• SOCON WEEK 3

#90636  by furmandad
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:38 pm
ETSU just drove 75 yards down the field and scored again. 28-17 ETSU. Big line. Big/fast receivers. Couple of strong/shifty RB’s. D is strong. This game has a quarter and a half to go, but the SoCon may have a new front runner.
 #90638  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:01 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:38 pm
ETSU just drove 75 yards down the field and scored again. 28-17 ETSU. Big line. Big/fast receivers. Couple of strong/shifty RB’s. D is strong. This game has a quarter and a half to go, but the SoCon may have a new front runner.
Could be too that one of these national programs is finally willing to come on the road to a decent SoCon team.
 #90641  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:41 pm
What an EPIC choke by ETSU lol.....................
 #90642  by furmandad
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:50 pm
Yep, they imploded.
Corners falling down in pass coverage.
5 guys around a muffed punt and the punt returner recovers it.
Two dropped interceptions.
Muffed the onsides kick.
 #90643  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:52 pm
furmandad wrote:
Yep, they imploded.
Muffed the onsides kick.
Learning how to close out games is almost a skill in itself.

It took Furman a few years to figure it out.
 #90644  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:58 pm
Looks like Elon was trying to tie the game against WCU late, the Cats blocked the kick and returned it for a touchdown.

It appears WCU will hold on over Elon on the road.
 #90645  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:59 pm
Mercer takes down UTC on the road.

UTC looks essentially like the same team we've seen the past few years - good defense and offense just trying to get the ball to their shifty receivers.

Mercer going to be stingy on defense.
 #90646  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:00 pm
An implosion yes. But PROCESS oriented I would feel real good as an ETSU fan in about two days. That’s the best I’ve seen in SoCon so far. BY FAR !,,

I wish we had lost to NDSU like that today vs our win on Stetson. As the poker and sports podcasts I listen to say… just get the money in with the best hand. That’s all you can do

Nick Saban pretty good, right?. He Eschewed results. PROCESS BABY, PROCESS. Thus 7 NATIONAL TITLES. Process better than Dabo or CCH etc.

I do laugh a little at sayings like “teams need to learn how to close out games”. I never learned that and we ALWAYS won close games in high school. How? We had a future big time player who always saved us. The team had no idea how to win. Seriously. But no one could stop this dude.
 #90647  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:02 pm
The SoCon is going to be a dog fight this year. Teams are going to need to know how to close out games. I don't know that there's going to be a bunch of blowouts every week.

On a positive note, I didn't see anything today that lead me to think Furman is behind the curve with conference competition. Play clean football and we'll have a good shot to win.
 #90650  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:15 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:41 pm
What an EPIC choke by ETSU lol.....................
Gardner-Webb has always known how to lose, just wearng different jerseys and relocated this year. :lol:
 #90651  by BearDownMU
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:16 pm
What I learned this week is you better strap 'em up and get ready every week in this conference. I don't see a lot of gimmies out there.
FUBeAR, gman84 liked this
 #90653  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
The SoCon is going to be a dog fight this year. Teams are going to need to know how to close out games. I don't know that there's going to be a bunch of blowouts every week.

On a positive note, I didn't see anything today that lead me to think Furman is behind the curve with conference competition. Play clean football and we'll have a good shot to win.
So having 7 yds rushing in the first half after the first drive means nothing? We had 48 yds on 16 carries in the first half. Finished with only 171 yds which most came late. We have to run the ball much better period.
 #90656  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Clean meaning cut out those durn pass interference (which were legit calls). Have to get our head turned or something. And certainly no roughing passer though I don’t worry there. CCH will yank you out of game if we keep those up. The PIs by CBs are much more worrisome. After CSU I am sure they were working on that this week. And yet it was the same

Honestly, if I am a Furman opponent… I’m chunking a few extra balls deep vs a particular DB or so. I have a 40% chance I can just throw it short and get a huge PI call.
 #90677  by gman84
 Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:04 am
furmandad wrote:
Yep, they imploded.
Muffed the onsides kick.
ETSU blew a golden opportunity for the SoCon from a national perspective. You have that game at home and can’t close it out!

Recent Topics

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUTex

Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:49 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:15 am

User avatar starting lineup projection

by apaladin

Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by apaladin

Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:37 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.