• Sac State. V. The Word

#62555  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:02 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:23 pm
Stats mean less in football than in any other sport.

What I saw last night gave me every reason to believe that we are right up there w the top teams in FCS

And from what I’m seeing today SD St might be just a tad overrated.
Paul. Hey we usually agree. But -
1). SCORE (points scored. Points allowed) are a stat. Do they not matter?? :D They are absolutely a Stat.

2). Turnovers are a stat. Almost everyone agrees they matter. Jackal. Everyone.

3). 3rd down conversions are a stat. To not see a correlation in who wins and who converts third downs is well, crazy

You take Turnovers and third down conversions and you can predict who won with well over 90% accuracy.

4). Stats whatever. 700 yards +. My Point is Sac State ran UP AND DOWN the field at will when they had the ball. Thus they SCORED SIXTY THREE POINTS vs UIW. This despite FOUR TURNOVERS !! We scored 38 and had only two turnovers. The only thing stopping the Sac State offense was the turnovers. We just didn’t have the offense - I came away from our game thinking ‘wow, that UIW defense is strong’. Watching Sac State put 700+ yards on them I realize our offense is not elite. It’s true. Don’t read me wrong. We are very very very good. Truly Top notch.

But on offense we are apparently not elite. Our OL isnt quite getting the elite level push. If so we would have moved the ball better vs UIW. UIW had no answer to stop the run game of Sacramento. None. Defensively we all know we are extremely good except vs the best of receivers. Western Carolina 4th quarter. Samford quarters 2 and 3. . UIW. we couldn’t handle the top receivers and blew some coverages. Otherwise we are super.

People say it was set up for us to win. I mean I’d say at best it would have been 40/60 at Sac State. They had a nasty offense. Nasty.

Then Montana State might be the best left. Maybe. Still hard to tell yet. I know CAA appears overrated - dam 5 bid league my azz.

But 55-0 at third quarter? (Montana State over William and Mary). Wow
 #62561  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:29 pm
Anyway. Here is loving the year we had. AWESOME!!

In playoffs it’s rough as everyone but one goes home on a loss. We don’t have pansy bowl system where half the teams get a Poulan Weed eater Cheezit Jimmy Kimmel win
 #62603  by FUPlayer74
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:08 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:02 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:23 pm
Stats mean less in football than in any other sport.

What I saw last night gave me every reason to believe that we are right up there w the top teams in FCS

And from what I’m seeing today SD St might be just a tad overrated.
Paul. Hey we usually agree. But -
1). SCORE (points scored. Points allowed) are a stat. Do they not matter?? :D They are absolutely a Stat.

2). Turnovers are a stat. Almost everyone agrees they matter. Jackal. Everyone.

3). 3rd down conversions are a stat. To not see a correlation in who wins and who converts third downs is well, crazy

You take Turnovers and third down conversions and you can predict who won with well over 90% accuracy.

4). Stats whatever. 700 yards +. My Point is Sac State ran UP AND DOWN the field at will when they had the ball. Thus they SCORED SIXTY THREE POINTS vs UIW. This despite FOUR TURNOVERS !! We scored 38 and had only two turnovers. The only thing stopping the Sac State offense was the turnovers. We just didn’t have the offense - I came away from our game thinking ‘wow, that UIW defense is strong’. Watching Sac State put 700+ yards on them I realize our offense is not elite. It’s true. Don’t read me wrong. We are very very very good. Truly Top notch.

But on offense we are apparently not elite. Our OL isnt quite getting the elite level push. If so we would have moved the ball better vs UIW. UIW had no answer to stop the run game of Sacramento. None. Defensively we all know we are extremely good except vs the best of receivers. Western Carolina 4th quarter. Samford quarters 2 and 3. . UIW. we couldn’t handle the top receivers and blew some coverages. Otherwise we are super.

People say it was set up for us to win. I mean I’d say at best it would have been 40/60 at Sac State. They had a nasty offense. Nasty.

Then Montana State might be the best left. Maybe. Still hard to tell yet. I know CAA appears overrated - dam 5 bid league my azz.

But 55-0 at third quarter? (Montana State over William and Mary). Wow
GoFurman , I didn't read Paul's comment to say stats don't matter, but that they matter less in football. I'm not smart enough to know if that's true or not, but I understand what he is saying. Most football people relate to stats as to what happened on the field exclusive of the score. Of course the score is the most important measure of the game. Check out the stats in today's Army Navy game.
 #62615  by cavedweller2
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:17 pm
The only stat check mark in the knock out rounds that count are the checks under the W.
 #62619  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:39 am
Paul C wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:17 pm
Gf you just very eloquently made my point. Thanks.
Yeah, he does that.
 #62651  by FurmanATT
 Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:36 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:44 am
This game is a shoot-out. UIW seems to have no D at all in second half especially against the little short screen passes.

Lindsey Scott Jr. is a better runner than passer.
That was Clay Hendrix's view, too. -- MD
 #62824  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:37 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:39 am
Paul C wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:17 pm
Gf you just very eloquently made my point. Thanks.
Yeah, he does that.
So you all (PaulC and FUBeAR) don't think points matter? That is what you have just said.

POINTS SCORED & POINTS ALLOWED are absolutely statistics...

Conference points scored per game and Conference points allowed per game are STATISTICS that are tracked. I guess our points scored didn't matter to help us win?? WOW

And yes.. TURNOVERS and THIRD DOWN CONVERSIONS etc etc lead to those points. One statistic (which you maintain does NOT matter) is "Red Zone Scoring efficiency".. That's a Statistic. A percentage statistic that is mathmatically measured (and usually favors teams that can run the ball well). But, hey, since statistics don't matter I guess POINTS and Red Zone ability to score doesn't matter.

That is a crazy world you guys live in.... I really don't know what to do with that except know that, in truth, you all are both WAY smarter than that ;)
 #62829  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:05 am
FurmanATT wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:36 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:44 am
This game is a shoot-out. UIW seems to have no D at all in second half especially against the little short screen passes.

Lindsey Scott Jr. is a better runner than passer.
That was Clay Hendrix's view, too. -- MD
Honestly, I feel - after watching Sac State - that our Offense left some to be desired. UIW had no answer for the basic running game and screen passes (over and over and over) of Sac State. We did that so well vs Clemson ... man...

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.