• Stetson and Furman

#90453  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:07 pm
No changes in the starting lineup except for the injured TE Burrell and of course the expected QB change with Hedden as the starter.
Looked like a decent amount of changes on the defensive side.

Achina back to LB, Babin listed as starter at spur, Perkins replaces Ingram as starting corner, Herbert off the depth chart completely (injury related?), Gummer now listed as back up FS.

Also found it interesting that true freshman Jackson Pryor is listed on the depth chart as the back up TE with Aiden Ruckh.
apaladin, AstroDin liked this
 #90457  by AstroDin
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:26 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
apaladin wrote:
No changes in the starting lineup except for the injured TE Burrell and of course the expected QB change with Hedden as the starter.

Achina back to LB, Babin listed as starter at spur, Perkins replaces Ingram as starting corner, Herbert off the depth chart completely (injury related?), Gummer now listed as back up FS.

Also found it interesting that true freshman Jackson Pryor is listed on the depth chart as the back up TE with Aiden Ruckh.
I'd keep an eye on Pryor — he's got a hybrid TE/WR look to him. At 6-5 210, he's got some twitch to him. He was also an all-conference basketball player.

Hedden targeted Chappell a good bit against CSU. I'll be interested to see some sets with both 6-5 TE's in the same set.
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #90458  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:35 am
Hedden starting seemed a foregone conclusion after Saturday. If you are going to play him, you might as well start him.

I liked what I saw. He's going to make mistakes, but his ability to move in the pocket, keep his eyes downfield, and put the ball on target was impressive. His game reminded me of Ingle Martin.
AstroDin liked this
 #90459  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:45 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We knew going into the season that it may take a minute to settle the SPUR position.

Babin is more of a linebacker. I assume he'll be used to provide a more traditional 3-4 look, perhaps in more obvious run situations.

Javaris Jones has been a surprise. He was a spring signee and was not even highlighted in the pre-season writeup about the defensive backs. He played a lot against Ole Miss and I guess now has broken into the two deep.
 #90460  by AstroDin
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Hedden starting seemed a foregone conclusion after Saturday. If you are going to play him, you might as well start him.

I liked what I saw. He's going to make mistakes, but his ability to move in the pocket, keep his eyes downfield, and put the ball on target was impressive. His game reminded me of Ingle Martin.
I'll throw another comparison out there… Hedden has a creative flair for passing. I think he threw an incomplete pass into the end zone to Ferguson. It was a sidearm throw similar to some of Mahomes' throws. The way I saw it, Hedden saw Ferguson breaking open, streaking towards the end zone. Instead of throwing over the top of all the clutter of BUCS, he saw the angle to throw it sidearm, and he did it with velocity. Ferguson couldn't catch up to it.

I do see some Ingle Martin in Hedden, but he's got a swagger, and maybe his style is more akin to Frankie DeBusk. When he knew he was coming in the game. He went into let's get it on mode. He hit the bike for a few fast reps, put his helmet on, fired some bullets to Hinton, turned and ran to Justin Roper. #8 wants to play!
FUwolfpacker, gman84 liked this
 #90461  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:12 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:26 am
I'd keep an eye on Pryor — he's got a hybrid TE/WR look to him. At 6-5 210, he's got some twitch to him. He was also an all-conference basketball player.
My surprise is more that Pryor is more ready to play than Tormey, but my guess is that Pryor is closer to Burrell than Tormey in regards to how well he moves/how fast he is. If Burrell was going to be a big part of the gameplan, then it would make sense to get a guy in there similar to him.

The Jackal wrote: Javaris Jones has been a surprise. He was a spring signee and was not even highlighted in the pre-season writeup about the defensive backs. He played a lot against Ole Miss and I guess now has broken into the two deep.
Didn't foresee any of these freshmen DBs having to play much this year, but I also didn't see us losing 2 safeties for the year with injury and one being out for an indeterminate amount of time. It will be good in the long run for him to get this experience now.

