• FURMAN AT OLE MISS-WE HAVE A CHANCE

#89688  by FUTex
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:54 pm
October 16, 1982. Furman 28 South Carolina 23. Exactly 41 years, 10 months, and 15 days ago from this Saturday. A coincidence? I don't think so. How could that just so happen to be exactly 41 years, 10 months and 15 days ago and somehow be just a coincidence? Gimme a break. (That was the greatest football game ever played. FUBear played in that game. He is an uncontrollable monster, well almost 42 years ago he was. Therefore, we indeed stand far more than just "a chance".)

When Slim Pickens piloted a B52 at the Russkies he stood a chance. When Lloyd Christmas courted Mary Swanson he stood a chance. We, in our turn, stand a chance. A darn good one, I might add.
FUBeAR, MNORM liked this
 #89689  by gofurman
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:03 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:12 am
Game notes for Ole Miss: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/side ... _Notes.pdf

For the first time that I can recall, it does not include a depth chart.
I spoke with Hunter about the season, and this came up. It turns out Ole Miss is not posting a depth chart until Saturday. SO, why should Furman??????
BECUASE IT REWARDS Players for earning a starting position. They earn that. We should do that. Also adds to the fan experience and knowledge in general - I admit my interest is moderately less without a depth chart I must admit. With all the new faces switching in and out it would be nice instead of looking on a 1-99 roster .. harder to track injuris etc. If there was no value why would they have been posting it all these years? Because people like having one.

I SURE HOPE THEY HAVE ONE BY WEEK TWO. this is very disappointing. I know players that have told me they like to see their name listed as the starter... mainly they just say they like to be the starter, but a few have mentioned wanting to be listed and named. Mainly them skill guys like the credit :D ... but yes, it helps fans like me - I see that "oh, X is now backing up both the guard and tackle position". Which I may fully admit I could miss during the game if it is only for a few plays. And I want to know that as I like to be more informed about our team. In this case I would now know X player is maturing at 2 positions and getting cross-trained... or someone like a starting DB who backs up in a spur or something.. hard to pick up - at least for my old brain - without a depth chart

And if someone thinks hiding a depth chart is going to help vs Ole Miss you are well, mistaken ... :D
Last edited by gofurman on Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #89690  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:13 pm
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 945644007/

FWIW - We saw Wells in the South Carolina game before he transferred to Ole Miss.

Tonight at 7 ET/6 CT we are livestreaming with @BradLoganCOTE
the star of the Pat McAfee show
We are going to talk Furman, Ole Miss in 2024 and Week 1 lines
We are streaming on Youtube, Twitter and Twitch
https://x.com/LockedOnOM/status/1828439333172322685

Ole Miss - LockedOn Podcast Preview - lengthy breakdown
"Can we run the ball when they know we are going to run the football"
https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/foot ... j69qd7mrqw
 #89691  by gofurman
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:29 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:13 pm
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 945644007/

FWIW - We saw Wells in the South Carolina game before he transferred to Ole Miss.

Tonight at 7 ET/6 CT we are livestreaming with @BradLoganCOTE
the star of the Pat McAfee show
We are going to talk Furman, Ole Miss in 2024 and Week 1 lines
We are streaming on Youtube, Twitter and Twitch
https://x.com/LockedOnOM/status/1828439333172322685

Ole Miss - LockedOn Podcast Preview - lengthy breakdown
"Can we run the ball when they know we are going to run the football"
https://www.si.com/college/olemiss/foot ... j69qd7mrqw
Wells only had one catch v us (it was mainly Legette that just KILLED us) but Wells is a huge talent for sure.
 #89693  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:52 pm
FUTex wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:54 pm
October 16, 1982. Furman 28 South Carolina 23. Exactly 41 years, 10 months, and 15 days ago from this Saturday. A coincidence? I don't think so. How could that just so happen to be exactly 41 years, 10 months and 15 days ago and somehow be just a coincidence? Gimme a break. (That was the greatest football game ever played. FUBear played in that game. He is an uncontrollable monster, well almost 42 years ago he was. Therefore, we indeed stand far more than just "a chance".)

When Slim Pickens piloted a B52 at the Russkies he stood a chance. When Lloyd Christmas courted Mary Swanson he stood a chance. We, in our turn, stand a chance. A darn good one, I might add.
To no one’s surprise, as always, Tex trades in TRUTH.

As long as we have “stalwart line play,” we always have a chance to show these SEC-come-lately’s a thing or three about the game of Football.
They couldn’t whoop us in 1924.

