• SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

#88250  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:35 am
gman84 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:32 am
AP, Furman is not sitting on their hands in regards to future games. Furman does not announce anything until all the i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed. You know this. All the programs you mentioned that are traveling great distances are not private schools. And, as I have mentioned before…they are doing this to keep you sleepless at night. 😉
I believe the last time Furman did not play an FBS team was 2005.

Of course, we were one Ingle Martin slip on the ice from playing for the national title that year.

So, odds are pretty high Furman will play an FBS team in whatever year is concerning everyone considering they have consistently done so every season for the last 20 years.
 #88254  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:47 am
True and you are correct 2005 was the last time with no FBS game. A little concerning is JD has yet to scheduke one in his 5 years here. He has stated “a wait and see position” on scheduling but no one else is waiting.
 #88275  by gofurman
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:09 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:32 am
Skylight Inn in Ayden and Wilber’s in Goldsboro are really good. Anything west of Raleigh must be considered suspect.
Bullocks in Durham. Pretty good. Mainly AMAZIN WHO HAS EATEN THERE. how bout this for just from my old memory. Lucille Ball. Biden. Catfish Hunter. Connie Chung. Roy Williams. Laettner used to borrow quarters to get a paper from my uncle there. Joe Theisman (bbq guy as he has stopped at SC places too ?). Freakin ELVIS !!!

I can’t even begin to name all the people. And especially Duke and UNC peeps.

But ELVIS. that’s the trump card
apaladin liked this
 #88326  by Affirm
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:33 pm
In the current thread about SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES, 5 days have passed and 10 posts have appeared since there has been any mention of Emerson College and it's comparison with Furman. Emerson has been getting a lot more negative press, including today in The Chronicle. There have been controversial events relating to pro-Palestinian protests and anti-Palestinian protests and administration response and students being viewed as overly anti-Israeli. Others, higher education experts with no connection to Emerson, seem to think that the problem is actually that the school has gotten too costly in a geographic area makes it harder for Emerson to attract the students for the type of education that it provides. Emerson's average cost after grants per student is quoted as $51,000. By comparison, "an article about an article in Money" highlighted Money's rankings of colleges in SC, it was stated that Furman's average cost after grants per student is $33,500 per year, the highest in SC. (By the way, that same "article about and article in Money", has Wofford at $31,000 average cost per year per student after grants. And also by the way, Citadel shows up as #1 in Money's rankings in the article, with the description also stating that Citadel accepts 99% of applicants.)
 #88340  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:02 am
I don’t see any comparison with Emerson and Furman except both are private colleges.
 #88344  by Affirm
 Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:55 am
apaladin wrote:
I don’t see any comparison with Emerson and Furman except both are private colleges.
To get help knowing what how the 2 schools compare, you may wish to review 7:07 PM June 19th post by FUBeAR. It was he who said they are non dissimilar. I think the things I have pointed out do show at least as much dissimilarity as similarity. Not throwing any shade against FUBeAR, but just saying that’s where this comparison started. My latest post shows some of the additional differences including cost of attendance (Furman is lower), and the level of activity relating to the Israeli-Palestinian situation (none has been reported at Furman), and the act that we have a university president and administration who have not been attracted on a wide basis
 #88347  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:08 am
Affirm wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:55 am
apaladin wrote:
To get help knowing what how the 2 schools compare, you may wish to review 7:07 PM June 19th post by FUBeAR.

It was he who said they are non dissimilar.

I think the things I have pointed out do show at least as much dissimilarity as similarity.

Not throwing any shade against FUBeAR, but just saying that’s where this comparison started. My latest post shows some of the additional differences including cost of attendance (Furman is lower) [Tuition @ Furman is 5.6% higher than Emerson (see below) - FUBeAR note], and the level of activity relating to the Israeli-Palestinian situation (none has been reported at Furman), and the act that we have a university president and administration who have not been attracted on a wide basis
* “…not highly dissimilar” - FUBeAR

Perhaps you two need to review and provide your personal definitions of “not highly dissimilar” vs. “exactly the same”

Emerson vs. Furman (bold = exact match - 15 of those, with about 15 other criteria categories highly similar…all 30 or so (of about 50 criteria) of which that can be accurately characterized as “not highly dissimilar”)

