• PreSeason Poll

#88055  by Afurmanfan
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:52 pm
Hedden has an NFL arm. One of our coaches said they have not seen an arm like his in the FCS since Flacco.
 #88065  by apaladin
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:16 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:48 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:23 am
Do we have a QB who can run the football? That's been a BIG part of our Offense the last two years.
It’s a good question.

QB runs was also a huge part of Coach Roper’s O with Matt Sluka @ Holy Cross.

FUBeAR didn’t note that Carson Jones was a particularly strong runner in his 3 extended appearances (Chatt, VMI, Woffy), but he may be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Garcia has great QB mechanics and looks like an outstanding athlete in his uniform. That could make him the next Justin Herbert or the next Johnny Utah ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

High-flyin’ rook, Hedden … no clue … not even worth a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ until he figures out how to sneak into the girls dorms (guess they don’t have to do that anymore, huh? … anyway … we’ll see)

So … great question … no way to begin to answer it until Fall practice and prolly won’t be answered fully until about Game #6
Correct about Jones being a non-threat in the running game. 7 carries for minus 23 yds last season. With that said in his situation I am sure the coaches did not want him runnng the ball. Appears that runnung was not a big part of his game in HS either.
 #88072  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:46 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:23 am
Do we have a QB who can run the football? That's been a BIG part of our Offense the last two years.
I am a bit less worried about that, honestly. In my view, good coaches will fit their system to the personnel they have.

Sluka at Holy Cross was a battering ram at QB. He ran the ball 100 more times in 2022 than Huff did in 2023.

Huff certainly had some games where his running ability was a difference maker, but it is also worth noting that there were plenty of games where he did not run much at all.

I do think the VMI game from '23 may be an indicator of where our offense was going. We saw Furman take some big time deep shots against a pretty solid Keydet defense with Jones under center. He was making throws we really never saw Huff make. We may lose some running/scrambling ability without Huff, but I think we'll gain some ability to really throw the ball down the field.
 #88077  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:05 pm
We were all impressed with Jones aganst VMI but just as unimpressed against WC the next week. After the VMI game I was thinking maybe we should just stay with Jones. After WC I was thinking please let Huff be ok.
 #88078  by gman84
 Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:49 pm
The entire team stunk against Wofford. The coaches and players will openly admit that. I would not use Wofford or VMI games to make any conclusions about Jones. What our offense can do this year is more about the O line and less about our QB.
bj93, tim liked this
 #88089  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:05 pm
We were all impressed with Jones aganst VMI but just as unimpressed against WC the next week. After the VMI game I was thinking maybe we should just stay with Jones. After WC I was thinking please let Huff be ok.
You know, I honestly don't read too much into the Wofford game. In my view, it was such an outlier from what we've seen under Hendrix that it's hard to draw too many conclusions.

Furman played poorly. Wofford played well. Wofford got most (every?) break in the game. The stars aligned for them that day.

That said, Jones was still a freshman. Very few freshman come on and blow the doors off at our level. There will be some good days and bad days. We saw what Jones could do against VMI, and then saw him struggle against Wofford. That happens with a young QB.
tim liked this
 #88113  by gofurman
 Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:13 pm
gman84 wrote:
The entire team stunk against Wofford. The coaches and players will openly admit that. I would not use Wofford or VMI games to make any conclusions about Jones. What our offense can do this year is more about the O line and less about our QB.
While QB WILL matter... I agree - it's OL and DBs this year. And OL pretty much every year. A bad OL makes for a looooong day for the QB. A QB's best friend is an OL that can get you 3+ yards on any carry
bj93 liked this
 #88114  by The Jackal
 Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:34 pm
gofurman wrote:
gman84 wrote:
While QB WILL matter... I agree - it's OL and DBs this year. And OL pretty much every year. A bad OL makes for a looooong day for the QB. A QB's best friend is an OL that can get you 3+ yards on any carry
Good news for us that Furman has quality coaches at the offensive line spots, and has generally fielded one of the most solid units in the conference.

We'll have some new faces on the OL, but they aren't really going to be spring chickens.
QCGlue liked this
 #88116  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:50 pm
That said, Jones was still a freshman. Very few freshman come on and blow the doors off at our level. There will be some good days and bad days. We saw what Jones could do against VMI, and then saw him struggle against Wofford. That happens with a young QB.
[/quote]
True but he was a redshirt freshman and had been in the program for 2 years by the end of last season. With that said the entire offense was very poor in that game. The defense played winning football, offennse wasn’t close to winning foitball.
Davemeister liked this
 #88120  by gofurman
 Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:34 pm
gofurman wrote:
gman84 wrote:
Good news for us that Furman has quality coaches at the offensive line spots, and has generally fielded one of the most solid units in the conference.

We'll have some new faces on the OL, but they aren't really going to be spring chickens.
Jackal. Agree. There was that one year or few games we couldn’t get a dam half yard on fourth and short (or starting at third and two could get a first with two tries). I think I recall that a few years back. But most years we get that. CCH is definitely a believer in his OL and goes for fourth and short on our 40+ sometimes. Other than that one year we have done well with this.
 #88159  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:59 am
Have all the confidence in the world in CCH but this could be his biggest challenge with the OL.
 #88161  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:59 am
Have all the confidence in the world in CCH but this could be his biggest challenge with the OL.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/365218
Air Force Rebuilds: Six Headlines From Spring Practices
JAKE SCHALLER - MARCH 18, 2010

1. Falcons Begin Rebuilding Offensive Line
And it’s a big rebuilding job. Air Force lost all five of its 2009 (8–5 (5–3 MW)) starters to graduation. Clay Hendrix, the Falcons’ offensive line coach, is heading into his 23rd season as a college coach, but said, “I don’t know if I’ve ever had all five gone.”

The linemen clearly lack game experience, as only Wallerstein has logged substantial snaps. But Hendrix notes that most of the projected starters played last season with the second-team offense, which gets about as many snaps in practice as the Falcons’ starting unit.

And…How they did???

2010 Air Force Falcons football
Independence Bowl champion, W 14–7 vs. Georgia Tech
Conference - Mountain West Conference
Record - 9–4 (5–3 MW)
Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy Winner

Opponent Rank Result
Northwestern State W 65–21
BYU W 35–14
at No. 7 Oklahoma L 24–27
at Wyoming W 20–14
Navy W 14–6
Colorado State No. 25 W 49–27
at San Diego State No. 23 L 25–27 (oops, dangit!)
at No. 4 TCU L 7–38
No. 8 Utah L 23–28
at Army* W 42–22

New Mexico W 48–23
at UNLV W 35–20
vs. Georgia Tech* (Independence Bowl W 14–7

Ranking movements
RV = Received votes
Week Pre 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Final
AP RV RV RV 25 23 RV RV RV RV
Coaches RV RV RV RV RV 23 RV RV RV RV RV
Harris Not released 23 RV RV RV RV RV RV Not released
 #88183  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:39 pm
Athlon is out, anyone seen the FCS top 25?

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:57 pm

Default Avatar SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

by Affirm

Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:55 pm

User avatar Finally it is over!

by sluggo

Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:53 pm

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:50 am

User avatar Say Hey Kid RIP

by apaladin

Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:48 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.