• Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

#90511  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:11 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:54 pm
Stetson does not appear to list a depth chart, so I went and watched a bit of their Warner game.

Defensively, they are in a 3 man front. They started off with 5 DBs on the field off the jump, so their base defense looks something between a 3-4 and 3-3-5. Given their roster, I would call it maybe 3 DL, 3 LBs, and 3 safeties.

Their defense has a couple of guys that look like they are SoCon players. The DE (#5) is listed at 6'4 287. Their MLB (#11) is 6'2 226.

As you might expect, up front a lot of their guys are sort of "tweeners" - They may have length but not weight, or weight but not length.

Offensively, they run out of the spread in what I would call an "air raid." They truly try to spread you out, with wide splits between the offensive linemen, and wide receivers split out from numbers to numbers. Even the backs will often set up spread out from the QB. They are going to try to have you defend all of the horizontal and vertical space on the field.

The QB, Meitz (#9) is listed at 6'1 185. He's got a decent arm, but seems to telegraph where he wants to throw it. Warner was able to jump some of their receivers routes. They also got pretty good pressure on him just rushing four.

A few takeaways:

1. I think Furman is going to have the better athletes, particularly defensively. Stetson's offense at times struggled against a defense that isn't near the quality of ours.

Our DBs are going to have to come up and play physical on the edges. We'll get pressure on the QB, so I suspect they'll be trying to get the ball horizontal quickly.

2. We're going to have to run the ball. Stetson's defense has a couple of dudes on it that play hard. We should have size and speed advantage up front.

My general read is that Stetson almost prefers for you to try to spread them out so they can use their three safety look to drop guys in and out of coverages to create unique looks. Warner tried to combat that by brining multiple TEs and playing tighter sets (what Hendrix might call "playing in a phone booth"). This put Stetson in more of a traditional 3-4 look and took away some of their blitz packages.

At bottom, they are one of these spread teams that likes playing in space on both sides of the ball. I think Furman is going to want to force them to play hard nosed football between the tackles.
Jackal THANK YOU for the scouting here. Much appreciated
 #90515  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:52 am
9/14 Stetson @ Furman
The Paladins are wounded with their 0-2 record, but a young, reloading Team will encounter a speed bump or 2 along the way. But a QB change, like a new broom, sweeps clean. FUBeAR just read that FU’s True Freshman wunderkind QB is a combination of Ingle Martin, Frankie DeBusk, and, yep, Patrick Mahomes. You may not know those names, but FUBeAR is told they are/were pretty fair QB’s. The Stetson Hatters’ campus is just up the road from Trey Hedden’s hometown, so expect him to show out BIG for the hometown folks in his 1st college start. Paladins doff the Hatters.

Furman 77 - Stetson 0
 #90613  by cavedweller2
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:32 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:39 pm
48-3
Looks like we have a winner!
jesse174, gofurman liked this
 #90771  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
9/14 Stetson @ Furman
The Paladins are wounded with their 0-2 record, but a young, reloading Team will encounter a speed bump or 2 along the way. But a QB change, like a new broom, sweeps clean. FUBeAR just read that FU’s True Freshman wunderkind QB is a combination of Ingle Martin, Frankie DeBusk, and, yep, Patrick Mahomes. You may not know those names, but FUBeAR is told they are/were pretty fair QB’s. The Stetson Hatters’ campus is just up the road from Trey Hedden’s hometown, so expect him to show out BIG for the hometown folks in his 1st college start. Paladins doff the Hatters.

Furman 77 - Stetson 0
Perhaps FUBeAR was a tad optimistic, but, in the main, he had the right idea.

FUR - Passing
Player Cmp Att. Yds. TD Int. Long
Hedden,Trey 20 27 267 2 0 58

Will commit to reading every 3rd post by AP & GF this week in order to temper his enthusiasm.
 #90772  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:19 am
FUBeAR, you know CCH well enough to know he would never allow his team to score 70 points on anyone. The only way that ever happens is if the other team is scoring a bunch. Score would probably have been a little closer if they had their QB but prolly not much closer.
 #90776  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:36 am
FUBeAR wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
9/14 Stetson @ Furman

Furman 77 - Stetson 0

FUR - Passing

Will commit to reading every 3rd post by AP & GF this week in order to temper his enthusiasm.
FUBeAR. That’s a little rude and WRONG. one, I’m a HUGE FAN.

And two it is a little ignorant as AP said. CCH doesn’t run up scores like Lane Kiffin. He said exactly that post game at Ole Miss. CCH HIMSELF SAID - after Ole Miss - that he has been on the other side of that type game and there two ways to handle it. Meaning that CCH doesn’t run up scores. CCH was gracious in ending Bobby Lambs career at Mercer to be honest. Coukda piled on more but didn’t.

So I see that you don’t listen to our coach who basically has TOLD US there would not be a 77-0. CCH doesn’t do that. And I’m proud he doesn’t. I don’t think we will ever see a 77-0 with CCH. Too classy
Last edited by gofurman on Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #90778  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:10 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:36 am
FUBeAR wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
9/14 Stetson @ Furman

Furman 77 - Stetson 0

FUR - Passing

FUBeAR. That’s a little rude and WRONG. one, I’m a HUGE FAN.

And two it is a little ignorant as AP said. CCH doesn’t run up scores like Lane Kiffin. He said exactly that post game at Ole Miss. CCH HIMSELF SAID - after Ole Miss - that he has been on the other side of that type game and there two ways to handle it. Meaning that CCH doesn’t run up scores. CCH was gracious in ending Bobby Lambs career at Mercer to be honest. Coukda piled on more but didn’t.

So I see that you don’t listen to our coach who basically has TOLD US there would not be a 77-0. CCH doesn’t do that. And I’m proud he doesn’t. I don’t think we will ever see a 77-0 with CCH. Too classy
Mercer was 2-1 and 1-0 in the SoCon when Mercer played at Furman in 2019. Quite a stretch to claim that Coach Hendrix ‘ended Coach Lamb’s career at Mercer’ with 8 total and 6 SoCon games remaining on the schedule that year.

A still possible, after the Furman loss, record of 10-2 / 7-1 would have won the SoCon Championship and assuredly been a Playoff season for Mercer.

Going 4-8 / 3-5 with a 7th place SoCon finish in his final season and Mercer going 27-29 for the 5 prior seasons resulted in Coach Lamb’s contract at Mercer not being extended.