• Furman v Stetson

#90611  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:29 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:19 pm
I thought Gavin Hall looked great, running behind our 2nd and 3rd team OL. And Stetson had many defensive starters still in the game.
Hall and Hughes both seemed to give us a little something extra in the run game in terms of elusiveness and keeping the play alive.

It could be our running game just needs to figure out what we do well, and then keep doing that.
 #90612  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:32 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:15 pm
Hope we learned and improved. Our passing game and RPO looked nice. Running game was sketchy through 3 quarters.

Just used to old Furman strong OL and run. This is odd to me
One of our Achilles heals the last several seasons has been our inability to connect on the long ball. We showed today how that can open up an offense. Teams have sold out to stop our run because we could not beat teams deep. I’m not saying that our offense is fixed. We have a lot of work to do, but we can see what is possible. I know that GF is always looking at the two deep, we only have 2 seniors on offense and 4 on defense that are listed as starters. We are young but the future is bright!
A couple of us were texting during the game that a few of the throws Hedden made we haven't seen from a Furman QB in a long time.

That ball to Harris down the sideline was a beautiful throw.
dornb, Davemeister liked this
 #90620  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:52 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:19 pm
I thought Gavin Hall looked great, running behind our 2nd and 3rd team OL. And Stetson had many defensive starters still in the game.
I completely agree. His spark reminded me of Jaquan’s spark.

I still am not sure the current arrangement on OL is our best. But, Cutch knows best. I think we struggle at tackle still. 51 played has played tackle and has better feet. I’d bump 72 to a guard and 51 to a tackle. I was also glad to see us move to under center flawlessly when we’re a predominant shotgun team.
 #90621  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:52 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:15 pm
Hope we learned and improved. Our passing game and RPO looked nice. Running game was sketchy through 3 quarters.

Just used to old Furman strong OL and run. This is odd to me
One of our Achilles heals the last several seasons has been our inability to connect on the long ball. We showed today how that can open up an offense. Teams have sold out to stop our run because we could not beat teams deep. I’m not saying that our offense is fixed. We have a lot of work to do, but we can see what is possible. I know that GF is always looking at the two deep, we only have 2 seniors on offense and 4 on defense that are listed as starters. We are young but the future is bright!
I hope so. Yes we are young. Especially on offense. Just want a little more run help for the pass game - that’s one reason I always like old school FU. run to set up pass 😀. Just may not get that this year I guess.

Better passes than I’ve seen us have in a long time. I agree !!!
Bill and Mary will be a serious test. But still a game to improve before SoCon.

Anyway. Go Furman!!!!!
 #90623  by Paul C
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:54 pm
A rough start.

Too many penalties

OL still struggling to block but were able to throw over the top once we adjusted. That’s very valuable experience.

DBs need to learn how to play the ball

Glad we hit our stride and also happy we got some youngsters some PT

Gavin Hall and Hester gonna be fun to watch. Hall reminds me of CMC.
 #90624  by Paul C
Oh, and if we never throw another WR screen I’ll be happy
FU3, gman84 liked this
 #90626  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
Except the fake screen right and QB run left was a lucrative play!
 #90628  by FU3
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:25 pm
This team is going to be a work in progress. Glad we finally took some shots down field because Stetson was packing the box . With Devin Hester now in the mix when is the last time Furman had this much talent at WR? I know CCH likes to hang on to Redshirts but Hall and Hester are going to be tough not to play.
 #90629  by gman84
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:38 pm
FU3 wrote:
This team is going to be a work in progress. Glad we finally took some shots down field because Stetson was packing the box . With Devin Hester now in the mix when is the last time Furman had this much talent at WR? I know CCH likes to hang on to Redshirts but Hall and Hester are going to be tough not to play.
2004. West and Bratton. Forget those RedShirts.
dornb liked this
 #90631  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:59 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
Except the fake screen right and QB run left was a lucrative play!
Honestly, sometimes those little passes/screens to the slot don't do much, but it sets up stuff like this. Not a single Stetson defender thought Hedden would keep that ball.

dornb, MNORM, FUATT liked this
 #90633  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:12 pm
I also thought it was interesting how Furman was using both Hinton and Hester on the field at the same time.

I would have assumed that you would likely see one or the other, with Hester and Hinton being similar type players.

Furman, instead, would line them up opposite of one another, basically giving the defense the same problem on both sides of the field. Hinton, to his credit, showed a good ability to block downfield. He isn't big, but he gets after you.
 #90648  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:27 pm
My rapid reaction:

- It's good to get a win. Things looked a bit our of synch early, but righted ourselves and started to put it on them.

- Hedden makes some really impressive throws. He's going to be an excellent player for us.

- pass protection held up well. Much better than last week.

- Not sure what seems off in the run game. We seem to struggle a bit more with zone runs than with powers and counters. It's like we aren't getting to the second level to cut off the trailing linebackers.

- We are struggling on 50/50 balls in man coverage. I think we had at least three defensive pass interferences on balls just chunked in the air.

- It seems Stetson, like everyone, wanted to stuff the run and make us beat them throwing it. We were able to do that. Once the RPO game started working the offense started to really move.

- Ian Williams is a major weapon for us.

- Defense really got after them. The QB was banged around a bunch back there. We had three picks. Played a lot of guys.
I came back specifically to mention Ian Williams !!! Wow. Gamecocks wish they could kick those FGs. Ha

I don’t understand football as some of you but even today we seem to have 10 minute periods where we couldn’t get a 4 yard run and then 10 minute periods where the runs were “ok”. I can’t figure what’s changing. Any help here with diagnosis. ???
 #90649  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:06 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:38 pm
FU3 wrote:
2004. West and Bratton. Forget those RedShirts.
West and Bratton were the best duo I’ve ever seen us have imo
 #90657  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:41 pm
Ian Wilkiams is FU’s MVP right now. That 57 yard fg had plenty of distance. He kicks it to the back of the end zone 9 out if 10 times. Does a pretty good job punting too.
dornb, gman84, Davemeister liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by palafan

Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:02 am

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUTex

Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:49 am

User avatar starting lineup projection

by apaladin

Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by apaladin

Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:37 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.