If Pryor plays, I think that means at least 5 (Heddan, Hall, Hester, Jones, Riley Smith, and potentially Pryor) of the 18 (I think) guys signed in the 2024 class will have played this year with 4 playing multiple games and at least 3 (Hedden, Hester, and Jones) looking like they aren't going to redshirt. Not a huge surprise given how many guys we lost. Lots of opportunity for younger guys to earn significant playing time.
 #90462  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:24 am
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I'll throw another comparison out there… Hedden has a creative flair for passing. I think he threw an incomplete pass into the end zone to Ferguson. It was a sidearm throw similar to some of Mahomes' throws. The way I saw it, Hedden saw Ferguson breaking open, streaking towards the end zone. Instead of throwing over the top of all the clutter of BUCS, he saw the angle to throw it sidearm, and he did it with velocity. Ferguson couldn't catch up to it.

I do see some Ingle Martin in Hedden, but he's got a swagger, and maybe his style is more akin to Frankie DeBusk. When he knew he was coming in the game. He went into let's get it on mode. He hit the bike for a few fast reps, put his helmet on, fired some bullets to Hinton, turned and ran to Justin Roper. #8 wants to play!

I think this is sort of why Hedden is out there

Avoids the rush, moves out of the pocket. CSU has a spy on him. Throws on the run (actually, he throws is about 30 yards and doesn't have either foot on the ground when he releases it). Puts it right on Ferguson's hands.

A note too about Ferguson. He is a slippery character out there. CSU was struggling to get hands on him even if it was flag football, much less tackle football.

Hedden seems to have a good rapport with Ferguson, who had over 100 yard receiving Saturday. Ferguson, through two games, is already about 1/3 of the way to his entire receiving total from last year over 13 games.

Both guys on that play are pretty impressive. Ferguson to lose his man and sit in the zone. Hedden to keep looking downfield and put it right on him.
 #90463  by AstroDin
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:34 am
Add to that he was rolling right and threw Ben a rope…
LOL, you said it - sorry!

I'm excited to see Hedden and this offense develop.
 #90469  by Davemeister
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:12 am
Weather Forecast:

Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 11am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 11am and 1pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 71. East northeast wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Does a Rain Game favor Furman or Stetson?
 #90470  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:15 am
Davemeister wrote:
Weather Forecast:

Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 11am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 11am and 1pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 71. East northeast wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Not sure, but FUBeAR does know that…

Davemeister liked this
 #90471  by Davemeister
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:22 am
Thanks Bear, I needed an Attitude Adjuster like that.

"Rain Makes Whiskey", and I betcha it also makes Wicked Weed.

Let it pour.
FUBeAR liked this
 #90472  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:52 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:34 am
I'm excited to see Hedden and this offense develop.
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Hedden…His game reminded me of Ingle Martin.
I'll throw another comparison out there…It was a sidearm throw similar to some of Mahomes' throws.

I do see some Ingle Martin in Hedden, but he's got a swagger, and maybe his style is more akin to Frankie DeBusk.
Well…With Hedden being a combination of a 3 time Super Bowl-winning & 3 time Super Bowl MVP, 2 time NFL MVP, 6 time NFL Pro Bowl, AND an SEC-starting, NFL draft choice, 4 years in the League, 1st Team FCS All-American, 1st Team All-SoCon, FCS Semi-Final leading, AND a 2 time 1st Team All-SoCon, FCS National Championship winning Quarterback…how could you NOT be excited!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #90478  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:49 pm
I suspect a small crowd Saturday after the first 2 games. Maybe 6000-6500?
Revieed since it MIGHT rain, the over under is 3K,
Looks like we will be ok, rain chances for Saturday continue to go down. Down from 90% to 64% and probably no rain during the game. Why does Chris Justice always err to the worst case scenario.
 #90480  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:03 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Weather Forecast:

The underdog always.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:14 pm

User avatar What do we know about our team

by apaladin

Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:40 pm

User avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by FUBeAR

Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:58 am

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUBeAR

Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:56 am

Default Avatar Paladins notes

by gman84

Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:27 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.