• Stetson and Furman

#90420  by FUTex
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:23 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:02 pm
Am he wear a Hat when he immersed from the wood to sack the FU QB?
A very thoughtful question. My little brother usually wears a regular cap with the name of a trucking company on it. On gamedays he gets all liquored up and wears a bucket hat with "Mark 14:52" on it. Then he lives it out, as one should.

I think it would be best if we get Carson Heddon one of those plastic loungers you see at motel poolsides. That way when the ball is hiked to him he can already be prone and not have such a long way to reach his fated destination.

Here's the point: The Paladins should adopt a non-lawnchair oriented offensive line plan. That way Carson Heddon can have some time and room to make decisions without the dire physical consequence of someone looking like my little brother coming at him from out of the woods amidst the wailing and lamentations of all the fauna that had just been so terribly traumatized. ...Or a task-driven defensive lineman, whichever may apply in the given circumstances. In short, we haven't given Carson Heddon a fair shot yet. Even the great Frankie Lamb couldn't show his stuff with the ordure we so far have provided.
 #90423  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:43 am
Hard to know what to expect from Stetson.

They are 2-0, but played Warner and Ave Maria, two NAIA schools. I don't know if they've gotten any better, but I remember seeing Warner and Ave Maria when they popped up on Mercer's schedule a few times, and they were glorified high school teams.

Stetson isn't afraid of scheduling some bigger FCS competition. They went to Montana State last year. They'll play the Ivey league schools. I don't think they are going to be a team that will be intimidated of Furman as they appear to seek out bigger competition in their non-conference play.

They beat Presbyterian last year, who beat Wofford, who beat us. So, my inclination is we do not need to take them lightly. They are not going to be the best team we'll play this year, but I suspect they'll be a little plucky and I'm not sure we're good enough right now to let anyone hang around (as we learned last week).
 #90424  by Stumpy
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:47 am
FUTex wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:23 am
...wears a bucket hat with "Mark 14:52" on it.
Oh shit.
I'm getting me one of those.
FUBeAR liked this
 #90430  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:07 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:43 am
Stetson…played Warner and Ave Maria, two NAIA schools… I remember seeing Warner and Ave Maria when they popped up on Mercer's schedule a few times…
Ave Maria deserves massive props for their mascot…

First applied to Marines as a jocular reference by other branches of the service, the Marines quickly adopted “gyrene” as an affectionate, self-descriptive phrase - one that made them stand out from other services. During World Wars I and II the phrase “GI” was applied to all service members as being “Government Issue.” Then and now, Gyrene was understood to be special kind of “government issue” - a “government issue Marine,” or “Gyrene.”

While not a commonly used term today, it is remembered with great nostalgia by older Americans who identify the name with that special breed of young men who fought the desperate battles of Belleau Wood and the island campaigns of the Pacific. These men formed the battle history of the United States Marine Corps and fashioned an ethos that inspires the men and women who serve in today’s Marine Corps.

The school's founder, Tom Monaghan (pictured below with Jax the Gyrene), founder of Domino’s Pizza (and FUBeAR’s former boss), served in the United States Marine Corps (as did Papa FUBeAR, a veteran of the aforementioned “island campaigns of the Pacific”).
GO GYRENES!!

The Bears played & defeated Ave Maria only once (2014 (42-21)).

And…here’s a fun play from 2014, during one of Mercer’s 2 wins (2013 (61-0) & 2014 (56-0)) over Warner, with a cameo by FUBeAR Jr., playing the role of “Head Pin.”
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #90433  by FUTex
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:39 pm
Another invaluable post from FUBear, revealing his inscriptive and analysis-heavy research. Remember folks, FUBear Jr is an Old Testament scholar. He knows his stuff, awright.

My little brother (the one mentioned above) is a former Marine AND a former SOCON football player - no joke. Now he destroys lawnchairs. You never know how things are gonna work out.
FUBeAR liked this
 #90435  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:13 pm
FUTex wrote:
Another invaluable post from FUBear, revealing his inscriptive and analysis-heavy research. Remember folks, FUBear Jr is an Old Testament scholar. He knows his stuff, awright.

My little brother (the one mentioned above) is a former Marine AND a former SOCON football player - no joke. Now he destroys lawnchairs. You never know how things are gonna work out.
FUBeAR Jr. may very well be an Old Testament scholar. Little son-of a-gun is a scholar (AKA, know-it-ALL) on most every subject, as, unlike FUBeAR, he is most definitely NOT a Bear of very little brain.

FUBeAR, OTOH, prefers the latter covenant, of which he can best be described as passingly familiar…barely. He needs that forgiveness and restoration stuff at least hourly, if not more frequently. Joe King made sure that FUBeAR knew that well.

Curious, though, where did Tex the Younger buckle up his chinstrap? Am he GUS?
 #90436  by SidBreamScores
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:23 pm
FUTex wrote:

Semper Fi and God Bless Them both.

Would you advise I rid my property of lawnchairs before our son comes home on leave?
 #90437  by FUTex
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:32 pm
"Curious, though, where did Tex the Younger buckle up his chinstrap? Am he GUS?"

ETSU. As did my dad. My brother was a fullback then a tight end. My dad was a tailback. I wanted to play on the gridiron at ETSU but was denied for being a "fragile little jittery embarrassment", or some such thing. My dad sure had a way with words.

No, he am not GUS.

SidBream, when your son gets home you don't necessarily need to hide your lawnchairs. Just hide things that need a beating and things that need tidying up.
 #90439  by Paladin82
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:49 pm
FUTex wrote:
"Curious, though, where did Tex the Younger buckle up his chinstrap? Am he GUS?"

ETSU. As did my dad. My brother was a fullback then a tight end. My dad was a tailback. I wanted to play on the gridiron at ETSU but was denied for being a "fragile little jittery embarrassment", or some such thing. My dad sure had a way with words.

No, he am not GUS.

SidBream, when your son gets home you don't necessarily need to hide your lawnchairs. Just hide things that need a beating and things that need tidying up.
I played ball with your brother in High School at NSHS and played against him in College, a good guy. Nice to hear he hasn't changed much.
 #90442  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:19 pm
FUTex wrote:

No, he am not GUS.

TEX, in all seriousness, did you attend Furman or ETSU or ? I am confused. If you came to FU I am glad you came to your senses :)

and absolutely SEMPER FI
 #90443  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:23 pm
the progress of this thread titled “Stetson and Furman” is remarkable
 #90447  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:49 pm
I suspect a small crowd Saturday after the first 2 games. Maybe 6000-6500?
Revieed since it MIGHT rain, the over under is 3K,
 #90448  by FUTex
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:04 pm
A small crowd isn't preferred, but let's look on the bright side. Think of low game attendance as simply our appeal is becoming more selective.

GF, I went to Furman 79-82. Its sedate atmosphere was well-suited for someone like me; kept me aligned and focused. If I had gone to less-mannered environment I would have exploded.
 #90449  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:07 pm
No changes in the starting lineup except for the injured TE Burrell and of course the expected QB change with Hedden as the starter.

Recent Topics

User avatar Paladins notes

by Davemeister

Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:52 am

User avatar What do we know about our team

by Davemeister

Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:41 am

Default Avatar Comparison. Gofurman ? Realistic ?

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:17 am

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:51 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.