• 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

#88124  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:01 am
Just went over the Montana game stats and compared them to who is coming back. We all knew that after the 2023 season the losses would be unprecedented. They are. Here is what it looks like. On offense 3 of 11 starters return, 2WR’s and a RB. On defense 3 of 11 starters return 2 DL’s, 1 LB. On special teams(kicking) only 1 of 4 return. Of the 55 man team that made the trip to Montana only 20 return for 2024 with the majority of those playing very little at MU. The 2023 team was the most experienced team in FU history no question. The 2024 team could very well be the most inexperienced team in FU history.
 #88125  by paladinfan41
 Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:13 am
If the Oline can hold up while continuing to put up all-socon performances C5 or Hedden will figure it out with our stacked receiver core. From what I’ve heard from a player the defensive staff is terrific and will have them in fine shape regardless of our perceived defensive backs weaknesses. Not all can be doom and gloom.
apaladin, din23 liked this
 #88126  by FUTex
 Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:14 am
Are we already starting the "we're not who we think we are" drumbeat?

I think the 2024 Paladins are in exceptionally good shape. First, who would have predicted we would upset #5 Mississippi? Second, did anyone see the Paladins make such an easy task of the first three non-conference foes? Well, I thought we would do well against Charlston Southern, but that 77-0 was an A-whooping extraordinaire. And going on to shut out Stetson and Bill and the B... amazing start!

Now I'm a realist, and we're not into the meat of the conference play yet, but so far I think things are looking rosy.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE: Please look at it this way... Would you rather have just a few starters return from a truly exceptional team, or a whole bunch of starters return from a mediocre team?
FUBeAR, QCGlue liked this
 #88128  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:01 am
Just went over the Montana game stats and compared them to who is coming back. We all knew that after the 2023 season the losses would be unprecedented. They are. Here is what it looks like. On offense 3 of 11 starters return, 2WR’s and a RB. On defense 3 of 11 starters return 2 DL’s, 1 LB. On special teams(kicking) only 1 of 4 return. Of the 55 man team that made the trip to Montana only 20 return for 2024 with the majority of those playing very little at MU. The 2023 team was the most experienced team in FU history no question. The 2024 team could very well be the most inexperienced team in FU history.
I guess I'll bite.

We can all agree that the 2023 team had an unprecedented amount of "experience." A lot of that had to do with guys with extra eligibility, medical redshirts, and guys that had reclassified. So, yes, it was an experienced group, but it was also an unprecedented set of circumstances that put us in that position (and a lot of other college programs). It is unlikely to ever happen again.

In no way, though, do I think that is some sort of dispositive determination of what we'll see in 2024. We have a deep and talented roster. A lot of those guys have just had to wait behind much older entrenched starters to earn their time.

Ole Miss will be a tough early test, but I still think we'll be one of the SoCon favorites.
 #88129  by Choir Boy
 Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:37 am
Another slant on this…
Years ago a big time college baseball coach ask me how the FU baseball team was going to be?

I went into a detailed explanation on how we had most of our position players returning , as well as 2 of our starting pitchers returning…

His response …well if u sucked last year there is a good chance you are going suck this year…

Bottom line ….no one knows, as there are too many variables that come into play With that said good coaching is key and that is something we definitely have. In CCH we Trust!
apaladin, gman84 liked this
 #88132  by Paul C
 Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:09 pm
This year is one of the first true tests of our post-COVID recruiting and player development. I'm cautiously optimistic we will be good this year. Maybe not up to last year standards, but good enough to be in the mix for the SoCon crown.
apaladin, dornb, gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #88135  by Davemeister
 Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:15 am
Agree. We will have a different team this year. I think we can be good but I do not expect the same results as last year.
apaladin liked this
 #88136  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:51 am
We are going to be very good.
Choir Boy liked this
 #88137  by sluggo
 Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:38 am
Same coach, so I'm thinking same results or better.
 #88138  by apaladin
 Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:47 pm
sluggo wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:38 am
Same coach, so I'm thinking same results or better.
When a very successful coach was asked why he was so successful his reply was ”I had good players”. It takes more than good coaches and I am not saying we don’t have good players.
Davemeister liked this
 #88141  by gofurman
 Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:52 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:09 pm
This year is one of the first true tests of our post-COVID recruiting and player development. I'm cautiously optimistic we will be good this year. Maybe not up to last year standards, but good enough to be in the mix for the SoCon crown.
Paul this is kinda my take. Go Furman and Paul agree ! There are too many unknowns to be cocky. New QB. OL(lost the big guy too). DBs. - Blackshear Yates etc. Blackshear is one of the best I’ve seen! Also the guy who went to Tulane now? But also UDFA guys like Pline! And Johanning. Especially Johanning. Hard to replace GAME EXPERIENCE. My take would be a little less than last year but hopefully play for the SoCon title. Would love two in a row .
 #88143  by Paul C
 Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:20 pm
In August of 1988 the outlook for Paladin football was bleak, with all the experience we lost from the somewhat snakebit and underachieving 1987 squad.

It all worked out…
gofurman, Choir Boy liked this
 #88145  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:28 am
I guess it's just something to talk about at this point in the preseason.

We always have to replace players. It happens every year.

Sure, Pline is in the NFL. Few of us even knew his name this time last year. He came from a D2 school where he was primarily a basketball player and ended up replacing a guy that is all over the Furman record books (Ryan Miller). It worked out.

Trust the coaches.
Choir Boy liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:57 pm

Default Avatar SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

by Affirm

Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:55 pm

User avatar Finally it is over!

by sluggo

Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:53 pm

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:50 am

User avatar Say Hey Kid RIP

by apaladin

Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:48 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.