• FCS Top Football Teams & Future OOC Scheduling

#63633  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:23 pm
Samford’s OOC future scheduling includes home & home series with UIW in 2024 & 2026.
ETSU’s OOC future scheduling includes home & home series with NDSU in 2025 & 2026.
I realize we have a home & home series with
W&M in 2024 & 2025 - a great step in the right direction for us.
 #63634  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:06 pm
So…if you’re asking…

Q: In order to receive a Top 4 Seed in the FCS Football Playoffs, is it better to have an easier or more challenging schedule and why?

A: It is generally better to have a more challenging schedule in order to receive a top seed in the FCS football playoffs. This is because the selection committee takes into account the strength of a team's opponents when determining the playoff seeds. A team that has faced a tougher schedule and has succeeded against strong opponents is more likely to be highly ranked and receive a top seed.

Having a more challenging schedule can also help a team prepare for the playoffs by providing opportunities to play against top-level competition. This can help a team build momentum and improve its skills, which can be beneficial when facing tough opponents in the playoffs.

On the other hand, an easier schedule may not provide the same level of preparation and may not be as impressive to the selection committee when it comes to ranking and seeding. In addition, an easier schedule may not provide as many opportunities for a team to demonstrate its abilities and may not be as impressive to the selection committee when it comes to ranking and seeding.
 #63823  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:54 am
My recollection is that there was discussion that the SoCon was going to start forcing some of these programs to play a respectable schedule.

As much as I dislike seeing D2, NAIA, and Pioneer League teams on SoCon schedules, I have no objection to scheduling a "winnable" home game to balance the "money game" against an FBS team.

That third OOC game, though, should be a push to play big FCS programs in big FCS conferences.

I realize that some scheduling issues are just unavoidable in this era where every other team is moving conferences and changing subdivisions. However, I'd like to see the SoCon get away from playing the same retreads from the Big South/OVC every season. They aren't the same level of competition right now. We need to see SoCon teams beating bigger name programs from conferences with whom we'll be competition for playoff positioning.
Affirm liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.