• Sac State. V. The Word

#62513  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:29 am
Watching UIW last week, their offense is the real deal.

During the game I kept thinking that they looked like mid-aughts App State.

Defensively they aren't overwhelming, but their offense is so good that the defense can play a lot more aggressively and hope for turnovers and more possessions for the offense.
 #62518  by Davemeister
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:03 am
Last night's shootout determined who's the Fastest Gun In The West.

Our team has nothing to be ashamed of, losing to UIW.
 #62519  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:04 am
Sure makes our Defense look good. We shut down UIW in the second half and I don't believe anybody else has been able to do that.

I think we would have been very competitive with Sac State too.

If UIW wins it all its gonna be hard to take, but a kinda hope they do now. We had'em beat.
 #62524  by bj93
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:16 am
If Sac St doesn't turn the ball over 4 times they beat UIW by 2 TD's.
 #62525  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:33 am
I will be very disappointed if they don’t revamp the entire FCS playoff system based on the ridiculous crap that was exposed this year. There has to be transparency and accountability.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #62529  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:02 pm
Furman and Sac State both lost to UIW by 3 after being down by 11 at half and both outscored UIW by 8 in the second half.

Who would have thought you could score 46 points in the second half and lose? I am sure SS would have taken that coming out of half and run.
 #62530  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:11 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:02 pm
Furman and Sac State both lost to UIW by 3 after being down by 11 at half and both outscored UIW by 8 in the second half.
Proving that Furman should have been seeded…certainly ahead of William & Mary…and thinking we’ll see today that Holy Cross also did not deserve to be seeded.
 #62532  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:26 pm
Agree about the CAA, certainly not what it used to be. I think the only reason UR kept it close against Sac. St. was because of the pouring rain. That is usually an equalizer.
 #62533  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:31 pm
Sac. St. had 49 first downs, 738 yds of offense and had the ball for over 38 minutes and still lost. Not using their 2 timeouts on their last second drive was a huge blunder.
 #62544  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:08 pm
Last stat on this game. UIW had the ball only 21 mins so they averaged 3 plus points per every minute they had the ball. That is unreal.
 #62545  by Yadkin
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:11 pm
Delaware maybe would have finished fifth in the SoCon this year, lost four of its last six games, and had no business getting a playoff bid. CAA drew three playoff first round cupcakes. League's most competitive first round game was a 25-point loss to Furman by an Elon team that beat W&M, Delaware (by 20), and Richmond. Grossly overrated league this year.
FUBeAR liked this
 #62547  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:14 pm
Hard to compare but seemed clear to me using the UIW game that Furman Defense was superior to Sac State .. BUT cmon. Sac State offense was clearly superior to our offense!! We really had THREE points on offense in first half vs UIW. That’s BAD. Because, as many have stated, that not a great D.. they play for turnovers etc but they could not stop Sac State running game and simple screen passes and some passes over middle. Sac State just ran Basic offense and I think went for SEVEN HUNDRED ++ yards. We had 300+. Our offense just didn’t measure up. Sac State may have been the better team last night. I think they were. They had FOUR turnovers and almost won. That’s sick. . I count the onsides as near turnovers so we will say a -3 or -2.5 turnover ratio for Sac State. Almost No one wins with a -2.5 turnover ratio. No one. It’s like 8%. To almost win with that turnover ratio against UIW says A LOT. Again, our D was great and better than Sac State! Clearly. Love our D !!! But watching that game last night I couldn’t help but think where was our ability to move the ball?? Sac State ran same running plays over and over and their OL pushed UIW all around. We could not do this. That was a clear difference for me. Our OL did not get NEAR the run blocking push that Sac State OL did. I was shocked at their OL strength.
 #62549  by Louis Tully
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:21 pm
Being reported that Sac St coach offered the Stanford job. That is a step up.
 #62550  by Paul C
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:23 pm
Stats mean less in football than in any other sport.

What I saw last night gave me every reason to believe that we are right up there w the top teams in FCS

And from what I’m seeing today SD St might be just a tad overrated.
FUBeAR, din23 liked this
 #62553  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:51 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:21 pm
Being reported that Sac St coach offered the Stanford job. That is a step up.
He already accepted it from all accounts a few hours ago

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by Affirm

Fri May 17, 2024 2:49 pm

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.