• Effort to rename Johnson Hagood Stadium

#29211  by youwouldno
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:13 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:14 pm
And slippery slope arguments are but a logical fallacy.
Numerous politicians and activists are calling for Jefferson, Washington, etc. to have their statues and monuments pulled down. We are already on the slope, calling it fiction is ludicrous. Almost as accurate as your Michael Flynn prison prediction.
FurmAlum, Affirm liked this
 #29212  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:50 pm
There is no slippery slope because Mr. Taggart imagines that the movement looks to him for guidance and will heed his sage advice as to which historical figures achieved acceptable levels of ideological purity. Apparently Washington, U. S. Grant, TR and Lincoln didn’t cut the mustard with Mr. Taggart, but we can hope that he will grant a reprieve to marble Jesuses.
Affirm liked this
 #29214  by FurmAlum
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:07 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Numerous politicians and activists are calling for Jefferson, Washington, etc. to have their statues and monuments pulled down. We are already on the slope, calling it fiction is ludicrous. Almost as accurate as your Michael Flynn prison prediction.
Definitions from Webster's Dictionary (you can look it up):

Politician - failed lawyer

Activist - someone who couldn't find a job in the private sector after he got out of college
Affirm liked this
 #29217  by FU3
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:27 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Numerous huh? Please provide the names of "politicians" who are specifically calling for Jefferson and Washington statues and monuments to be pulled down. Since you have done so much research on this matter please include the office these folks hold , it would provide us less enlightened a sense of the seriousness of this situation..... I"ll wait.
Affirm liked this
 #29219  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:13 pm
FU3 wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Numerous huh? Please provide the names of "politicians" who are specifically calling for Jefferson and Washington statues and monuments to be pulled down. Since you have done so much research on this matter please include the office these folks hold , it would provide us less enlightened a sense of the seriousness of this situation..... I"ll wait.
About 2 min. of research yielded these 2 for me:
-the black caucus of the NY City Council
-the former executive director of the congressional black caucus
 #29221  by Roundball
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:26 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:45 pm
The Dixie Chicks have changed their name to “The Chicks”

Everything else is noise 😊
Love the Chicks! By the way, Dolly was ahead of this movement. She took Dixie out of the name of her dinner theatre back in 2018.
 #29222  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:48 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:45 pm
The Dixie Chicks have changed their name to “The Chicks”

Everything else is noise 😊
FUBeAR cannot abide with this tone deaf objectification / animalization of women. Heretofore, these 3 women, when assembled for purposes of creating and/or performing music, shall be known/called, The.
Affirm liked this
 #29223  by FU3
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:09 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FU3 wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Appears youwouldknow needed some help. He was making the point that there was an insidious movement by“numerous “ politicians (not some,not a few) to remove Jefferson and Washington (etc). Your research revealed 2 examples one of which ((Executive Director) I believe is a paid staff position and not a politician .... still waiting.
Affirm liked this
 #29224  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:36 am
Mr. Taggart wrote:
OK.

Please opine on Bailey’s Theory of Social Entropy, the Peruvian study supporting this theory, and the relevance of this theory to the subject at hand. Most importantly, please provide association/linkage, if any, of this theory to the TSSS4RR continuum.
Affirm liked this
 #29225  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:03 am
FU3 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:09 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FU3 wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Appears youwouldknow needed some help. He was making the point that there was an insidious movement by“numerous “ politicians (not some,not a few) to remove Jefferson and Washington (etc). Your research revealed 2 examples one of which ((Executive Director) I believe is a paid staff position and not a politician .... still waiting.
Like I said, within a minute or two I found support from all minority politicians running the nation’s largest city. But ok, they don’t have any influence or anything. I also found an interview with a paid mouthpiece for an organization made up of virtually every black politician in congress. Are you saying the CBC is insignificant? Or are you saying that they are against this vandalism, but they’ve just forgotten to mention that to their followers or anybody else? It doesn’t matter anyway because the politicians are spectators at this point. The “activists” ( I would say anarchists)
are running the show and the politicians fear them. Or are you saying that these statue topplings are just isolated nationwide events or acts of God or what?
Affirm liked this
 #29230  by cavedweller2
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 am
When I was growing up we had a large German Shepherd named Dixie. If she didn’t like you you had better look out as she could be mean. She chased Freebird up a tree one time.
Paul C liked this
 #29231  by Mr. Taggart
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:43 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:50 pm
There is no slippery slope because Mr. Taggart imagines that the movement looks to him for guidance and will heed his sage advice as to which historical figures achieved acceptable levels of ideological purity. Apparently Washington, U. S. Grant, TR and Lincoln didn’t cut the mustard with Mr. Taggart, but we can hope that he will grant a reprieve to marble Jesuses.
It's fine if you disagree with me, but you really look foolish when you accuse me of things I have never said. Shockingly, comrade, I am not a Communist. And I didn't advocate removal of statues of Washington, Grant, Roosevelt or Lincoln ... in fact, advocating the opposite on this thread. To the extent you question the sincerity of my faith... I am going to assume that is not what you meant, and turn the other cheek on that one. I don't know you, and you don't know me. I'll avoid assumptions if you do.

