• DROP SOCCER, BRING BACK BASEBALL

#57575  by Sad Din
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:47 am
haha, All for bringing back baseball but NOT at the expense of soccer. I agree that 2-0 loss to CIT is unacceptable but all in all both mens and womens soccer is one of the programs that brings a little happiness to sad din!

Golf, Tennis, bball, XC are the others. Sometimes FB when they are consistently winning but its been a while
 #57730  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:32 am
Another scoreless game from the Men’s team Saturday. Drop soccer. Yes I now 80% of soccer games have at least one team that doesn’t score.
 #57762  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:27 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:44 am
No worse than scoreless baseball.

Agree, but can you imagine sitting there for the entirety of the past 2 Furman men's soccer games and neither team scored the entire game lol, I guess that's why nobody had posted in this message board all year, the sport in general is just lame. Keep soccer its all good, but damn that sport is boring.
 #57763  by Sad Din
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:15 pm
About boring... didnt grow up watching soccer. Started watching it due to Dempsey on National Team and USA soccer is always fun during world cup

SD likes soccer now but it has to be for some loyalty such as a player or home team.

IMHO soccer isnt boring. Its alot more exciting than baseball. Its non stop action. Its more about one on one balltles and when a team is good strategy also.
 #57843  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:10 pm
Davemeister- no such thing as scoreless baseball. So now the FU men’s and womens soccer teams have gone a combined 5 games without scoring. How exciting is that? Keep the streak going. Another reason to dislike soccer is thst espn tries to be politically correct by constantly showing soccer scores from leagues all over the world that no one cares about except the most die-hard of soccer fans and doubt many of them know anything about these or even where they are located. Espn is trying to cram soccer down our throat just like the WNBA.
 #57874  by MNORM
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:50 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:19 am
Please, for the sake of all that is good, move this discussion to General Idiocy.
Should've been moved after the first post......
Roundball liked this
 #57963  by Roundball
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:23 am
Men broke the 5 game scoreless streak with a 1-1 tie. Now ONE goal in 6 games for both teams. 🤣🤣
It is a obvious that you hate Furman. Why do you bother to post on the UFFP?
din23 liked this
 #57970  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:49 am
Too bad about baseball, but the fact is that it just isn’t the big deal it used to be. And for awhile soccer was the new up and coming sport. So right now at a place like FU it is likely that more students played serious soccer than serious baseball. So soccer wins.

I was gonna say soccer participation is growing while baseball participation is shrinking. But turns out both are shrinking and soccer is shrinking faster. I think soccer peaked a few years back. I hope it doesn’t drop off too much because it is a great way to keep kids running around. Baseball was invented to give exhausted farm hands something to do on Sunday. So there isn’t much running around. Nobody needed exercise.

My theory is that overall participation in a sport suffers when the sport becomes dominated by the year-round travel culture. The kids whose parents can’t or won’t do the travel thing (the vast majority) feel outclassed by the year round players and stop playing. Basketball hasn’t started dropping yet, but it has pretty much plateaued and it has this weird cultural exclusion of 80% of kids. And the quality of AAU basketball is comical and getting worse.

The sports with growing participation? Golf, tennis and other individual sports. No sucking up to a coach. No playing time drama. No phony “making the team” by writing a check. Want to go to tournaments?Fine, there’s a pretty cheap fee and you don’t have to pay for a coach, uniforms etc. You don’t even spend the night unless you are really good. So sports like baseball and soccer have been erecting barriers to exclude people while the old country club sports are tearing their barriers down.
 #57973  by din23
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:40 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:23 am
Men broke the 5 game scoreless streak with a 1-1 tie. Now ONE goal in 6 games for both teams. 🤣🤣
It's as if you're actively cheering against the Paladins. Or at least reveling in a dry spell of two of the most successful programs our school has ever had. You're reaching a new low.
Roundball liked this
 #57974  by din23
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:41 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:49 am
Too bad about baseball, but the fact is that it just isn’t the big deal it used to be. And for awhile soccer was the new up and coming sport. So right now at a place like FU it is likely that more students played serious soccer than serious baseball. So soccer wins.

I was gonna say soccer participation is growing while baseball participation is shrinking. But turns out both are shrinking and soccer is shrinking faster. I think soccer peaked a few years back. I hope it doesn’t drop off too much because it is a great way to keep kids running around. Baseball was invented to give exhausted farm hands something to do on Sunday. So there isn’t much running around. Nobody needed exercise.

My theory is that overall participation in a sport suffers when the sport becomes dominated by the year-round travel culture. The kids whose parents can’t or won’t do the travel thing (the vast majority) feel outclassed by the year round players and stop playing. Basketball hasn’t started dropping yet, but it has pretty much plateaued and it has this weird cultural exclusion of 80% of kids. And the quality of AAU basketball is comical and getting worse.

The sports with growing participation? Golf, tennis and other individual sports. No sucking up to a coach. No playing time drama. No phony “making the team” by writing a check. Want to go to tournaments?Fine, there’s a pretty cheap fee and you don’t have to pay for a coach, uniforms etc. You don’t even spend the night unless you are really good. So sports like baseball and soccer have been erecting barriers to exclude people while the old country club sports are tearing their barriers down.
I'm pretty sure the only place where baseball vs. soccer is being debated is in apaladin's mind. No one else is pitting the two against one another.
Roundball, MNORM liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by furpop16

Sat May 18, 2024 2:15 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

User avatar 100 DAYS

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 8:43 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.