• Furman v Stetson

#90694  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:21 pm
I wouldn’t bring it up if I thought in mattered MUCH in Bill & Marry prep…

Did you notice 8 had ice on his throwing hand and forearm before 5 came in? At 8:48 in the third it looks like a bad Mike call and missed the linebacker coming up the middle. The next 3 throws are off target and 8 is working his hand a little. The 4th pass is caught, but not crisp. You could see him holding that hand a little different. Also, in the post game presser, ice was off, but you could tell it was favored. I’m sure he’s ok, but it’s critical that the right reads are made by the OL to keep our QBs healthy. We know what happened when Huff got that blindside at Chatt. Should have been hosting Montana.
 #90695  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:45 pm
0 at WR was also a spark with 19 and 33. We took a step forward. Let’s take 2 this week.
 #90709  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:10 am
gman84 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:15 pm
Hope we learned and improved. Our passing game and RPO looked nice. Running game was sketchy through 3 quarters.

Just used to old Furman strong OL and run. This is odd to me
One of our Achilles heals the last several seasons has been our inability to connect on the long ball. We showed today how that can open up an offense. Teams have sold out to stop our run because we could not beat teams deep. I’m not saying that our offense is fixed. We have a lot of work to do, but we can see what is possible. I know that GF is always looking at the two deep, we only have 2 seniors on offense and 4 on defense that are listed as starters. We are young but the future is bright!
Gman, first. I DID NOT mean to dislike your post. Sorry about that. It was just a simple Fat finger

Agree. Youth today leads to a better team tomorrow. Good example. Last year was our oldest and best team in years. It was. Oldest. BEST. Huff was better in year two with Roper than year one. Etc. Etc. What’s odd is almost everyone says this youth will lead to better things - I agree. But some of the same people denied that getting younger this year vs last year would hurt us. It has. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. If getting older and stronger is better then getting younger (OL and DB and QB) isn’t going to be good in General

Anyway. Hope we keep improving - One interesting thing s that younger teams generally improve More than older teams. Older teams start as an 8 of 10 and become a 9 by years end. Younger teams start as a 5 of ten and become a 7.5 by years end. More growth by the younger team
 #90710  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:15 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:21 pm
I wouldn’t bring it up if I thought in mattered MUCH in Bill & Marry prep…

Did you notice 8 had ice on his throwing hand and forearm before 5 came in? At 8:48 in the third it looks like a bad Mike call and missed the linebacker coming up the middle. The next 3 throws are off target and 8 is working his hand a little. The 4th pass is caught, but not crisp. You could see him holding that hand a little different. Also, in the post game presser, ice was off, but you could tell it was favored. I’m sure he’s ok, but it’s critical that the right reads are made by the OL to keep our QBs healthy. We know what happened when Huff got that blindside at Chatt. Should have been hosting Montana.
Dang it. Hope he’s 100%. If it’s 70% you leave him out to get better for the conference games !
 #90720  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:39 am
Bootie wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:57 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:31 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:06 pm
I was just now able to tune into the game. From the posts, I figured we were losing or the game was close. We are up only 31-0 early in the 3rd. Why the negativity?
1. People want to complain.

2. Many think that football is a two quarter game and there is some unwritten win/loss recorded based on how fans feel before half time. They often overlook that the game is four quarters and the body blows delivered in the first half turn into haymakers in the second half.

Because 85 scholarship Ole Miss should be a closer game to 63 scholarship Furman. ITS MATH.

Than 60 scholarship Furman to ZERO SCHOLARSHIP Stetson. This team has NO SCHOLARSHIPS. .

20 scholarship difference led to 77-0. SIXTY SCHOLARSHIP DIFFERENCE is going to be less than that. .

MAIN THING is - as commented by our own OL Cole Neely - our OL looked like shiite in late first half. Kept getting beat by non scholarship players. And NUMEROUS PENALTIES - Neely commented on this too. Several Pass Interferences on SAME GUY. Even Tex said we went back to our “lawn chair” OL for a quarter or two. LOL
It’s 48-7.
Bootie, good to hear from you!!. I admit that ended better than I thought. We definitely gained some momentum and saw some nice passes !! Just make sure to post the score the next few weeks. And I seriously hope we win. Be nice to either get a CAA or a 1-0 start in SoCon. Samford looks weak.

STETSON is now ranked the WORST (literally THE WORST) football program in all of D1 - 263 out of 263.
 #90721  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:40 am
Affirm wrote:
1. Thankful that Furman won.
2. Stetson is the next-to-last team in Sagarin ratings of ALL D-1 teams. Will they drop 1 spot?
3. Will Furman drop a spot dues to not getting it to at least 49-0?
LOL. exactly
 #90723  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:11 am
gofurman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:
I was just now able to tune into the game. From the posts, I figured we were losing or the game was close. We are up only 31-0 early in the 3rd. Why the negativity?

