• Baseball Is NOT DEAD at Furman

#67940  by Mr. Taggart
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:44 am
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:56 am
The issue with baseball is the D-I scholarship rules - (1) Furman couldn't/wouldn't afford the 11.7 allowed and (2) partial scholarships are of limited value when it leaves a gigantic remaining bill.

I don't see the point in bringing baseball back as a half-measure like it was maintained before. Either fully fund it *and* have funding to make up for the private school disadvantage (e.g., large recruiting budget to find rich kids that are good and also NIL resources), or don't bother.

Given Title IX, scholarship costs, and operational costs, that would be a pretty significant budget, $2 - 2.5 million per year would be my back of the envelope estimate.
We often disagree, but you are right. It is unfair to have baseball and not give it a chance to succeed. We need to play to win or not play. Wofford has obviously found a successful way to run a program; so it is possible.
 #67980  by Sad Din
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:06 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
The issue with baseball is the D-I scholarship rules - (1) Furman couldn't/wouldn't afford the 11.7 allowed and (2) partial scholarships are of limited value when it leaves a gigantic remaining bill.

I don't see the point in bringing baseball back as a half-measure like it was maintained before. Either fully fund it *and* have funding to make up for the private school disadvantage (e.g., large recruiting budget to find rich kids that are good and also NIL resources), or don't bother.

Given Title IX, scholarship costs, and operational costs, that would be a pretty significant budget, $2 - 2.5 million per year would be my back of the envelope estimate.
We often disagree, but you are right. It is unfair to have baseball and not give it a chance to succeed. We need to play to win or not play. Wofford has obviously found a successful way to run a program; so it is possible.
They would also has to upgrade facilities. Tougher yet is the transfer portal. U have to be a player in that field also
 #68146  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:35 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

They would also has to upgrade facilities. Tougher yet is the transfer portal. U have to be a player in that field also
Just the pressbox would need updating, field is fine, seating is fine, just upgraded recently. There were plans for Latham pressbox etc. to be upgraded.
 #68173  by Sad Din
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:35 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Just the pressbox would need updating, field is fine, seating is fine, just upgraded recently. There were plans for Latham pressbox etc. to be upgraded.

sorry.. at this point ... dont spend another penny on any other new sport to invest in Bball. Bball is the road to the big time and it will help all others IMHO
 #68374  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:41 am
Baseball is not a new sport. It is over a hundred years old. It was discontinued for no reason. It was the only other sport that generated some revenue.
 #68394  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:41 am
Baseball is not a new sport. It is over a hundred years old. It was discontinued for no reason. It was the only other sport that generated some revenue.
When I was there the soccer team had a lot more fans than baseball. I would think they generate a fair amount of revenue as well.
 #68423  by Flagman
 Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:16 am
I’m sure most you missed it, but there was baseball at Latham stadium yesterday. Hampton Park vs Mitchell Rd middle school baseball.
 #70112  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:03 pm
Dang SoCon Baseball sure is fun!!!

apaladin liked this
 #70178  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:20 am
Another reason we need baseball: If little old Campbell currentky ranked 15th in the nation can do it, why can’t Furman?
 #70180  by Roundball
 Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:42 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:20 am
Another reason we need baseball: If little old Campbell currentky ranked 15th in the nation can do it, why can’t Furman?
Your post got me to look up some info on Campbell. I thought they were about the size of Furman, but they have a big graduate degree program and also a very good Divinity School. I did not realize they have almost 6,000 students. Somehow, I missed that they will be joining the CAA in 2023. The CAA has already announced the starting times and dates for the upcoming football season. The SoCon needs a commissioner like the CAA, one that hustles and gets things done.
 #70569  by Affirm
 Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:28 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:49 pm
Campbell has 3,696 undergraduates and is in the middle of nowhere.
Lillington, Fuquay-Varina, and Dunn are all nearby. Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, and Chapel Hill are all within an hour. Not middle of nowhere.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.