• Injuries

#90220  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 4:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:20 pm
I realize I can do nothing to convince a few of you otherwise, but there's not much evidence that we are "super thin" at defensive back.

We have guys that aren't household names yet. But just because we don't know their names doesn't mean they aren't good players.

We lost two players we hoped to have and would have been expected to play a good bit in Burrell and Hartwell. That happens, unfortunately. It happens every year somewhere.

I think our depth is fine. We don't have guys with as many starts or snaps to their credit, but we have a lot of talent back there. Ole Miss was a tough first draw, but I suspect we'll be just fine.

Just lost two guys there at one position. Hopefully the guys we have are awesome and we win by 20 and I come away feeling better - especially if we see good DB play ! I do see that SC State ran the ball well on Citadel which CSU could not so I hope we win the LOS

again, positive. So maybe CSU isn't great per the SC State Citadel score. But let's see what we see and hopefully I feel better ;)
 #90222  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:28 pm
11 Burrell from FSU. left game on golf cart
 #90312  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
I realize I can do nothing to convince a few of you otherwise, but there's not much evidence that we are "super thin" at defensive back.

We have guys that aren't household names yet. But just because we don't know their names doesn't mean they aren't good players.

We lost two players we hoped to have and would have been expected to play a good bit in Burrell and Hartwell. That happens, unfortunately. It happens every year somewhere.

I think our depth is fine. We don't have guys with as many starts or snaps to their credit, but we have a lot of talent back there. Ole Miss was a tough first draw, but I suspect we'll be just fine.
Actually I think we both now agree ole Miss was a rough draw because we weren’t close enough to get much practice. If we had played VTech or someone lesser I wonder if our DBs might have learned more in game one
 #90315  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:36 am
Joshua Burrell left CSU game on cart. CCH said in presser maybe a few weeks? I would take that if on a cart. Get well young man
 #90316  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:45 am
The Jackal wrote:

I’m am paraphrasing our own coach. Post CSU he said in presser “we are in a little bit of a tough spot with the guys we lost in August”. That’s all. CCH went on to say “that’s football “ but still he took time to note we are in a tough spot
 #90382  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:36 pm
Hendrix said today that Burrell will be out at best 6-8 weeks. Had surgery yesterday. Another tough break. Hopefully he can be back for the last few games and that those games will matter.
 #90384  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:24 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:36 pm
Hendrix said today that Burrell will be out at best 6-8 weeks. Had surgery yesterday. Another tough break. Hopefully he can be back for the last few games and that those games will matter.
Thank you FUwolfpacker. Bum news but thanks for passing it in.

*** I guess he is eligible next year if he wanted to use a medical redshirt? Or has he already used that and this is his only year for us ?
 #90390  by DeepPurple
 Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:16 am
We are not like the majority of schools that can hit the portal. We cant take the 99% of what most other schools can take. Our admissions are tough as we all know. We are fortunate to get a few grad transfers who have the academics to get in. We are very limited in those choices.
 #90711  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:19 am
The Jackal wrote:

This hasn’t aged well. YET. I truly do hope we improve in the DB space
 #90715  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:34 am
I am not entirely sure of the point of your post.

Furman has played two FCS teams. We held both to 143 yards passing. Charleston Southern completed slightly over 50% of their passes. Stetson completed under 40% of their passes.

Charleston Southern had two passing touchdowns on 50/50 balls. Both of those throws were covered and the receiver went up and made a play. Stetson was picked off three times.

Our DBs struggled against Ole Miss, who has now outscored their opponents 168-9 this season. They held up pretty well against the two FCS teams we've played.
 #90716  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:34 am
I am not entirely sure of the point of your post.

Furman has played two FCS teams. We held both to 143 yards passing. Charleston Southern completed slightly over 50% of their passes. Stetson completed under 40% of their passes.

Charleston Southern had two passing touchdowns on 50/50 balls. Both of those throws were covered and the receiver went up and made a play. Stetson was picked off three times.

Our DBs struggled against Ole Miss, who has now outscored their opponents 168-9 this season. They held up pretty well against the two FCS teams we've played.
most people here agree with me - we are losing on the 50/50 balls either by a catch or PASS INTERFERENCE. we had THREE Defensive PIs in one game I believe. Not sure how that is recorded in the box score other than a penalty... (kind of like a QB gets penalized in his stats for a WR drop) - but I know it hurts us on the field.

Pretty sure FU74 and Paul C etc have said the SAME THING - (but you didn't debate with them?? why only me ???) -

here post 90707 from FUATT a perhaps softer version but we see what he is saying: "In the back on D we are going to find the best guys. Lewis is young but seems to have a nose for the ball and gives us a little more size back there. And we are going to have to get to the QB so those longer, jump ball routes don't have as much time to develop, but if you are rushing 4 and they max protect to throw that route... gonna be hard. "

From Gman directly below post 90718 - "The coverage is there. What isn't is how the dbs are playing the ball/receiver. CCH stated this in the pressor. Hopefully this improves with experience. " So maybe I am misstating the exact issue. Maybe the guys are in position but either getting beat by the WRs (twice big TDs by CSU or getting called for Defensive PI

From our former player - FUPlayer74 - "Hate to say it but we're staring down the barrel of a tough season. Glaring weaknesses in running game and corner coverage.

From I-85 Paladin in post 90227 "Secondary is a bit suspect but offense has no flow."

From YOURSELF (!!!) in post 90609 - but I get it maybe I didn't use the correct terminology - " We are struggling on 50/50 balls in man coverage. I think we had at least three defensive pass interferences on balls just chunked in the air."

But somehow you only respond to mine ??? Either respond to all or none. Everyone called out the DB / backfield etc.

Anyway, We will know a LOT more this week -
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
 #90718  by gman84
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:24 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

The coverage is there. What isn't is how the dbs are playing the ball/receiver. CCH stated this in the pressor. Hopefully this improves with experience.
 #90719  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:30 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:24 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

The coverage is there. What isn't is how the dbs are playing the ball/receiver. CCH stated this in the pressor. Hopefully this improves with experience.
Gman84 thank you ! OK, I fully admit that I may be mixing my terminology but the point remains we are susceptible. Yes, that is a better way to say it sir!

Others probably said it better. I just know I get worried when the ball goes deep from the opponent. You are right, on the CSU throws we are there but either they just catch it anyway - those two TD catches were great by them ... or we get penalized for not turning around... three times in just one game. I was simplifying. I mean CCH is mentioning it too in our presser. basically an opponent can send 8 balls downfield and catch 2 or 3 and get a defensive PI on 2... that's 5 "explosive plays" on 8 attempts. And we haven't seen the better SoCon foes yet.

The hope is we improve by then !! At least I want to beat some rivals - Citadel and Woff. GoFurman !!

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman v Stetson

by Bootie

Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:55 pm

User avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by Flagman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:51 pm

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:41 pm

User avatar QUESTION FOR DAN

by FU Hoopla

Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:21 pm

Default Avatar Napier

by silentbob

Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:06 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.