gofurman wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:54 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:44 am
Bandit
Clark 6-3 253
Maier 6-4 238
Schuck 6-3 230
Short 6-3 214 (became the first 6A Texas player to garner state all-star game invitations in both football and basketball)
The Bandit position looks to be in great shape, with two youngsters in the wings, getting PT and, in Short's case, increasing size/strength.

DE
J Jackson 6-0 265
Alabi 6-2 225 (should rotate with JJ)
Stoneking 6-3 252 (could contend for PT)
Dobbins 6-3 240 (impressive recruit, has the size to play now)
DE should be about the same as last year, I think Alabi and Stoneking are going to be fun to watch.

DT
Harrison 6-1 270 (my bet is Malachi is the starter)
Bussey 6-3 283 (moved from DE - will play a lot)
Kauserud 6-4 277 (early-enrollee played IMG prep, big motor guy)
Baldwin 6-1 268 (highly-recruited, first-team all-state)
DT, I trust DL coach Kevin Lewis, he's a helluva coach. Yes, this group is smaller overall, but it appears quicker and more mobile.

NG
X Stephens 6-3 292 (starter)
Dudek 6-4 277 (might be #2)
Hernández 6-4 307 (transfer from Army; we will need PT from Marc)
Knauber 6-1 295 (true freshman, highly recruited local product, my bet to be the freshman to get the most PT from this class)
NG, Stephens is an excellent NG; the question mark is depth and rotation. My guess Dudek will be #2, Hernández hopefully jumps into the rotation, the final piece is Bruce Knauber, maybe he gets a redshirt, I think he plays.
I see some of what others noted. I would like two or so to be heavier. A couple 300 lb boys in the middle of DL can really help stop a run game
Furman had an elite run defense last season, and the only 300 lbs defensive lineman on that roster is the same guy on this roster (Marc Hernandez, who has slimmed down a bit).

As I see it, the 2024 roster will be nearly as big - if not as big - up front as the '23 roster.

It's also worth remembering that our bandits, Clark and Maier, aren't small guys up front either.

One thing that made Furman's defense so good last year is the constant rotation of players up front. That the second and even third line guys were just as big and physical as the first line guys. I suspect Furman will attempt to execute a similar plan again this year.
 #88287  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm
Perusing the roster and chewing on some questions:

1. At running back, I'm guessing Jayquan Smith is the guy, if healthy. Hicks and Robinson both have a lot of reps. I know Furman likes to go 4 or 5 deep at running back, so it will be interesting to see who else gets some of the opportunities and when Smith may be ready to go.

2. I wonder if we'll see Bailor Hughes assume a bit of the Wayne Anderson-type slasher role. Hughes has gained some weight, and like Anderson, is a bit of a multi-tool RB and WR profile.

3. I know the offensive line is going to be a bit of a new crowd, but we're still going to be pretty big and experienced. Most of the guys I expect to see in the rotation are all 6'3/6'4 290+, which seems the typical frame for our get-out-and-run linemen. Some of these incoming freshmen are huge.

4. Interesting to see what we do at SPUR. Justin Hartwell has gained 10 lbs and seems likely to be heir apparent at that position. Furman the last few years frequently used Jalen Miller, a converted safety, and Cally Chizik, a CB to man the position. Maybe we'll see a nickel CB again.

5. I'm interested to see what they plan for Amaa Achina. With DiMaggio, Chideo, Herbert, and Earl, we've got some depth at ILB. Achina is a guy that played safety in high school, started at Furman as a SPUR, and now is listed as a linebacker. If he can stay in the lineup, maybe he's a guy we can use as a bit of a defensive swiss army knife.
 #88321  by gofurman
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:36 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm
Perusing the roster and chewing on some questions:

1. At running back, I'm guessing Jayquan Smith is the guy, if healthy. Hicks and Robinson both have a lot of reps. I know Furman likes to go 4 or 5 deep at running back, so it will be interesting to see who else gets some of the opportunities and when Smith may be ready to go.

2. I wonder if we'll see Bailor Hughes assume a bit of the Wayne Anderson-type slasher role. Hughes has gained some weight, and like Anderson, is a bit of a multi-tool RB and WR profile.

3. I know the offensive line is going to be a bit of a new crowd, but we're still going to be pretty big and experienced. Most of the guys I expect to see in the rotation are all 6'3/6'4 290+, which seems the typical frame for our get-out-and-run linemen. Some of these incoming freshmen are huge.

4. Interesting to see what we do at SPUR. Justin Hartwell has gained 10 lbs and seems likely to be heir apparent at that position. Furman the last few years frequently used Jalen Miller, a converted safety, and Cally Chizik, a CB to man the position. Maybe we'll see a nickel CB again.

