• Welcome to Oxford

#89661  by gofurman
 Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:59 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:29 pm
Be gentle….
Yes. This one is just too much. Furman has a VERY proud history as an FCS program - we have beaten the likes of Georgia Tech, NC State (twice in a row - so they stole our coach), UNC (we won TWENTY EIGHT TO THREE ! they hardly scored !), South Carolina etc. But more importantly we have played for the FCS National title 3 times and won it once ! (Like South Dakota and North Dakota recently).

However, you guys have an historic team this year .. and that SEC DEPTH. You can just run OL and DL in and out to where we basically have 1 or 2 guys playing against your 3 or 4 guys at each position. And in the HEAT too. Mercer was an FCS playoff team (though we beat them) and you all ROUTED them 73 - 7 last year I think.

Kiffin just has you all at a different level now. Playing for the CFP and maybe more. Not to shame my own state but we would hang longer with South Carolina.. as we have at times in the past. They don't have Jaxson Dart and 5 NFL receivers :o . I think I saw a spread of 42. I told someone take Ole Miss REGARDLESS. That said, I saw Kiffin said because of a few ky WR injuries he might run a little more and we may too just to waste clock. We have a great coach and staff but this is probably just too much.

I wish you all the best this season. I will say Ole Miss by 47. Not sure why. You beat Mercer by 63. We are VERY VERY Young this year. Ranked top 20 /15 in FCS but really young - new QB, not a ton of starts on OL. Very young in the defensive backfield :? :? :? - oh man, that could kill us vs you all.

But I REALLY RESPECT you coming here as most Ole Miss fans will just say "Who's Furman". I give you big credit sir ! Thank you for the show of class !!
 #89663  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:38 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:59 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:29 pm
Be gentle….
most Ole Miss fans will just say "Who's Furman".
Nah - Ole Miss is different that the typical SEC Gi-nor-mous school.

Actually has more of a private school vibe on campus. When FUBeAR went for Little Miss FUBeAR’s Orientation, all of the Faculty/Admin peeps on the stage gave out their cell phone numbers and told parents to call them if they had any concerns.

Sure, they prolly have some arrogant Football Fans somewhere, but FUBeAR never met any.

Even saw an intelligent, humorous X thread today where they were riffing on Finland and a Paladin Alum representing the UnaBomber (FUBeAaR didn’t know that) … Will post it / some of it…

#89664  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:39 pm

#89665  by Harbinger
 Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:57 pm
My son and I are driving over Friday. Hope to watch some of the Saturday games at a nice sports bar but if too crowded will just watch at the motel. I haven't kept up with the off season incomers, transfers, and veteran expectations so at this point I'm just hoping we're reasonably competitive. This is my 11th year following FU starting from when my son entered as a freshman in 2014. I never thought I would defer to an FCS game on a Saturday PM when I could be watching SEC or ACC on TV at home but there I am ensconced in my seat right below the broadcast booth during home games and settled in in front of computer monitor tuned into ESPN+ for away games! Go Paladins!
 #89668  by FUTex
 Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:41 pm
Those are good -uns from the Ol' Miss fans, except the dog doo-doo one. Stale.

Judy Clarke, Furman '74, is a well-admired defense attorney. She represented the Unabomber and several other truly horrible people. In short, if you've done something really really bad and your guilt is beyond doubt, and you're so crazy you'd rather spend your life in prison than be executed, you Better Call Judy.

Ole Miss needs to know that Judy Clarke isn't our only tie to grim fame. Napalm was invented by a Furman grad. Blaming the Appalachian Trail for illicit affairs was invented by a Furman grad. Furman was the first university in America to ban alcohol from Poteat Hall. And let's not forget that attaching lasers to sharks to kill Austin Powers would not have been possible without Charles Townes, '35. We're a factory of horror.

The reason the Ol' Miss fans cited the Unabomber defense attorney is they killed our possum.
FUBeAR, Roundball, MNORM and 2 others liked this
 #89671  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:37 am
FUBeAR liked the “because who cares” spiciness of the ‘dog poop’ X-post and the fact that the poster claimed to be actively, intentionally misinforming other Ole Miss fans. There’s some subtlety there and even notes of self-own in the finish of that effort.

Take another sip, Tex.
 #89675  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:30 am
For those that might be going to the game, does the Ole Miss fan have some food recommendations for Friday night and Saturday morning to partake in the Gameday atmosphere?
 #89681  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:26 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:30 am
For those that might be going to the game, does the Ole Miss fan have some food recommendations for Friday night and Saturday morning to partake in the Gameday atmosphere?
Not “the Ole Miss fan,” but FUBeAR has previously partaken in Oxford…

1) Are y’all SERIOUSLY not planning to tailgate in The Grove? That’s like going to Pisa and not seeing the Leaning Tower or Jerusalem and skipping the Wailing Wall or Marietta, GA and eschewing The Big Chicken - y’all gotta tailgate in The Grove. It’s pure Communism if you don’t!

2) Big Bad Breakfast or First Watch for breakfast…in that order of preference...if you can manage to get in either. They stay PACKED on Football Weekends and they haven’t reached the point that ‘nobody goes there anymore because it’s too crowded.’

3) There are many choices on The Square in Oxford. FUBeAR likes Cajun / Creole, so he likes Boure. Boure and Big Bad Breakfast are both part of the City Grocery Restaurant Group -> https://citygroceryonline.com/restaurants/boure/
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #89683  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:21 am
No communism here. Will be in The Grove. Looking for options prior to making the Paladin presence known in The Grove.
FUBeAR liked this
 #89684  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:10 pm
Sitting here with my 90 year at McCall Hospice reading the posts. You guys are making me laugh. Thank you!
 #89692  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:42 pm
Recommendations from my Oxford friends:

- Ajax
- Blind Pig
- Big Bad Breakfast, but gotta be there early
- Bottle Tree Bakery - grab and go
- Rafters
- Round Table
- Roosters Blues - cool dinner on the square
 #89694  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:56 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:42 pm
Recommendations from my Oxford friends:

- Ajax
- Blind Pig
- Big Bad Breakfast, but gotta be there early
- Bottle Tree Bakery - grab and go
- Rafters
- Round Table
- Roosters Blues - cool dinner on the square
Confirming Ajax & Rooster Blues - yep & yep. Already mentioned BBB … you won’t get in though. You won't be there early enough. You won’t. Don’t kid yourself. You just won’t.
 #89695  by tim
 Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:17 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:10 pm
Sitting here with my 90 year at McCall Hospice reading the posts. You guys are making me laugh. Thank you!
Prayers
dornb, Roundball liked this
 #89721  by SidBreamScores
 Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:36 pm
Last week I went to Ajax on the square for the first time. Southern comfort food. Big portions. It was good.

Also, it appears they encourage diners to shoot their giant sandwich toothpicks into the ceiling in the back room. Pro tip: wear eye protection.

Recent Topics

User avatar Expanding the SoCon

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:24 pm

Default Avatar Uh Oh

by Roundball

Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:29 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:48 pm

User avatar The State of Furman Football

by apaladin

Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:51 pm

User avatar QUESTION FOR DAN

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:36 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.