter.
Armed with my roster from the game and looking at the player participation chart, I started exploring what hit me while watching the fourth quarter. How many players from the freshmen/redshirt freshmen/sophomore class played?

At the game, it hit me that Furman was playing an entire defensive front of freshmen.
Two-Deep Offense
5 True Freshmen
3 Redshirt Freshmen
6 SO/RSSO
Two-Deep Defense
1 True Freshman
6 Redshirt Freshmen
6 SO/RSSO

The Player participation list (non-starters) shows that 42 players participated.
One noticeable thing on the defensive side of the ball, for me, is that all of our front seven rotation players look physically ready to be in the game.

We had third string guys out there Saturday that looked like D1 football players, not guys that we hope might one day look like D1 football players.
 #90793  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:06 am
AstroDin wrote:

Two-Deep Offense
5 True Freshmen
3 Redshirt Freshmen
6 SO/RSSO
Two-Deep Defense
1 True Freshman
6 Redshirt Freshmen
6 SO/RSSO

Some good observations above.

I went back and watched the end of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th. It was clarified by CCH yesterday that we don't have a 3 deep OL.

Watching the tape I saw 61 at C and 77 at RT and 69 at LG as the first subs to move in. 72, 51 and 65 were the first subs out. During this time frame 33 became the leading rusher and out-gained the 3 Din RBs with the 1 OL by a 72-69 margin in rushing yards.

It starts with the C making the right call, the QB making the right read and OL executing. On each of the lengthy inside runs for 33, 61 climbed to the second level to chip on the LB. As noted on another thread about W&M, their DL does a good job of occupying the OL so their 4 LBs can make a lot of plays. Making the rights calls at C this week will be critical to "setting the table" to execute a quality play. I like what I saw with the twitch from 33. I'm hoping we continue to see him get some carries. Looking to see the Dins take 2 steps forward this week.

What we learned about out team: some versatility at OL which is consistent with the Cutch approach.
 #90802  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:37 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:06 am
AstroDin wrote:

Two-Deep Offense
5 True Freshmen
3 Redshirt Freshmen
6 SO/RSSO
Two-Deep Defense
1 True Freshman
6 Redshirt Freshmen
6 SO/RSSO

Some good observations above.

I went back and watched the end of the 3rd quarter and all of the 4th. It was clarified by CCH yesterday that we don't have a 3 deep OL.

Watching the tape I saw 61 at C and 77 at RT and 69 at LG as the first subs to move in. 72, 51 and 65 were the first subs out. During this time frame 33 became the leading rusher and out-gained the 3 Din RBs with the 1 OL by a 72-69 margin in rushing yards.

It starts with the C making the right call, the QB making the right read and OL executing. On each of the lengthy inside runs for 33, 61 climbed to the second level to chip on the LB. As noted on another thread about W&M, their DL does a good job of occupying the OL so their 4 LBs can make a lot of plays. Making the rights calls at C this week will be critical to "setting the table" to execute a quality play. I like what I saw with the twitch from 33. I'm hoping we continue to see him get some carries. Looking to see the Dins take 2 steps forward this week.

What we learned about out team: some versatility at OL which is consistent with the Cutch approach.
Hope we win but this will be super tough. My biggest fear vs WM is their stud OL vs our D front (a strength of ours) but which wore out - I think it did - vs CSU later in the game somewhat. It at least seemed the CSU back started getting more and more yards in the second half. At least to my old memory. *Feel free to correct me if wrong!!

WM is determined to run the ball - again, 50 runs out of 77 plays v Wofford. They also have a LOT more seniority and are at home. All that said, if we can at least improve that would be good !
FUATT liked this
 #90804  by Davemeister
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:41 am
AstroDin wrote:

After scoring on our first possession, the O went to sleep until late in the 2nd Quarter. Can't afford that this weekend.

