• End of an era

#3104  by tya1
 Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm
Clint Dempsey announced that he was retiring today.

Probably the most famous athlete (worldwide) that Furman has ever produced. He finished tied for first place as all-time leading scorer for the national team and is the leading scorer in Premier League play for Fulham. He scored in three World Cups for the USA, which is the record .

Dempsey developed an irregular heartbeat and missed five months in 2016. Even though he came back to play for Seattle and the USA national team in 2017 that is probably a big part of the retirement announcement.
fufanatic liked this
 #3108  by fufanatic
 Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:22 pm
Those teams he was on at Furman are about the closest any Paladin team has come to winning a national title at the NCAA's highest level (women's golf was not NCAA and football was 1-AA). Women's golf and cross country could make a run in the coming years. I still believe if that awful car accident have never occurred, that 2003 team could have won it all. Were 19-3-1 in 2002 and advanced to the Sweet 16. Believe Dempsey and Ricardo Clark were supposed to be back in 2003 with some impressive talent around them, including stellar freshman class.
Fessor liked this
 #3109  by Paladin91
 Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:58 pm
What a great career for Dempsey! He really elevated U.S. soccer on the world stage. Not sure many Furman fans appreciate what he did for Furman soccer and the national program - it's a sad day.
 #3112  by Fessor
 Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm
"The Chip" against Juventus is one of my all-time sports moments. Absolutely electric.

The bigger the stage, the better this guy played.

Amazing career. Incredibly proud of his ties to FU.
 #3118  by Fessor
 Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:11 am
I've never read or heard him refer to FU, including yesterday when he thanked the litany of teams he's been a member of during his career.

Of note, he wasn't on full scholarship (at least his first year) and FU didn't visit him or pay for him to visit campus when he was a recruit. Perhaps he resents that to some extent, or doesn't have fond memories or believe that his time at FU was well spent?
 #3119  by paladinfan12
 Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 am
Fessor wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:11 am
I've never read or heard him refer to FU, including yesterday when he thanked the litany of teams he's been a member of during his career.

Of note, he wasn't on full scholarship (at least his first year) and FU didn't visit him or pay for him to visit campus when he was a recruit. Perhaps he resents that to some extent, or doesn't have fond memories or believe that his time at FU was well spent?
On his instagram he posted a picture of he and Ricardo Clark when they were at Furman as part of his retirement announcement. I've heard from people who know him he is appreciative of his time at Furman, but he only spent three years there and lost three of his best friends. I can understand the conflicted emotions. He and coach Allison still speak. He and his wife plan on settling down somewhere in the Western Carolinas. Maybe he'll make it back to a game or two now.
Fessor, fufanatic liked this
 #3151  by Fessor
 Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:46 pm
tya1 wrote:

Probably the most famous athlete (worldwide) that Furman has ever produced. He finished tied for first place as all-time leading scorer for the national team and is the leading scorer in Premier League play for Fulham. He scored in three World Cups for the USA, which is the record .

Dempsey developed an irregular heartbeat and missed five months in 2016. Even though he came back to play for Seattle and the USA national team in 2017 that is probably a big part of the retirement announcement.
Probably? Come on, man.
 #3159  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:19 am
Fessor wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:46 pm
tya1 wrote:

Probably? Come on, man.
I would argue he's easily the most famous anything we've ever produced. Not sure if Mark Sanford holds the same type of clout worldwide ... or Charles Townes for all you nerds out there.
 #3160  by Jasper
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:12 am
There is no question about the world wide fame of Clint Dempsey. Soccer is the most popular sport on the planet and he was certainly a great player. However, aside from Furman circles, I don't hear his name associated that much with Furman. The athlete who garnered the most recognition in American sports circles and was always associated with Furman was Frank Selvy. Most Americans outside the South had never heard of FU until Selvy dropped 100 on someone one night and became a national figure as a result. Even when his name comes up these days, the name of Furman is usually referenced.
 #3164  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:56 am
Jasper wrote:
There is no question about the world wide fame of Clint Dempsey. Soccer is the most popular sport on the planet and he was certainly a great player. However, aside from Furman circles, I don't hear his name associated that much with Furman. The athlete who garnered the most recognition in American sports circles and was always associated with Furman was Frank Selvy. Most Americans outside the South had never heard of FU until Selvy dropped 100 on someone one night and became a national figure as a result. Even when his name comes up these days, the name of Furman is usually referenced.
Great point. I think it might be a soccer thing honestly. Kinda like how MLB does its best to not mention colleges attended with its players. If it was a football or basketball player, the college would be significantly more prominent.
 #3169  by Fessor
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:24 pm
Same neighborhood, different street: Any comments on why FU hasn't been able to come close to matching the success and talent level of the late 90's?
 #3170  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:59 pm
I have no inside info at all and am not a college soccer expert, but I'm sure it's a combo of a lot of things. The program appeared to be pretty good under the coach before Allison, but doesn't appear in the record books to have been on the national level until 1999, when they beat Radford, North Carolina and Wake Forest before losing at UConn in the quarterfinals. That started a run where they went to the second round in 2000, the first round in 2001 and the round of 16 in 2002. Before the 2003 season was that tragic car accident and it took them until 2007 to win the SoCon again. 2014 they beat UAB and should have beaten Washington in PKs to go to the round of 16. Haven't won SoCon since. So the car accident caused a major shift in the program for sure. '14 was a potential missed opportunity to go deep in the tourney and then the team really struggled for the next two years. Believe there were some key injuries. Last year started strong and couldn't finish the deal. But the program has still earned national rankings over the last few years and is getting players drafted by MLS, so I'm not sure if there's a major issue. Just guys like Dempsey and Ricardo Clark are once in a generation players for a college program and we had them both at the same time.
 #3171  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 pm
Jasper wrote:
I realize and believe that Frank Selvy and his accomplishments were great, but I doubt he is considered to continue to be relatively very famous to basketball fans in the general public.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by furpop16

Sat May 18, 2024 2:15 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

User avatar 100 DAYS

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 8:43 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.