• SOCON WEEK 4

#90713  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:52 am
Light slate this week as UTC, Wofford and Samfod are idle.
1:30 NORFOLK ST @ VMI Keydets have a chance for their first win and maybe only.
3:00 WESTERN CAROLINA @ MONTANA Most interesting game of the week.
6:00 ETSU @ ELON Can the bucs make it 2 in a row for the SoCon over Elon?
6:00 FURMAN @ WILLIAM & MARY FU must air it out to have a chance.
6:00 CITADEL @ MERCER Bears go to an early 2-0 lead in the SoCon.
 #90717  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:20 am
apaladin wrote:
NOTE - Samford is idle prior to our game. I wish they were not... they are not playing well and off weeks can do funny things positive and negative. I would take the current Samford version over a Samford with any variance
 #90788  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:44 am
apaladin wrote:

I guess VMI has a chance to win. I thought Norfolk State looked good their first game and almost beat a seemingly pretty good FAMU team. I haven't seen how they've played since then, but are they any worse than Bucknell?

WCU at Montana, ETSU at Elon, and Furman at W&M are all good chances for the SoCon to make some noise in the national landscape. I did not realize that all three SoCon teams were on the road. That certainly makes it tougher. WCU hasn't looked as good as I think many people thought they would to this point, but they did beat what is supposed to be a pretty good Elon team so that's something. Winning in Montana is very difficult, so it will be interesting to see how they perform. ETSU at Elon is equally interesting to me. Can ETSU maintain that level of play from last week or was that a team getting up for a big game at home under the lights. ETSU certainly has looked better. Elon will be another good test.

I'm not going to comment on Furman and W&M based on some of the interactions on here this week. I tried to make some general observations in the W&M thread. I'll leave it at that.

The Citadel at Mercer could be another enlightening game. I definitely think Mercer is the better team and will likely win, but I feel like I always take a little more away from these SoCon games since we are generally more familiar with those teams. I don't believe in the transitive property as an absolute when it comes to football games because there is just so much different from week to week, but certainly every game gives you a little more to go off of when trying to assess how all these teams stack up each week.
 #90790  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:50 am
From what I can glean, the SoCon is going to be a slugfest this year.

The weaker teams from last year, by and large, appear to be better this season. The stronger teams from last year appear to be in transition. I do not see any team that's just the overwhelming favorite right now.

I'm honestly glad Furman starts out with four non conference games and get some of these young guys a lot of snaps before conference play.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUATT

Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:23 pm

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FUBF24

Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:18 pm

Default Avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FUBF24

Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:15 pm

Default Avatar A favor - Paul C and Gman84

by gofurman

Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:07 pm

Default Avatar What do we know about our team

by gofurman

Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:55 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.