• Charleston south. Scout

#90144  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:20 am
I went back and watched the condensed version of the Citadel/CSU game and the thing that stood out to me was that CSU brought the heat on 3rd down. I can only remember 1 time where they weren't bringing a lot of pressure and that was on a 3rd and 19. Defense was offsides so on the next play, 3rd and 14, they brought the house. The types of pressure they were bringing seemed different this year as well. Felt like they were bringing corners, safeties, and LBs from a lot of places.

Not sure if that was a Citadel thing or if they are going to be more aggressive on defense this year. Quickly skimmed the Lindenwood and GWU games highlights from last year and they didn't blitz as much on 3rd down as they did in the Citadel game. Something to watch. Wouldn't surprise me with a lot of new starters on OL and a new QB. Because of that, I think Furman is going to have chances to take some shots downfield. Got to convert a few of them. I thought the CSU defense looked faster this year compared to their games from last year.

The CSU OL did ok against Citadel, but I think that might be a place Furman can win with Jackson, Stephans, and Clark. We'll see.

I think it probably got lost in all that stuff I posted earlier, but CSU's QB had his career best day against the citadel. If you look at his stats at Sacred Heart, he never had anything close to what he did against citadel. Will he keep that up or will there be some regression to the mean? Certainly he has better players around him now, and thought the playcalling looked like it was set up for him to make 1 to 2 reads on a half field or RPOs where he read the run and then had 1, maybe 2, WR reads but I could be wrong on that.
 #90145  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:59 am
One thing I was hoping to see with Jones at QB was the use of a more robust screen game. We ran several screens against Ole Miss both to the backs as well as the receivers. I think that is going to slow down teams trying to blitz us to death.
FUATT liked this
 #90146  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:08 am
Went back and watched the condensed game. The boys fought hard, just struggled with their dudes.

I stopped the video at 4:39. There's a bit where #57, the Ole Miss RT, get out and starts running downfield. You see him in space next to Xavier Stephens. Stephens is listed at 6'3 300 lbs and looks like #57's little brother.

#90148  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:11 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:59 am
One thing I was hoping to see with Jones at QB was the use of a more robust screen game. We ran several screens against Ole Miss both to the backs as well as the receivers. I think that is going to slow down teams trying to blitz us to death.
Good point. I meant to mention that I thought we’d have a chance to hit a few screens this game if they keep that pressure up. Pretty sure citadel hit a bigger one against them on a 3rd down blitz.
 #90151  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:08 am
Went back and watched the condensed game. The boys fought hard, just struggled with their dudes.

I stopped the video at 4:39. There's a bit where #57, the Ole Miss RT, get out and starts running downfield. You see him in space next to Xavier Stephens. Stephens is listed at 6'3 300 lbs and looks like #57's little brother.

Micah Pettus
Class: Junior
Position: OL
Ht./Wt.: 6-7 / 350
 #90158  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:36 am
That looks about right.
FUBeAR played at 6-7 350 … on the inside.
 #90161  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:30 pm
Was thinking today that when I go to the game Saturday I am going to need a roster for the first time in 2 years. Last year pretty much knew all the names and numbers for the 2 deep on both sides of the ball. This year I might know the numbers and names of 5-6 players and that might be pushing it. Of course that will change as the year unfolds. Just feels odd. What a difference a year makes. At least we have a 2 deep this week.

Where is the two deep ??? Mine still says Ole Miss when I go to Furmanpaladins.com / sports / football / schedule … and then “more +” and mine still lists the Furman v Ole Miss game notes ??????
GF click on game notes and scroll down to you see the 2 deep.
 #90185  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:27 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:20 am
I went back and watched the condensed version of the Citadel/CSU game and the thing that stood out to me was that CSU brought the heat on 3rd down. I can only remember 1 time where they weren't bringing a lot of pressure and that was on a 3rd and 19. Defense was offsides so on the next play, 3rd and 14, they brought the house. The types of pressure they were bringing seemed different this year as well. Felt like they were bringing corners, safeties, and LBs from a lot of places.

