• Preseason '24

#88176  by Davemeister
 Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:27 pm
Impressive lifting! Even more impressive if he can do that with 600 pounds of Moc & Cat.
 #88181  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:52 pm
Very impressive and looked like his teammates thought so too!
 #88189  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:33 am
Furman looks to have done their initial roster update. Couple observations:

1. Bailor Hughes, who was sort of a do-it-all high school player, has been moved to RB. He always seemed like a good athlete. It appears he's put on some weight, listed now at 211 lbs.

2. Malachi Harrison has taken Sochovka's #7 and moved to DT. I think we'll see a lot of him this season.

3. Trey Hedden is listed at 6'3 231. If accurate, that's a big boy at QB.

4. There'a grad student QB newly listed, Isaac Ward, from Southern Cal. He looks to be from Athens. Didn't play at USC, it appears, but an interesting addition.

5. Justin Hartwell moved from safety to SPUR. He may be a guy they are looking at to replace Cally Chizik/Jalen Miller.

6. Mo Perkins, the grad transfer CB from Texas, is now on the roster after having been part of the press release, then not.

7. Gavin Hall get #33. Had this conversation with a friend the other day, but I'm a big fan of a running back wearing #33. Just feels a touch old school.

8. David Alabi, a big signee in last year's class, is now listed at DE from BAN.

9. Steven O'Dell, the 6'7 300 lbs signee, is listed at OG.

10. Dudek is moved to NG and is pushing 280 and Hernandez has slimmed down 307.

11.Caldwell Bussey now listed at 283 and moved to DT.
 #88191  by gman84
 Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:05 am
Bailor was an emergency rb last year during the playoffs. Looks like the plan is to leave him there. Gavin Hall could be a guy that plays this year. I'm hearing good things about him!
 #88193  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:33 am
Furman looks to have done their initial roster update. Couple observations:

4. There'a grad student QB newly listed, Isaac Ward, from Southern Cal. He looks to be from Athens. Didn't play at USC, it appears, but an interesting addition.
Looks like Mr. Ward would have greatly enjoyed Dr. Joe King’s New Testament Religion class at FU.

It was pretty much like this…
https://www.isaaclennonward.com/material
 #88202  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:32 am
Going to be interesting to see the defensive backfield develop.

If Furman's approach to grad transfers holds true, I feel moderately confident we will see a good bit of Mo Perkins at CB. Furman rarely seems to take a grad transfer that isn't going to play a lot of ball for us.

Outside of Perkins, we have a relatively young, but talented, group. I think Charles Ingram, Jalen Gummer, Hasan Dalton, and Jaylen Moson are guys that were usually on the dress squad and saw some game action in '23.

At free safety, it seems the safe money is on AK Burrell and the grad transfer Jalen Tate playing a big role. I guess we can get ready for the potential of having three Jalen/Jaylens on the field at the same time this fall.

My guess is strong safety will be Caleb Williams, who appeared to essentially split time with Kim Brinson last year. I'm guessing his backup would be Tre McCleod, who I believe has had some injury issues during his early Paladin career.

I assume they feel comfortable with someone at strong safety to pair with Williams as they moved Justin Hartwell to SPUR.
 #88206  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:54 am
To make things worse this inexperienced group will face arguably the best QB and passing attack in the country in their first game. They scored 70+ against Mercer last year and will be better this year. This opener will be hard to watch and it’s not like the offense is goung to help any by movng the ball. 🤣🤣
 #88211  by Afurmanfan
 Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:30 pm
Concerns about d-line positions? The coaches don’t.
Coaches had no plans of adding one via the portal.
Am sure some posters here know better than the staff.
 #88212  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:11 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:30 pm
Concerns about d-line positions? The coaches don’t.
Coaches had no plans of adding one via the portal.
Am sure some posters here know better than the staff.
That's pretty much what I come back to.

Furman has a lot to sell. They've been successful in the transfer portal, but selective in who they bring on.

If Furman isn't out there shopping guys at certain positions, it seems more likely that they don't feel like they need to instead of "shucks, we're striking out."
 #88223  by AstroDin
 Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:20 am
This is when we will see the effects of recruiting, depth, and player development.

