• 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

#88231  by Davemeister
 Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:51 pm
So far all announced Home Kickoffs have been 2:00. I expect the UT-C game to follow suit. Either Charleston Southern or Stetson will likely be at night.
 #88233  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:35 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:51 pm
So far all announced Home Kickoffs have been 2:00. I expect the UT-C game to follow suit. Either Charleston Southern or Stetson will likely be at night.
I would be ok with both CSU and Stetson at night. First 2 Saturdays in September will be hot. Been a long tme since we had a Saturday night game.
 #88235  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:57 pm
Senior day will be short this year, only 12 on the roster.
I realize your narrative at the moment is that Furman is going to be super young and inexperienced, but as I see it, the roster is just correcting itself back to its pre-COVID state.

For curiosity's sake, I went back and looked at a few random pre-COVID rosters for Furman.

Currently, Furman has 15 seniors and grad students listed on the roster. Of course, the presence of grad students on Furman's roster is a relatively new thing. I do not know how much eligibility each of them has, but last year we accepted several grad students with only one year of eligibility.

In 2017 (Hendrix's first season), Furman had 11 seniors.
In 2018, Furman had 17 seniors.
In 2019, Furman had 16 seniors.

So, in my view, this is pretty much where Furman has typically been in terms of roster construction.

Furman had a unique situation last year where a bunch of guys used extra eligibility to stay and keep playing.
 #88236  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I realize your narrative at the moment is that Furman is going to be super young and inexperienced, but as I see it, the roster is just correcting itself back to its pre-COVID state.

For curiosity's sake, I went back and looked at a few random pre-COVID rosters for Furman.

Currently, Furman has 15 seniors and grad students listed on the roster. Of course, the presence of grad students on Furman's roster is a relatively new thing. I do not know how much eligibility each of them has, but last year we accepted several grad students with only one year of eligibility.

So, in my view, this is pretty much where Furman has typically been in terms of roster construction.

Furman had a unique situation last year where a bunch of guys used extra eligibility to stay and keep playing.
Yep … Historically & typically, 25 per class enter and 1/3 to 1/2 of those (due to injuries, academics, loss of interest, lack of ability, transfer out, etc.) don’t make it to ‘walk’ on Sr. day. Redshirting, in general, doesn’t really impact that statistic because it, theoretically, happens in more-or-less the same number each year, so those redshirted are ‘carried back’ in ‘normal’ annual numbers.

So …. 25 minus 8-12ish yields a ‘normal’ (non-Covid-buttressed) number of Sr.’s on Sr. Day in the 13-17 range.
 #88259  by gofurman
 Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:34 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Yep … Historically & typically, 25 per class enter and 1/3 to 1/2 of those (due to injuries, academics, loss of interest, lack of ability, transfer out, etc.) don’t make it to ‘walk’ on Sr. day. Redshirting, in general, doesn’t really impact that statistic because it, theoretically, happens in more-or-less the same number each year, so those redshirted are ‘carried back’ in ‘normal’ annual numbers.

So …. 25 minus 8-12ish yields a ‘normal’ (non-Covid-buttressed) number of Sr.’s on Sr. Day in the 13-17 range.
I’ll trust my man FUBeAR. Still the best name on here lol.

If ,13-17 is average…. Thus 15 in the middle then we aren’t far off but are slightly low on Seniority. Now the relevant and unbiased question remains “how many Seniors do most FCS teams have this year?” IE, is most. everyone a little low on seniority this year ? Or do we know how many seniors most SoCon teams have. ?

Man. Side note. Sure would love to run back to back SoCon titles
 #88264  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:08 am
Just did a quick check so may have missed a couple...

Grad students, RS Seniors, and Seniors per roster:

WCU - 19
Wofford - 19
ETSU - 18
UTC - 17
Mercer - 14
Furman - 13
VMI - 9

Samford and The Citadel rosters still say 2023 and have guys on there I'm pretty sure have graduated and moved on so not sure with them.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88265  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:18 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:

WCU - 19
Wofford - 19
ETSU - 18
UTC - 17
Mercer - 14
Furman - 13
VMI - 9

Samford and The Citadel rosters still say 2023 and have guys on there I'm pretty sure have graduated and moved on so not sure with them.
Average of this solid research (thanks!) is just shy of 16. So, within the FUBeAR-projected ‘normal’ range of 13-17.

