• QUARTERBACK PREVIEW

#89617  by youwouldno
 Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:39 pm
Roper has an extensive history of dual-QB use. If one clearly separates they can always revisit, and in Hedden's case there are 4 games played before having to burn the redshirt.
 #89621  by gofurman
 Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:53 pm
FUATT wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:53 am
I think this is going to be a really close call. Nehuel has shown he is a guy we could put in a game, but I think it really is about the other two. I think its going to be hard to go with Trey unless he really distances himself from Carson, but no question Trey has the ability to make some throws that no one else can.
I love the idea of not relying on a true freshman.

My guess:

- Jones is the guy.
- We will dress out all three.
- If Hedden is the technical #2, he'll stay on the sidelines in an effort to redshirt him unless and until Jones has an extended absence for some reason. If the season is on the line, I think you forget the redshirt and move on.
- Regardless of where Garcia is on the depth chart, we will probably still see him as the technical #2 in relief/mop up duty.
- I'm inclined to think we won't see Hedden in the game early in the season in an effort to push the "four game" redshirt plan as late into the season as possible.
Several points throughout the thread

We have the two sides always in these threads on positional players - one who loves experience (me etc) and others who are ready for younger guys to get their chance. Yet here we see most people agree that at the QB spot, experience is even more valuable. most don’t want a true freshman QB. snap counts are missed. Fumbles from center. Audibles are not seen that could allow for an easy 5 yard gain. Etc etc. More interceptions thrown into disguised coverage that a junior would have known. True freshman scare me at QB.

I also agree I would hate for one of top two QBs to transfer if - say it’s Hedden - thinks he will sit for three years. Not sure the solution there. Kids just don’t wait these days. And transferring is so easy now. I don’t know the solution other than redshirt and tell him it’s his for Junior and Senior years.
FUATT liked this
 #89622  by FUATT
 Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:59 am
FUATT wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:26 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:19 pm
I agree that CJ has the edge, but it says something about the quality of all 3 that it is going down to the last week. CCH will tell you we have never had this much high quality depth at QB.
Hedden has an NFL arm. One of our coaches told me that he hasn’t seen an arm like this in the FCS since Flacco.
Again- props to our staff on their recruiting. The lack of experience dead horse has been beaten to death- but from a standpoint of quantity and quality of talent across the board, this may be the best team in 20 plus years.
This. Hedden is making this hard because he is the real deal. He is not going to redshirt, he's going to play. He has a borderline P5 arm and is a great get for Furman if he plays within Roper's offense.
If he's the guy, and they aren't going to redshirt him, then he just needs to be the guy.
He has all the ability, just has to play within the system, take what the offense gives you and not try to use the big arm to force stuff that is not there. If he plays within the offense he will be great. Its a maturity thing. He's young.

I contend he is too good to redshirt. If you shirt him he'll probably portal out. But we will see.
 #89626  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:52 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUATT wrote:
I think this is going to be a really close call. Nehuel has shown he is a guy we could put in a game, but I think it really is about the other two. I think its going to be hard to go with Trey unless he really distances himself from Carson, but no question Trey has the ability to make some throws that no one else can.

My guess:

- Jones is the guy.
- If Hedden is the technical #2, he'll stay on the sidelines in an effort to redshirt him unless and until Jones has an extended absence for some reason. If the season is on the line, I think you forget the redshirt and move on.
- Regardless of where Garcia is on the depth chart, we will probably still see him as the technical #2 in relief/mop up duty.
- I'm inclined to think we won't see Hedden in the game early in the season in an effort to push the "four game" redshirt plan as late into the season as possible.

We have the two sides always in these threads on positional players - one who loves experience (me etc) and others who are ready for younger guys to get their chance. Yet here we see most people agree that at the QB spot, experience is even more valuable. most don’t want a true freshman QB. snap counts are missed. Fumbles from center. Audibles are not seen that could allow for an easy 5 yard gain. Etc etc. More interceptions thrown into disguised coverage that a junior would have known. True freshman scare me at QB.

I also agree I would hate for one of top two QBs to transfer if - say it’s Hedden - thinks he will sit for three years. Not sure the solution there. Kids just don’t wait these days. And transferring is so easy now. I don’t know the solution other than redshirt and tell him it’s his for Junior and Senior years.

I am sure the coaches will make the right call.

Hedden, I assume, brings a lot of "intangibles" that might mitigate the experience gap. He's got a lot of size, can run, and apparently has a big arm. He enrolled at Furman midyear, so he's already gotten the benefit of two pre-season practice sessions, weight room, etc.

Honestly, Hedden is probably the closest comp on the roster to Matthew Sluka, the all-everything QB that played under Roper at Holy Cross. I think Roper will have a more talent in terms of backs and receivers at Furman than he had at HC, so Furman's offense under Hedden could truly be dangerous.

Obviously, the first name that has to come to mind when talking about a 6'3 230+ Furman QB that can throw and run has to be #15. If he's that good, we're in for a treat.
FUBeAR liked this
 #89628  by cavedweller2
 Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:21 am
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:39 pm
Roper has an extensive history of dual-QB use. If one clearly separates they can always revisit, and in Hedden's case there are 4 games played before having to burn the redshirt.
Isnt it true that playoff games do not count against the redshirt?
 #89630  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:06 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUATT wrote:

My guess:

- Jones is the guy.

GF- I am sure that CJ will be QB1 to start the season. With that said let’s hope the CJ that looked like Dan Marino against VMI shows up and not the one that looked like me against WC. There were many missed reads/throws against WC. I do look forward to seeing Hedden play.
 #89643  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:06 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUATT wrote:

My guess:

- Jones is the guy.

GF- I am sure that CJ will be QB1 to start the season. With that said let’s hope the CJ that looked like Dan Marino against VMI shows up and not the one that looked like me against WC. There were many missed reads/throws against WC. I do look forward to seeing Hedden play.
It’s MMMMUUUUCCCCHHH easier to look like Dan Marino when your OL is dominating and your receivers are getting easy separation. Our whole team was far superior to VMI vs when we played wofford we couldn’t get much OL push and they didn’t respect the throwing capability. Woff jammed our LOS if I recall. I think. If my old memory serves. Just daring us to make some decent completions. I think vs VMI we had strong runs so everything opens up at that point. That’s my memory. Feel free to correct me.

My point is every QB looks like an NFL qb when the run game is working and the TEAM AND LOS are winning. Maybe FUBeAR and HBK will suit back up 😀
apaladin, FUBeAR liked this
 #89716  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:12 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:02 pm
I will drag the FUBeAR with me!!!
 #89731  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:08 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:02 pm
I am ready to go and I will drag the FUBeAR with me!!!
Get em HBK !!! Steal a uniform and sneak in. Hendrix is smart - he will look the other way to get your talent. . And yes. Use your great powers of persuasion to get FUBeAR out there :D

I give you all huge credit for 82 USC etc - the game is won in the trenches !!! Three letters. LOS

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Stetson and Furman

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:27 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:14 am

User avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:13 am

User avatar Expanding the SoCon

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 3:12 am

User avatar CSU game.

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:15 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.