Not sure if that was a Citadel thing or if they are going to be more aggressive on defense this year. Quickly skimmed the Lindenwood and GWU games highlights from last year and they didn't blitz as much on 3rd down as they did in the Citadel game. Something to watch. Wouldn't surprise me with a lot of new starters on OL and a new QB. Because of that, I think Furman is going to have chances to take some shots downfield. Got to convert a few of them. I thought the CSU defense looked faster this year compared to their games from last year.

The CSU OL did ok against Citadel, but I think that might be a place Furman can win with Jackson, Stephans, and Clark. We'll see.

I think it probably got lost in all that stuff I posted earlier, but CSU's QB had his career best day against the citadel. If you look at his stats at Sacred Heart, he never had anything close to what he did against citadel. Will he keep that up or will there be some regression to the mean? Certainly he has better players around him now, and thought the playcalling looked like it was set up for him to make 1 to 2 reads on a half field or RPOs where he read the run and then had 1, maybe 2, WR reads but I could be wrong on that.
Screen passes man. I suspect they bring blitz v a team with a new OL and QB. Screeen passes. Make us prove we can beat an overloaded box and blitzes. I would. I think we could move the ball with quick passes to the outside to serve as run plays outside the box. Citadel had a lot of success with these

Agree I really hope we can shut down runs and get some QB pressure.
 #90186  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:35 am
Last year, we did not see much in terms of a screen game with the running backs. Most of our screens were inside tunnel screens to the WRs.

I think with Jones we will see a lot more in the way of a screen game. On the first drive of the game, I believe (the 1:40 mark of the condensed game), Furman ran a traditional halfback screen out of a trips formation.

We have a few shifty receivers and apparently quite a few running backs that can catch the ball. We saw a few screens against Ole Miss with some success. I'll be interested to see how those plays do against FCS competition.
gofurman liked this
 #90187  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:21 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:35 am
Last year, we did not see much in terms of a screen game with the running backs. Most of our screens were inside tunnel screens to the WRs.

I think with Jones we will see a lot more in the way of a screen game. On the first drive of the game, I believe (the 1:40 mark of the condensed game), Furman ran a traditional halfback screen out of a trips formation.

We have a few shifty receivers and apparently quite a few running backs that can catch the ball. We saw a few screens against Ole Miss with some success. I'll be interested to see how those plays do against FCS competition.

agree - not that I know or understand ... LOL. But I mean outside typical screens v a team that appears to bring blitzes on the QB and leave one one one outside.
Not really a fan of tunnel screens as they appear to funnel the receiver back towards the defense. Maybe someone can explain the tunnel screen theory to me? Are you assuming that the LBs have blitzed or vacated and, after the catch, going for that area of the field? I just seem to see low success with the tunnel screen - on any team, not just ours
 #90190  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:46 am
The general idea behind any screen is that you are trying to exploit the soft spot behind the hard rush on the QB and a second level that is dropping back to cover the pass. They are comparatively safe passes and if a defense isn't disciplined can but them in the unenviable situation where the offensive line is between their defensive front and the defensive backfield with the ball carrier behind them.

Just watching the first half, Furman appeared to hit a halfback screen to Robinson (1:40), they attempted a tunnel screen to Hinton (3:14), they attempted another one (6:08) and then maybe a delayed TE screen to Burrell (6:50).

While it may seem odd to run back into the defense, the tunnel screen is designed to exploit it. We didn't do a great job blocking them, but it felt at times like Ole Miss had 12 defenders on the field. If the defensive ends are crashing hard and the linebackers are dropping, then the most space on the field is probably in the middle.

It's pretty clear that Furman is going to try to get Colton Hinton the ball on these types of plays. He's quick, catches everything, and is incredibly elusive once he has the ball. If he can get in behind his offensive linemen downfield, defenses may have a tough time tackling him.

When Furman screened Hinton, they seemed to line him up at the split end so he'd get locked on a corner, and then use Burrell, the big athletic TE, to block the corner and switch Hinton over to whomever the defense had inside (safety or linebacker). Furman is typically going to take a Hinton-on-linebacker/safety matchup.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:22 am

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:17 am

Default Avatar Furman v Stetson

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:16 am

Default Avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:07 am

Default Avatar Injuries

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:30 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.