• Erskine Football

#2971  by AHB1188
 Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:20 pm
/

Interesting news from Due West. Perhaps the Flying Fleet and the Paladins may meet again. Looks like Erskine is going into Division II.
 #2972  by mathprofhiker
 Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:56 pm
This is correct, per their college and athletics website. This is the 4th new varsity sport they have announced within the past few months, in addition to some club sports. This is a massive undertaking for such a small college, and their conference (Conference Carolinas) does not sponsor football. DII programs do not really compete with us, so hopefully this works out for them.
AHB1188 liked this
 #2982  by AHB1188
 Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:07 am
I didn't realize the overall trend of expansion, but my first thought is this is enrollment driven.
FUBeAR liked this
 #3018  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:41 pm
I spoke to the Student-Athletes at Erskine about 7 or 8 years ago and had a long talk with their AD (still there) about adding Football and the associated enrollment benefits of Football and other sports. He was ready to add Football that day if he could have. My memory may be a little fuzzy, but I believe he told me that, at the time, they were bringing in 30+ baseball players each year. Obviously, most of those were receiving very little to no scholarship assistance, but they wanted to play college baseball. They are currently showing 73 Team Members on their Baseball roster and Furman, by comparison, has 33. As he said, some of them play, some of them quit baseball and stay in school there, and some transfer. But they were (mostly) paying tuition while they were there. So, yeah, them adding Football is, most likely, highly "enrollment driven." As long as they are up-front about the numbers (# of Players in the Program, Tuition (and other ) Costs, and Available Financial Aid) with the Kids and their Families, then I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Plus, their "Flying Fleet" Team name/mascot is pretty darn cool.
Due West, SC...not so much.
 #3023  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:59 am
Allen University, Columbia, SC, has a newly added team.
 #3026  by cavedweller2
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:43 am
Looking forward to the Paladins going on the road to play these two.
fufanatic, Davemeister liked this
 #3032  by fufanatic
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 am
Helmets are pretty awesome.

Thought the school was close to shutting down a few years ago. Good for them that they've turned it around some enough to add sports.
 #3039  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 am
fufanatic wrote:

Thought the school was close to shutting down a few years ago. Good for them that they've turned it around some enough to add sports.
Though I don't know for certain, my sense is that it's kinda the other way around. I think adding sports / student-athletes, i.e., tuition-paying student-athletes has turned the school around.

They have 614 undergraduate students...and I just counted the number of Players on all of the online rosters. 352 Student-Athletes less a few that might participate in 2 (or more) sports. 57% of the students there are Student-Athletes. If we add 150 Football Players to that, that % goes to 66%, not accounting for any other additional new non-athlete students. If they control spending properly, leveraging Sports to drive Enrollment Management is a good 'business model' for Higher Education.

Baseball = 73
Men's Basketball = 57 (wow!)
Men's Golf = 26
Men's Soccer = 29
Men's Tennis = 9
Men's' Volleyball = 16
Women's Basketball = 22
Women's Cross Country = 8
Women's Golf = 7
Women's Lacrosse = 19
Women's Soccer = 36
Softball = 25
Women's Tennis = 7
Women's Volleyball = 18
AHB1188 liked this
 #3045  by AHB1188
 Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:59 pm
I agree with FUBeAR. The cost pressures on those tiny colleges are tough. I think Brevard College has followed a similar path. They field 21 athletic teams (including things like cycling and climbing) which adds substantially to their enrollment.

The numbers on Erskine are interesting as well. If my impression of service academy prep school athletics is correct, what Erskine is doing seems similar.
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 am
fufanatic wrote:

Though I don't know for certain, my sense is that it's kinda the other way around. I think adding sports / student-athletes, i.e., tuition-paying student-athletes has turned the school around.

They have 614 undergraduate students...and I just counted the number of Players on all of the online rosters. 352 Student-Athletes less a few that might participate in 2 (or more) sports. 57% of the students there are Student-Athletes. If we add 150 Football Players to that, that % goes to 66%, not accounting for any other additional new non-athlete students. If they control spending properly, leveraging Sports to drive Enrollment Management is a good 'business model' for Higher Education.

Baseball = 73
Men's Basketball = 57 (wow!)
Men's Golf = 26
Men's Soccer = 29
Men's Tennis = 9
Men's' Volleyball = 16
Women's Basketball = 22
Women's Cross Country = 8
Women's Golf = 7
Women's Lacrosse = 19
Women's Soccer = 36
Softball = 25
Women's Tennis = 7
Women's Volleyball = 18
 #3949  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 pm
I agree with FUBeAR and AHB1188 on the fact that these matters are enrollment-related. AHB1188 used the phrase "those tiny colleges" in reference to Erskine and Brevard. Those 2 schools are "tiny colleges", but Furman has and will have its own issues. Furman is a relatively very small school. It is impressive that we have the quantity and quality of athletics that we have. Even so, if the school's addition of new sports team would help Furman, here are some suggestions:
Men's Wrestling
Men's, Women's, and Co-ed Rifle
Women's Beach Volleyball
Evidently, the SoCon sponsors competition in Wrestling and in Rifle (3 schools in each of those), and Mercer has Beach Volleyball competing in the ASUN as an associate member.
 #4399  by fufanatic
 Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 am
Monday wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 am
https://erskinesports.com/news/2018/8/2 ... ogram.aspx

How long before FU starts having intermural Fortnite tournaments?
It's bizarre to most of us, but this sort of announcement is going to start happening more and more. Esports is giant with revenue projections over a billion dollars a year already. Those figures = TV appearances on big channels like ESPN and jobs for college students that are interested in that sort of thing. You won't catch me spending an evening watching someone else play video games, but to each their own I suppose.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:21 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Flagman

Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.