Then, they chickened out and left the SoCon in 1932 to get ahead of us comin’ in to whoop ‘em on the regular beginning in 1936.

After the unpleasantness of 1865, those Mississippians have learned much better when to pick their battles.

If the mojo is right, it will be a Paladin (K)night!!
Bootie liked this
 #89696  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Hard to post a depth chart when you don’t have any depth :lol: :lol: but really will ole miss even look at our depth chart? Very doubtful. There is no film on 80% of our players anywy as they have yet to play. Us fans would like to know and like I said ole miss couldn’t care less about our depth chart.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #89699  by Thorny
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:32 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:28 am
Lots of game tickets for sale on their message boards.
:D
Now I hope they choke some SEC games away. Dam funny but rude too
I thought it was funny. Certainly an improvement on those all too common what is a "Furman" posts.

/I hope the good guys play well but I can't blame Ole Miss's fans for being a bit uninterested.
FUBeAR liked this
 #89700  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:58 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:03 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:04 am
The Jackal wrote:

I spoke with Hunter about the season, and this came up. It turns out Ole Miss is not posting a depth chart until Saturday. SO, why should Furman??????
BECUASE IT REWARDS Players for earning a starting position. They earn that. We should do that. Also adds to the fan experience and knowledge in general - I admit my interest is moderately less without a depth chart I must admit. With all the new faces switching in and out it would be nice instead of looking on a 1-99 roster .. harder to track injuris etc. If there was no value why would they have been posting it all these years? Because people like having one.

I SURE HOPE THEY HAVE ONE BY WEEK TWO. this is very disappointing. I know players that have told me they like to see their name listed as the starter... mainly they just say they like to be the starter, but a few have mentioned wanting to be listed and named. Mainly them skill guys like the credit :D ... but yes, it helps fans like me - I see that "oh, X is now backing up both the guard and tackle position". Which I may fully admit I could miss during the game if it is only for a few plays. And I want to know that as I like to be more informed about our team. In this case I would now know X player is maturing at 2 positions and getting cross-trained... or someone like a starting DB who backs up in a spur or something.. hard to pick up - at least for my old brain - without a depth chart

And if someone thinks hiding a depth chart is going to help vs Ole Miss you are well, mistaken ... :D
Totaly agree GF. FU not posting a depth chart will have zero to do with the outcome, just makes us fans mad, lol.
 #89702  by AllTimeFU
 Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:20 am
Fun facts:

Isaac Ward and Jaxson Dart were on the roster together at USC

Carson Jones played Walter Nolen in high school

Furman played against “Juice” Wells at South Carolina last year
 #89703  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:40 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:20 am
Fun facts:

Isaac Ward and Jaxson Dart were on the roster together at USC

Carson Jones played [against Ole Miss Lombardi Trophy Candidate, DLman, Walter Nolen,] in high school

Furman played against “Juice” Wells at South Carolina last year
… and Jones whipped Nolen like he was a red-headed stepchild!

https://www.knoxnews.com/videos/sports ... 613052001/
 #89704  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:01 am
I don't know much about Ole Miss.

Being from the dead center of "SEC Country," I usually view Ole Miss like I view South Carolina -- big hat, no cattle. Every year they seem like a dark horse in the SEC preseason, but never seem to live up to the billing.

Hendrix, in prior interviews, seemed comfortable that Furman can prepare for their uptempo offense. We see Samford every season, who moves about as fast as any team in college football, and tend to handle their pace well. Ole Miss is going to be a bit like Samford - trying to snap the ball within 10 or 15 seconds of it being spotted.

While I think we will be ready for their tempo schematically, it'll put a strain on our depth the first week of the season. Game speed is different from practice speed, it'll be hot, and they have more bodies than we do.

They appear to have some injuries to a number of their receivers, which may mitigate that depth advantage some. Seems the common thinking is we'll see a lot of their running backs.

The QB is good. The OL is going to be big.

In games like this, I always say the same thing - Furman has to avoid giving up the big plays and force Ole Miss to methodically work down the field. We cannot have turnovers. We cannot have silly penalties. They will try to run us to death early and land haymakers, we have to be ready for it. Force the pace of the game to slow down. Offense needs to try and keep possession. Don't give up big plays before the half. Keep things within reach to the fourth quarter and see what happens.
din23 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:39 pm

User avatar Expanding the SoCon

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:24 pm

Default Avatar Uh Oh

by Roundball

Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:29 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:48 pm

User avatar The State of Furman Football

by apaladin

Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:51 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.