• DROP SOCCER, BRING BACK BASEBALL

#57977  by din23
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:14 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:01 am
Well at FU they got pitted against each other and baseball lost.
You think it was a zero-sum game where someone was choosing between baseball and soccer?
 #57980  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:38 pm
din23 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:14 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:01 am
Well at FU they got pitted against each other and baseball lost.
You think it was a zero-sum game where someone was choosing between baseball and soccer?
Probably. A male sport had to go. Obviously football and basketball were off the table. So what does that leave? Probably not enough savings from dropping tennis or track etc because they are cheap sports with few scholarships. That sort of left lacrosse, baseball and soccer as candidates.
 #57984  by FU3
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:18 pm
Men’s soccer has been our most successful sport the last 20+ years, getting rid of it was never going to considered. The “ had to get rid of some mens sports” was one of the numerous BS reasons floated by our leader to justify a poorly thought and enforced action. This subject is one beaten horse.
din23, apaladin liked this
 #58116  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:51 pm
FU3 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:18 pm
Men’s soccer has been our most successful sport the last 20+ years, getting rid of it was never going to considered. The “ had to get rid of some mens sports” was one of the numerous BS reasons floated by our leader to justify a poorly thought and enforced action. This subject is one beaten horse.
……..and baseball was never on the table until ED got involved.
 #58117  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:53 pm
Womens team started another scoreless streak Friday. Way to go girls! Both teams now have ONE goal in the last 7 games. ED would never allow a womans sport to be dropped so do like FSU and just drop the men’s team.
 #58132  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:44 am
Men got shutout by Wofford tonight, 2-0. Way to go guys along with the women, back to back friday and saturday scoreless games. Now ONE goal in 8 games combined. Soccer is so excitung. Just imagine if you were at all those games you would have seen FU score ONE goal in 20+ hours. Nice.
 #58279  by JohnKX512
 Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:16 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:44 am
Men got shutout by Wofford tonight, 2-0. Way to go guys along with the women, back to back friday and saturday scoreless games. Now ONE goal in 8 games combined. Soccer is so excitung. Just imagine if you were at all those games you would have seen FU score ONE goal in 20+ hours. Nice.
Glad to see you are following our soccer teams.

Baseball hasn't scored in years... And didn't win the conference since 1976 or a tournament since 2005.

Get a life and enjoy something. Anything. Just stop complaining dude.
FU3, din23, paladinfan12 liked this
 #58283  by furpop16
 Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:20 pm
In the spirit of saving our mutual friend, aPaladin, who I worry is going to give himself an aneurism, I offer the following observations (taken from the thorough research presented by affirm over in General Idiocy). Of the six(6) D-1 athletic institutions with whom FU considers itself a self-selected peer, except for Richmond they all feature D-1 Soccer. Additionally, to aPaladin's point, with the exception of Colgate they all feature Men's Baseball as well. The Colgate exception is intriguing, because it's also the only institution that doesn't offer Women's Field Hockey. One could almost conclude that Men's baseball goes hand-in-hand with Women's Field Hockey.

And therein lies what I hope will entice aPaladin to adjust his strategy: instead of beating up on poor ol' Soccer, instead champion both Men's Baseball and Women's Field Hockey. It's not like FU is burdened with too many teams - at least compared with our "peer" institutions - to be sure, the only sport we appear to offer that they don't is Women's Golf.

Here, aPaladin, grab a beverage, put your feet up, relax and consider this:

Davidson
Sports they have we don't: Men's: baseball, wrestling, swimming & diving. Women's: field hockey , swimming & diving.
Sports we have they don't: Women's golf

Holy Cross
Sports they have we don't: MEN'S: baseball, ice hockey, lacrosse, rowing, swimming & diving; WOMEN'S: ice hockey, field hockey , rowing, swimming & diving.
Sports we have they don't: none.

Lafayette
Sports they have but we do not:
Men's: Fencing, Lacrosse, Swimming & Diving, Baseball.
Women's: Fencing, Field Hockey , Swimming & Diving.
Sports we have but they do not:
Women's golf.

Bucknell
Sports they have we don't: Men's: baseball, lacrosse, water polo, wrestling, swimming & diving. Women's: field hockey , rowing, swimming & diving, water polo
Sports we have they don't: None

Richmond
Teams that UR has but Furman does not have include baseball, men’s lacrosse, field hockey , and women’s swimming and diving.