5. I'm interested to see what they plan for Amaa Achina. With DiMaggio, Chideo, Herbert, and Earl, we've got some depth at ILB. Achina is a guy that played safety in high school, started at Furman as a SPUR, and now is listed as a linebacker. If he can stay in the lineup, maybe he's a guy we can use as a bit of a defensive swiss army knife.
A healthy SMith at RB would REALLY help I think. He looked like he might be a good one. I think his and Achina's health could be big and I wish them the best, especially since Achina was slated to be a starter or player for two years now
 #88322  by gofurman
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:38 pm
Can one of you super smart dudes list the probable order of OL (best 10 I guess). First and 2nd string at each position maybe. Hate we lost the super big guy (name escapes me but he was a starter and slated to be one of the few returners and then left or something
 #88324  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:14 pm
It would be great if Smith was back but due to the extent of the injury wasn’t there some doubt that he would be ready by this season? I could be wrong but think that was the case.
 #88335  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:42 pm
gofurman wrote:
Can one of you super smart dudes list the probable order of OL (best 10 I guess). First and 2nd string at each position maybe. Hate we lost the super big guy (name escapes me but he was a starter and slated to be one of the few returners and then left or something
Just my uneducated guess:

Center:

- Chris Luna. Luna seems to have a lot of fans. He was frequently dressed out with the road squad as a freshman. They didn't need him, but I think he's got a high ceiling.

- Ryan Lamb is a versatile interior OL who has played at OG and Center.

Guard

- I'm guessing EJ Wilson is probably the guy at RG. He was Johanning's backup last season and started in his absence. Has 27 games under his belt and is a redshirt senior.

- Luke Petit, if healthy, seems likely to be the one to reassume LG. He won that starting job last year.

- Steven O'Dell is a true freshman, but at 6'7 300, is a big hombre.

Tackle

- Blake Hundley is a mix and match guy at OG and OT. He was already on the two deep at RT last season.

- Eli Brasher. Already listed on the two deep at LT last season.
 #88336  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:42 pm
gofurman wrote:
Just my uneducated guess:

Center:
- Chris Luna. Luna seems to have a lot of fans. He was frequently dressed out with the road squad as a freshman. They didn't need him, but I think he's got a high ceiling.
- Ryan Lamb is a versatile interior OL who has played at OG and Center.

Guard
- I'm guessing EJ Wilson is probably the guy at RG. He was Johanning's backup last season and started in his absence. Has 27 games under his belt and is a redshirt senior.
- Luke Petit, if healthy, seems likely to be the one to reassume LG. He won that starting job last year.
- Steven O'Dell is a true freshman, but at 6'7 300, is a big hombre.

Tackle
- Blake Hundley is a mix and match guy at OG and OT. He was already on the two deep at RT last season.
- Eli Brasher. Already listed on the two deep at LT last season.
Watched Lamb, Wilson, Petit, Hundley, and Brasher fairly closely (at times) last season. All can play. They weren’t perfect, but they were good and will be a year better. That’s 5. If the other 2 are comparable…or comparable to where the others were last year, OL will be just fine.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPurple liked this
 #88337  by AllTimeFU
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:34 pm
We may have had an injury or two for the spring game. Did we learn anything at that?
 #88348  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:19 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:24 am
Luke Clark!
I think Furman has gotten a lot more creative with the Bandit position the last few seasons. Having both Clark and Maier back is a boon for the defense.

Early in Vaughn's tenure, we relied a bit more on the Bandit being essentially a pass rusher (think, Adrian Hope). Now, I think you see Furman use the position as basically a do-everything player that is big and strong enough to hold off blockers, can rush the passer, but also can drop into coverage and free up blitzers from other areas.

Perused a few videos from last year:

Bandit (Maier) bluffs the rush and then drops into coverage in what appears to either be a spy on the QB or in man coverage with the RB. The OT has to respect the outside rush, but the false step puts him in a position where he can't recover to help inside where our DT and NG just beat their guys.

Here, Clark just straight pass rushes, rips through the outside shoulder of the OT, and notches the sack. Tough on an OT who never really knows where that player is going off the snap.

Here, Clark picks up the RB out of the backfield in man coverage. Furman brings five, but the rush confuses the protection and no one picks up the MLB. Clark is running right with his man down the sideline and nearly picks off the pass.

#88349  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:22 am
Honestly, I know everyone seems to focus on who might return on the defensive interior, but I really think that having the two Bandits back might be the biggest thing for the defense. Those two guys are big, fast, and experienced players. They allow Furman to create all sorts of confusion for the offensive blocking schemes.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Long offseason

by Roundball

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:08 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:46 am

Default Avatar 2025 Recruiting

by gofurman

Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:08 am

Default Avatar Gabbi Jennings - just short

by Sad Din

Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:56 pm

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.