• Paying players

#1239  by Bootie
 Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:33 pm
The topic about the money the NCAA tourney pays to conferences generated the discussion with a friend about paying players.

I feel like, regardless of how much money the NCAA makes from the players, the players are being "compensated" by playing at the highest collegiate level, gaining exposure, publicity and fame in many cases, and mainly, they are willing to do it for free. Why pay anyone who is willing to play for free?

What's your take?
FU69, Affirm liked this
 #1259  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:39 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:33 pm
The topic about the money the NCAA tourney pays to conferences generated the discussion with a friend about paying players.

I feel like, regardless of how much money the NCAA makes from the players, the players are being "compensated" by playing at the highest collegiate level, gaining exposure, publicity and fame in many cases, and mainly, they are willing to do it for free. Why pay anyone who is willing to play for free?

What's your take?
I'm certainly more open to the discussion that players should be able to make money off their likeness, sign autographs for money and probably a few other things. That's never made sense to me. BUT, people that argue for paying players have zero idea what all a player receives for their work. Here are a few examples for players at major schools that actually make money for their university:

Tuition, including first look at classes each semester
Books
Housing
Unlimited meals and snacks
Team athletic trainer and strength coach
Access to coaches and what would amount to an internship if that sport is something you want to pursue as a career
Access and top priority to doctors
Team nutritionist
Athletic gear
Free travel, sometimes on charter planes and to places all around the country/world
Exposure through newspaper, radio, TV, both locally and nationally
Thousands and thousands of followers on social media
Connections with very rich alums that like to hire athletes

Add all that up, I'm not sure what it's all worth, but it's easy six figures and probably more over the course of four years. It's a great discussion, I understand the economics of it, but I also understand the challenges. How do you decide which players get paid? Obviously it would only be for teams that make money right? How do you keep other sports on campus from going under if the money that usually goes to them is now going to the star QB or PG? What about staff that work in athletics ... are positions cut to make more room in the budget for a player?

I just don't think it's as cut and dry as some people say it is.
Bootie, FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Davemeister

Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:54 pm

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:53 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Flagman

Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.