Club sports: (UR Equestrian Team (URET), Richmond Crew, Richmond Ice Hockey Club, Richmond Men's and Women's Soccer, Richmond Co-Ed Swimming, Richmond Synchronized Swimming, Richmond Quidditch, Ultimate Frisbee Club, Richmond Archery Club University of Richmond Rugby Football Club)

Colgate
Sports they have we don't: Men's: Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rowing, Swimming & Diving. Women's: Ice Hockey, Rowing, Swimming & Diving
Sports we have they don't: Women's Golf.
 #58311  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:59 am
Furpop, thanks for the concern but the only one that matters is baseball. The men’s team lost to PC tonight. The good news is no one cares and no one will know unless the make a concerted effort so the embarrassing aspect will be moot.
 #58315  by Roundball
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:37 am
apaladin wrote:
Furpop, thanks for the concern but the only one that matters is baseball. The men’s team lost to PC tonight. The good news is no one cares and no one will know unless the make a concerted effort so the embarrassing aspect will be moot.
I commend you for trying to get baseball back. But, only a child would wish against one Furman sport over another. If you really love Furman Universtity, focus on doing something positive with getting baseball back. Stop this nonsense of going after good young men and women that are trying to get a quality education at a great university. These are our future leaders. Either pull for them or shut up. It is sickening.
din23 liked this
 #58322  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:33 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:37 am
apaladin wrote:
But, only a child would wish against one Furman sport over another.
Hmm?

Seems TheUFFP may need to hire some daycare professionals then.
But…current enrollment in that too crowded classroom did drop by 1 recently, perhaps.
Davemeister liked this
 #58362  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:24 pm
Griffdog11 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:39 pm
id say soccer is the future. keep it.
Soccer has been “the future” for quite a while now…

September 3, 1973 … almost 50 years, it seems.

"When we started all this in 1967, there were 11 amateur soccer clubs in Dallas," McNutt said. "Now our last count showed there are 1,170 teams. In other words, 25,000 to 30,000 people playing soccer here. It's becoming a monster sport in this country. Lamar's eight-year-old boy told him he wasn't going to play football because it might ruin him for soccer. Until a year or so ago, it was an everyday reality that our league might fold. Now there's no chance of that. We're going right through the top."

That Texas is a football state is a fact that Best has learned to deal with. "When I go to a school to teach soccer, I can tell who the football players are," Best said last week. "They're the guys lounging around looking uninterested. So I do this thing where I put a soccer ball on the floor and say, 'O.K., somebody take it away from me without using his hands.' A football player will get up. His mates yell, 'Kick him, bash him!' They can't do it, though, can they? They charge the ball like bulls, but they can't get it. The football players, the jocks I guess they call them, think soccer is a sissy sport. But soccer has a lot of contact, like basketball. It's just well-timed contact. You can give a jock the hip, catch him in his stride and knock him into the stands."
 #58366  by Furmanoid
 Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:11 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:24 pm
Griffdog11 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:39 pm
id say soccer is the future. keep it.
Soccer has been “the future” for quite a while now…

September 3, 1973 … almost 50 years, it seems.

"When we started all this in 1967, there were 11 amateur soccer clubs in Dallas," McNutt said. "Now our last count showed there are 1,170 teams. In other words, 25,000 to 30,000 people playing soccer here. It's becoming a monster sport in this country. Lamar's eight-year-old boy told him he wasn't going to play football because it might ruin him for soccer. Until a year or so ago, it was an everyday reality that our league might fold. Now there's no chance of that. We're going right through the top."

That Texas is a football state is a fact that Best has learned to deal with. "When I go to a school to teach soccer, I can tell who the football players are," Best said last week. "They're the guys lounging around looking uninterested. So I do this thing where I put a soccer ball on the floor and say, 'O.K., somebody take it away from me without using his hands.' A football player will get up. His mates yell, 'Kick him, bash him!' They can't do it, though, can they? They charge the ball like bulls, but they can't get it. The football players, the jocks I guess they call them, think soccer is a sissy sport. But soccer has a lot of contact, like basketball. It's just well-timed contact. You can give a jock the hip, catch him in his stride and knock him into the stands."
According to a study by the Aspen institute soccer participation among children is dropping faster than baseball or even tackle football.

And I’m all for soccer. I think it’s a great sport to get kids in shape as long as they have a super high threshold of boredom. If they are ok with boredom, but don’t want to get all caught up in the fitness thing, there’s always baseball.
 #58451  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:09 pm
Soccer is a communist sport and a sport that anyone can compete in. No athletic abitliy is needed just be in relatively good condition and be able to run or trot. It’s a sport that boys and girls can compete together. Whenever there is a goal it is 95% accidental. Very boring sport. Communism at it’s best where everyone is equal, even the minir league Greenville Triump took the major league Charlotte whatevers to OT. Great to hear that youth participation is declining rapidly(thanks furmanoid). Take soccer back overseas where it belongs.
youwouldno liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.