I am acquainted with FUBear, and I like him. I am fine with his jokes, at my expense or otherwise. It is part of the site. As I said to him, it is clear that every statute removed or remaining has been done on my personal authority. As to Social Entropy, I am no sociologist, but it seems a valid theory. The election of 2016 is proof of it -- we do not need a Peruvian study.

You really haven't challenged my history, because it isn't wrong. In addition to being a good defender, Dr. O'Neill is a heckuva teacher.

Your contention that public display of monuments to the Lost Cause is some sort of necessity to understand history is simply not credible. How does the name of a football stadium teach us history? The monuments are, plainly stated, fiction -- the do not accurately reflect what happened, and they were put up in part to show black people under Jim Crow that they were subjugated. They were put up in the 1890s and 1900s, as Jim Crow laws were established to repress black people. In the same time, Thomas Dixon wrote a novel and play, which was adapted to The Birth of a Nation. The monuments and the movie serve the same purpose -- to create a new fictional history. To anyone who wanted to see it, it has long been obvious -- C. Vann Woodward wrote about it in 1955. The Lost Cause honors people like Hampton as "freedom fighters." The freedom they sought was the "freedom" not to be treated equally under law with black citizens, in blatant violation of the 14th Amendment. I don't think that should be honored, and I think we learn the truth better from reading it than from looking at statues.

Tell the truth about Wade Hampton. He was one of the largest slaveholders in the South, and he bought his rank. He coordinated with the Red Shirts in 1876, meeting with them in a brothel in Charleston. He pushed the Lost Cause myth. He is no hero, and the hagiography is misplaced, but Hagood was worse -- he executed prisoners of war who were black, considering them to be engaged in servile insurrection. And yet, he has a public building named for him.

As to Hampton, the park next to the Citadel is named for him. The park that was earlier named the Washington Race Course, in honor of the Father of Our Country. The park where the Confederates allowed more than 250 Union POWs to die of exposure during captivity. The park that freedmen repaired after the war, properly burying the dead, and building an archway saying "Martyrs of the Race Course." On May 1, 1865, 10,000 freedmen marched in the Park, including veterans of the 54th Massachusetts, to celebrate Decoration Day. This is an early inspiration for Memorial Day. Charleston allowed the cemetery to fall into disrepair, and the bodies had to be moved.

That park, that sacred ground, was named after Wade Hampton in the 1900s, because of the myth of the Lost Cause. He didn't do anything there. So, how are we making sure people know history? It appears we do so by avoiding mention of the actual events and naming the park, the final resting place for actual heroes, after someone who repressed voters and allowed his supporters to kill citizens to win an election by 1100 votes. That park should be Grant Park, or Lincoln Park, or Union Park, or even Denmark Vesey Park. At least then it would honor people who fought for freedom.

Comrade, if I lived in Russia, I would advocate taking down the statues honoring Lenin and Stalin. Because neither are worthy of public reverence.
Roundball, FU3, fufanatic and 1 others liked this
 #29236  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:38 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:43 am
I am acquainted with FUBear, and I like him. I am fine with his jokes, at my expense
Mr. Taggart liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Long offseason

by FUBF24

Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:23 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by apaladin

Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:05 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:39 pm

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:52 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:37 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.