My eyes are going to be on Dylan Chiedo.
Chiedo is imposing. When he walked by me at a basketball game last season, I was stunned by his size and width.
He's now listed at 6-2 239. Not to mention, he's an athletic dude.

I'm sure Gilby will be missed, but I think this year's linebacking corps will be an overall upgrade.

DiMaggio 6-3 235
Achina 6-1 212
Chiedo 602 239

I expect these two to get a lot of PT this season:
Herbert 6-2 223
Earl 6-2 228

There are also several highly decorated PWO linebackers.
One is Charlie Tack. Tack had multiple D1 PWO offers, including Wofford. He's seen as a hard hitter, tough Mike.
 #88225  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:50 am
We had a lot of senior leadership at linebacker last season. However, this group is just as deep, in my opinion.

I think DiMaggio can be in the conversation for SoCon DPOTY. He's a high energy, run and hit, old school linebacker.
 #88260  by gofurman
 Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:47 pm
Help me. I see a lot of angst over DL in the thread

So who are the depth (1 and 2) DL DE and NGs at this point ? I mean I can read the roster but I think yall know better who will probably pla
 #88262  by AstroDin
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:44 am
Bandit
Clark 6-3 253
Maier 6-4 238
Schuck 6-3 230
Short 6-3 214 (became the first 6A Texas player to garner state all-star game invitations in both football and basketball)
The Bandit position looks to be in great shape, with two youngsters in the wings, getting PT and, in Short's case, increasing size/strength.

DE
J Jackson 6-0 265
Alabi 6-2 225 (should rotate with JJ)
Stoneking 6-3 252 (could contend for PT)
Dobbins 6-3 240 (impressive recruit, has the size to play now)
DE should be about the same as last year, I think Alabi and Stoneking are going to be fun to watch.

DT
Harrison 6-1 270 (my bet is Malachi is the starter)
Bussey 6-3 283 (moved from DE - will play a lot)
Kauserud 6-4 277 (early-enrollee played IMG prep, big motor guy)
Baldwin 6-1 268 (highly-recruited, first-team all-state)
DT, I trust DL coach Kevin Lewis, he's a helluva coach. Yes, this group is smaller overall, but it appears quicker and more mobile.

NG
X Stephens 6-3 292 (starter)
Dudek 6-4 277 (might be #2)
Hernández 6-4 307 (transfer from Army; we will need PT from Marc)
Knauber 6-1 295 (true freshman, highly recruited local product, my bet to be the freshman to get the most PT from this class)
NG, Stephens is an excellent NG; the question mark is depth and rotation. My guess Dudek will be #2, Hernández hopefully jumps into the rotation, the final piece is Bruce Knauber, maybe he gets a redshirt, I think he plays.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88273  by gofurman
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:54 am
AstroDin wrote:
Bandit
Clark 6-3 253
Maier 6-4 238
Schuck 6-3 230
Short 6-3 214 (became the first 6A Texas player to garner state all-star game invitations in both football and basketball)
The Bandit position looks to be in great shape, with two youngsters in the wings, getting PT and, in Short's case, increasing size/strength.

DE
J Jackson 6-0 265
DE should be about the same as last year, I think Alabi and Stoneking are going to be fun to watch.

DT
DT, I trust DL coach Kevin Lewis, he's a helluva coach. Yes, this group is smaller overall, but it appears quicker and more mobile.

NG
Knauber 6-1 295 (true freshman, highly recruited local product, my bet to be the freshman to get the most PT from this class)
NG, Stephens is an excellent NG; the question mark is depth and rotation. My guess Dudek will be #2, Hernández hopefully jumps into the rotation, the final piece is Bruce Knauber, maybe he gets a redshirt, I think he plays.
I see some of what others noted. I would like two or so to be heavier. A couple 300 lb boys in the middle of DL can really help stop a run game
 #88274  by gofurman
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:57 am
AstroDin wrote:
Bandit
Clark 6-3 253
Maier 6-4 238
Schuck 6-3 230

DE
J Jackson 6-0 265

DT

NG
Astro. Thanks for the listing!!! Appreciate all you do
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:39 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:00 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:59 am

User avatar FU HOOPS DOC

by FU Hoopla

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:58 am

User avatar Changing times ...

by FUBeAR

Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.