• Reflection and Question

#79399  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:33 pm
I have been an advocate for bringing back baseball as much as anyone on this board, and despite my distance from campus I always tried to attend a few games a year and as much of the SoCon tourney as I could. I miss those spring, Sunday afternoons at Furman and hope one day we get baseball back.

With that said, when the program was cut it came with a statement that we would instead put those resources into our major sports (Football and Basketball) to make improvements.

With SoCon championships in basketball and football and recent trips to the postseason in both sports, I can't help but ask if cutting the baseball program is thought to have contributed in any way to this recent success in the two major sports? Maybe a question for JD, but has anyone from the administration addressed this point when the subject of cutting baseball comes up? It doesn't change my thought that it was the wrong decision to cut the program and I would like to think that with the coaching staffs we have in place in the two major sports that success would have come anyway without sacrificing baseball. But I would love to hear the thoughts of others.
MNORM liked this
 #79678  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:15 pm
JD said they were told to cut 25% not move those revenues around. So the answer is no, it had no effect on football and or basketball IMHO. It was and still is a terrible decision.
 #79686  by Roundball
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:17 am
If you look at the number of new coaches on the basketball and football staffs, and the success of both, it is obvious the dollars went to both programs. It was a difficult decision that needed to be made. I remember someone on this board predicting donations to Furman would drop. That has been proven wrong and our remaining athletic programs are thriving.
 #79758  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:48 pm
Roundball wrote:
If you look at the number of new coaches on the basketball and football staffs, and the success of both, it is obvious the dollars went to both programs. It was a difficult decision that needed to be made. I remember someone on this board predicting donations to Furman would drop. That has been proven wrong and our remaining athletic programs are thriving.
Again the goal was to cut, not redistribute. More than likely any additions to football and basketball came from donations, not Furman.
 #79765  by Roundball
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:48 pm
Roundball wrote:
Again the goal was to cut, not redistribute. More than likely any additions to football and basketball came from donations, not Furman.
Give it up apaladin. You are wrong.
 #79767  by FGT
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:41 am
Furman football is better because the OC left for ETSU. The SOCON isn’t very good either. Furman basketball was knocking on the door and was due. Hopefully getting over the hurdle of winning the SOCON tourney last year will lead to more championships. Expect vs. Hope mentality.

Still miss FU baseball. Lots of baseball money raised for a building that non baseball teams use now. Those sports have no burden to fundraise much of anything.
apaladin liked this
 #79771  by din23
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:30 am
FGT wrote:
Furman football is better because the OC left for ETSU. The SOCON isn’t very good either. Furman basketball was knocking on the door and was due. Hopefully getting over the hurdle of winning the SOCON tourney last year will lead to more championships. Expect vs. Hope mentality.

Still miss FU baseball. Lots of baseball money raised for a building that non baseball teams use now. Those sports have no burden to fundraise much of anything.
That's an extremely simplistic and incomplete explanation for a program with two SoCon titles, three runners up, and four playoff appearances in Coach Hendrix's seven years at the helm.
FUBeAR liked this
 #79775  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:03 am
din23 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:30 am
FGT wrote:

That's an extremely simplistic and incomplete explanation for a program with two SoCon titles, three runners up, and four playoff appearances in Coach Hendrix's seven years at the helm.
FUBeAR would add “entirely incorrect” to din23’s list of adjectives or adverbs or modifiers
din23, Paul C liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by Affirm

Wed May 15, 2024 7:16 pm

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.