Still, those two TD passes from Hedden looked like something you would see on Sunday afternoons. We've got a lot to look forward to.
dornb liked this
 #90806  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:08 am
The W&M game may give us a bit of insight on what we may see with the freshmen going forward.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Hedden is now the guy. I suspect the same for Hester, who was already appeared in three games. I was surprised Saturday to see Furman using Hester and Hinton in the same offensive sets together, as I had assumed we might see one or the other in that flanker spot. We may not see him a bunch, but Hester may add some flash to the offense and give defenses two slippery speedsters to worry about out there. Hester may be a guy this season like Hinton was last year - a freshman you just have to play. Like Hinton, it's impressive when a freshman breaks in with our receiver depth.

Gavin Hall has played in two games. He's technically second on the team in rushing, though most of that came against Stetson behind the second unit offensive line. He did not play against Charleston Southern. With some of our struggles in the run game to this point, we might see #33 against William & Mary in a more prominent role to see how he holds up against a more robust FCS defense.

Defensively, Ty Kaserud has already appeared in two games at DT.

Riley Smith apparently has already been in all three games as a long snapper. I guess he's the guy there.

Darren Coleman, Javaris Jones, Demetrius Baldwin, Bruce Knauber, got in the game against Stetson. That indicates to me getting some reps in mop up duty and maybe not guys we feel are ready for a bigger workload, but are there if we need them.
 #90811  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:40 pm
After 3 games my thoughts are pretty much as they were at the start of the season. We got killed at Ole Miss as expected but worse than expected. CSU was worse than I expected and losing to them was really a bummer, bad sign. CSU probably loses to everyone else in the SoCon. Struggling for the first 26 minutes against Stetson was again disappointing. We had 82 yds rushing for the first 3 quarters against SU. We won’t see anyone close to the talent level of Ole Miss or SU again this year. The W&M game should tell us a little more. Right now I think middle of the pack in the SoCon is best case scenario. I don’t think we will have to worry about rankings and playoffs this year. Hopefully I have to eat my words. Just try to get better every week and hopefully by the end of the year maybe we can at least play spoiler.
 #90861  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:55 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:41 am
AstroDin wrote:

After scoring on our first possession, the O went to sleep until late in the 2nd Quarter. Can't afford that this weekend.

Still, those two TD passes from Hedden looked like something you would see on Sunday afternoons. We've got a lot to look forward to.
Dave, i had the same thought when I read Astro's post. Astro is great and a HUGE source of information. Not sure why he skipped the first quarter? That was just as telling as any other quarter... It was a great GAME but that quarter we had one great pick and drive by the O and then NOTHING. NADA

As Jackal says - it's a 60 minute game. I get the meaning. He is saying it's not just a one half game. Give it the full length. Wait until the End.. But to me that means the first 15 count too. Play like that first quarter vs Bill and Mary and it's over before it starts. We will be down in a hole we probably can't climb out of. EVERY PLAY, EVERY INCH COUNTS. All 4 quarters.

I think we all know this game will be very telling. I think that WM would be mid or top-tier SoCon -ish... If we beat them my outlook changes. I will admit if we even stay relatively close (within 10?) I will be feeling a lot better (and I hate to concede but that would be at least something). Have to see the numbers and the eyeball test.

DO WE IMPROVE? Of course it's hard to tell sometimes when the comp changes so radically. Of course we looked better v Stetson. They were our easiest opponent. This will be our toughest FCS opponent (to date anyway). Honestly, we could truly improve and look worse on the LOS etc this game.
 #90870  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:15 pm
What if I told you Furman would score on 5 of their first 8 drives, including four touchdowns? Oh, what if I also told you that during those first 8 drives, the other team wouldn't score at all?
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar TALENT FEE

by Davemeister

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:25 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by FurmanFan23

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar starting lineup projection

by Davemeister

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:15 am

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by Affirm

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:11 am

Default Avatar Furman's First Opponent of 2024 Football Season

by Affirm

Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.