So, probably, still some Covid free-year impact pushing that to the higher side of the range. Suspect it will be even closer to the mid-range of 15 next fall…or less, as perhaps some ‘extra’ Covid Players caused numbers in subsequent recruiting classes (‘21 & ‘22) to be slightly reduced, possibly.
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #88272  by gofurman
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:46 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:

WCU - 19
Wofford - 19
ETSU - 18
UTC - 17
Mercer - 14
Furman - 13
VMI - 9

FuWolfpacker. Thanks for doin this
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #88277  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:04 pm
The FU numbers are a little skewed and others probably are too. FU has 9 senior, rs senior position players plus one kicker. One of the 3 grad players will likely never play. So 11 senior/grad position players. Here is a breakdown by class:
64-Freshmen/RS Freshmen
24-Soph/RS Sophs
17-Junior/RS Juniors
13-Senior/RS Seniors
Only a few, very few of the 88 frosh/soph have played. 81.4% of the roster are frosh/soph.
 #88279  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
The FU numbers are a little skewed and others probably are too. FU has 9 senior, rs senior position players plus one kicker. One of the 3 grad players will likely never play. So 11 senior/grad position players. Here is a breakdown by class:
64-Freshmen/RS Freshmen
24-Soph/RS Sophs
17-Junior/RS Juniors
13-Senior/RS Seniors
Only a few, very few of the 88 frosh/soph have played. 81.4% of the roster are frosh/soph.

Assuming your 88 freshman/sophomore number is correct, a full 30 of those players are brand new to the program, either signees or walk-ons. They have not played yet because they haven't even been on the roster yet.

It's also not unique for most of a college football roster to be skewed younger. The largest class is usually freshman (both redshirt and true). As players matriculate through the program, a lot of guys will fall off. That is not unique to Furman.

That leaves 58 players that were actually on Furman's roster last year. You might be surprised to know that, by my count, 43% of those players, give or take, have already registered playing time. A few of them (Jones, Hinton, Chappell, etc.) have registered a lot of playing time and were already starters.
 #88281  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:44 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:18 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:

WCU - 19
Wofford - 19
ETSU - 18
UTC - 17
Mercer - 14
Furman - 13
VMI - 9

Average of this solid research (thanks!) is just shy of 16. So, within the FUBeAR-projected ‘normal’ range of 13-17.

So, probably, still some Covid free-year impact pushing that to the higher side of the range. Suspect it will be even closer to the mid-range of 15 next fall…or less, as perhaps some ‘extra’ Covid Players caused numbers in subsequent recruiting classes (‘21 & ‘22) to be slightly reduced, possibly.
I think Furman still has a handful of players (maybe 5-7) that were on the roster in 2020 for the COVID-shortened season.
 #88290  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:49 am
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
64-Freshmen/RS Freshmen
24-Soph/RS Sophs
17-Junior/RS Juniors
13-Senior/RS Seniors

Assuming your 88 freshman/sophomore number is correct, a full 30 of those players are brand new to the program, either signees or walk-ons. They have not played yet because they haven't even been on the roster yet.

It's also not unique for most of a college football roster to be skewed younger. The largest class is usually freshman (both redshirt and true). As players matriculate through the program, a lot of guys will fall off. That is not unique to Furman.

That leaves 58 players that were actually on Furman's roster last year. You might be surprised to know that, by my count, 43% of those players, give or take, have already registered playing time. A few of them (Jones, Hinton, Chappell, etc.) have registered a lot of playing time and were already starters.
Your last sentence is the problem. A few have played a lot but most have not.
 #88291  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:11 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
64-Freshmen/RS Freshmen
24-Soph/RS Sophs
17-Junior/RS Juniors
13-Senior/RS Seniors

I'm not sure your point. This is pretty much how football works at high school and college levels.
 #88293  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:00 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:11 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
64-Freshmen/RS Freshmen
24-Soph/RS Sophs
17-Junior/RS Juniors
13-Senior/RS Seniors

I'm not sure your point. This is pretty much how football works at high school and college levels.
Taking a stab at it, I guess he is saying that “a lot of players have registered playing time, most of those have register only very little playing time, and that may be not good.”
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by gman84

Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:16 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by Davemeister

Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:19 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:54 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:22 am

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:46 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.