Overview
Emerson Furman
Location Boston, MA Greenville, SC
Setting Large City Large Suburban
Enrollment 5,891 2,443
Type Private 4 Year Private 4 Year
National Ranking #235 #102
Religious Affiliation - - - -
Status Non-profit Non-profit

Costs
Emerson Furman

Tuition $52,288 $55,392
Room & Board $19,528 $15,148
Avg Net Price $51,432 $33,370
Avg Grant Aid $24,360 $36,384
% Receiving Grant Aid 78% 100%

Admission
Emerson Furman

Applied 12,109 7,514
Admitted 5,176 5,036
Acceptance Rate 42.7% 67%
Enrolled % 19.4% 12.8%
Avg High School GPA 3.73 3.61
Typical High School Grades A- B+
Admissions Standards Very High Very High
Applicant Competition Low Low

ACT Range 30/32 27/32
SAT Range 1250/1430 1260/1455

Academics
Emerson Furman

Student to Faculty Ratio 15:1 9:1
Popular Majors
Emerson - Communication (33%), Visual and Performing Arts (29%), English and Literature (19%), Business (14%), Health Professions (2%)
Furman - Social Sciences (19%), Business (11%), Biology (8%), Visual and Performing Arts (7%), Recreation, Leisure and Fitness Studies (7%)

Outcomes
Emerson Furman

Graduation Rate 81% 87%
Median Earnings (After 10 years) $49,200 $54,300
Making Student Loan Payments 80% 82%
Median Student Loan Debt $23,500 $25,443
Median Loan Payment $242 $263

Diversity
Emerson Furman

% Men 28% 40%
% Women 72% 60%
Racial Diversity Medium Low
HBCU No No
% White 67% 78%
% Black 3% 5%
% Hispanic 11% 4%
% Native American 0% 0%
% Pacific Islander 0% 0%

% Two or More Races 4% 2%
% International 7% 6%
% Unknown Race 3% 2%

Students
Emerson Furman

% In-State 14% 37%
% Out-of-State 69% 60%

Campus
Emerson Furman

Campus Housing Yes Yes
Freshman Dorm Required No No
Meal Plan Yes Yes
Weekend/Evening Classes No No
Daycare Facility No No
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #88352  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:21 am
Affirm wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:33 pm
In the current thread about SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES, 5 days have passed and 10 posts have appeared since there has been any mention of Emerson College and it's comparison with Furman. Emerson has been getting a lot more negative press, including today in The Chronicle. There have been controversial events relating to pro-Palestinian protests and anti-Palestinian protests and administration response and students being viewed as overly anti-Israeli. Others, higher education experts with no connection to Emerson, seem to think that the problem is actually that the school has gotten too costly in a geographic area makes it harder for Emerson to attract the students for the type of education that it provides. Emerson's average cost after grants per student is quoted as $51,000. By comparison, "an article about an article in Money" highlighted Money's rankings of colleges in SC, it was stated that Furman's average cost after grants per student is $33,500 per year, the highest in SC. (By the way, that same "article about and article in Money", has Wofford at $31,000 average cost per year per student after grants. And also by the way, Citadel shows up as #1 in Money's rankings in the article, with the description also stating that Citadel accepts 99% of applicants.)
It is increasingly hard to sell the idea of spending an additional $33K/yr to go to a school with limited majors, limited facilities etc when you can just go to any of a dozen state schools for little or no money. I can’t honestly argue with kids I talk to.

But FU may be looking a gift horse in the mouth. Most people are sent places like FU by well to do parents. These people usually aren’t idiots. Lots of expensive colleges have been demonstrating lately that the additional tuition money is just used to turn valedictorians into morons. So parents may seek out less crazy options and Furman could put themselves out there as that place. But they need to stay out of the press for attacking speakers and stuff.
Davemeister liked this
 #88363  by Affirm
 Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:13 pm
May we be successful in avoiding the types of difficulties reported related to Emerson.
And, back to the topic, let's continue to have "pro games", if and as long as that is available for the purpose of helping us have the type of overall athletics program we presently want to have serving Furman's goals.
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:13 am

User avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by FU Hoopla

Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:10 am

Default Avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by Affirm

Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:07 am

Default Avatar 2025 Recruiting

by The Jackal

Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.