2. Many think that football is a two quarter game and there is some unwritten win/loss recorded based on how fans feel before half time. They often overlook that the game is four quarters and the body blows delivered in the first half turn into haymakers in the second half.

Because 85 scholarship Ole Miss should be a closer game to 63 scholarship Furman. ITS MATH.

Than 60 scholarship Furman to ZERO SCHOLARSHIP Stetson. This team has NO SCHOLARSHIPS. .

20 scholarship difference led to 77-0. SIXTY SCHOLARSHIP DIFFERENCE is going to be less than that. .

MAIN THING is - as commented by our own OL Cole Neely - our OL looked like shiite in late first half. Kept getting beat by non scholarship players. And NUMEROUS PENALTIES - Neely commented on this too. Several Pass Interferences on SAME GUY. Even Tex said we went back to our “lawn chair” OL for a quarter or two. LOL
It’s 48-7.
Bootie, good to hear from you!!. I admit that ended better than I thought. We definitely gained some momentum and saw some nice passes !! Just make sure to post the score the next few weeks. And I seriously hope we win. Be nice to either get a CAA or a 1-0 start in SoCon. Samford looks weak.

STETSON is now ranked the WORST (literally THE WORST) football program in all of D1 - 263 out of 263.

I don't know how Stetson will end up. They had a couple of pretty good defensive players. I'm not sure what computer models can glean from them playing two NAIA teams and Furman.

Furman won 48-7, played the backups much of the second half and, I believe, took a knee on the opponents 10 yard line. If Lane Kiffin ran our program we would have put up 60+
 #90724  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:16 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:11 am
gofurman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:

It’s 48-7.

I don't know how Stetson will end up. They had a couple of pretty good defensive players. I'm not sure what computer models can glean from them playing two NAIA teams and Furman.

Furman won 48-7, played the backups much of the second half and, I believe, took a knee on the opponents 10 yard line. If Lane Kiffin ran our program we would have put up 60+
Jackal, I 100% AGREE with you. Lane Kiffin is an AZZ. You could tell CCH was Pissed in the Presser there. Said things like "I have been on the other side of that and there are 2 ways to handle it"
 #90737  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:16 pm
Roundball wrote:
Well it’s easy to jump on people who were actually at the game and watching rather than just seeing a score. We had a short field for a 50 yd. drive and a td on the first possession. The next 4 possessions resulted in 2 first downs, less than 50 yds of offense and a 3 yd drive for a long fg. The first 5 possessions and 26 minutes resulted in 10 points, less than 100 yds of offense against supposedly one of the worst teams in the country. The negativity was definitely warranted at the time.
Last edited by apaladin on Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davemeister liked this
 #90738  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Well it’s easy to jump on people who were actually at the game and watching rather than just seeing a score. We had a short field for a 50 yd. drive and a td on the first possession. The next 4 possessions resulted in 2 first downs, less than 50 yds of offense and a 3 yd drive for a long fg. The first 5 possessions and 26 minurpes resulted in 10 points, less than 100 yds of offense against supposedly one of the worst teams in the country. The negativity was definitely warranted at the time.
Accurate observations.

I don't think more of the same at the OL is going to result in the leaps forward we need. I think a little shuffling around is needed. However, QB runs and dink/dunk passes mixed in with some EPs will take some pressure off the OL.
 #90748  by Bootie
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:55 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Well it’s easy to jump on people who were actually at the game and watching rather than just seeing a score. We had a short field for a 50 yd. drive and a td on the first possession. The next 4 possessions resulted in 2 first downs, less than 50 yds of offense and a 3 yd drive for a long fg. The first 5 possessions and 26 minutes resulted in 10 points, less than 100 yds of offense against supposedly one of the worst teams in the country. The negativity was definitely warranted at the time.
Add the madness from watching two 3rd down plays get flagged for roughing the passer.... I've never seen a replay but from my view I thought those calls were questionable at best. What did others see?
 #90750  by gman84
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:42 pm
They were BS calls in my opinion. The play that 12 got woozy from I thought they would flag but they did not.
 #90751  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:45 pm
Bootie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:55 pm
Add the madness from watching two 3rd down plays get flagged for roughing the passer.... I've never seen a replay but from my view I thought those calls were questionable at best. What did others see?
I didn't see either of them well in the stadium, but I felt in the moment that the Jackson one was pretty questionable. Felt like it was fairly bang-bang and I felt like the lineman was kind of tackling him into the QB after Jackson basically pancaked him.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUATT

Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:23 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FUBF24

Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:18 pm

Default Avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FUBF24

Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:15 pm

Default Avatar A favor - Paul C and Gman84

by gofurman

Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:07 pm

Default Avatar What do we know about our team

by gofurman

Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:55 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.