• BORING!

#53606  by furpep
 Thu May 19, 2022 10:25 am
No disrespect intended, but you know how boring the Furman Paladin website has become in spring? Track, lacrosse, softball, golf and tennis. Not one of them make me want to jump up and down about Furman athletics. The kids have done well, but how many of us stroll along with the golf team, watch the tennis team play, I do not think there is a track meet at Furman. If they want to entertain their students and attract interest in spring sports they need to rethink things. Wonder what total spring attendance is for all sports at Furman?
What a waste of a beautiful facility!
apaladin liked this
 #53608  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 19, 2022 11:00 am
Is Quidditch season in the Spring?
apaladin liked this
 #53609  by Furmanoid
 Thu May 19, 2022 11:23 am
furpep wrote:
No disrespect intended, but you know how boring the Furman Paladin website has become in spring? Track, lacrosse, softball, golf and tennis. Not one of them make me want to jump up and down about Furman athletics. The kids have done well, but how many of us stroll along with the golf team, watch the tennis team play, I do not think there is a track meet at Furman. If they want to entertain their students and attract interest in spring sports they need to rethink things. Wonder what total spring attendance is for all sports at Furman?
Are you saying it was exciting when we had an also ran baseball team? I’m all for having a baseball team because this is America, dropping baseball is in-your-face communism. But I’m not sure it ever added much “excitement”. Seemed almost like a club sport when I was there. Never witnessed anyone getting excited over it. Face it: there only two exciting spectator sports and neither is a spring sport. So football practice will always be the most exciting spring sport.
Spring/summer boredom make the payoff in September better.
 #53612  by apaladin
 Thu May 19, 2022 12:23 pm
furpep wrote:
Excellent post. Agree and many kudos!!!
 #53613  by apaladin
 Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
furpep wrote:
Are you saying it was exciting when we had an also ran baseball team? I’m all for having a baseball team because this is America, dropping baseball is in-your-face communism. But I’m not sure it ever added much “excitement”. Seemed almost like a club sport when I was there. Never witnessed anyone getting excited over it. Face it: there only two exciting spectator sports and neither is a spring sport. So football practice will always be the most exciting spring sport.
Have to disagree. Should be getting ready for the SoCon tournament at Fluor Field next week which was always exciting.
 #53670  by Sad Din
 Sat May 21, 2022 11:55 am
yes understand. well its not the same but trying to get into the Gville Drive. DS calls the plays with TVH. If you use your imagination, its like calling a Dins game.

and to go, the venue is much nicer, better atmosphere. Yes more expensive but...

What SD cant get over is the Boston affilaition being a Nat Leage fan
 #53681  by Affirm
 Sun May 22, 2022 8:26 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:26 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
furpep wrote:
Have to disagree. Should be getting ready for the SoCon tournament at Fluor Field next week which was always exciting.
I still agree with and fully support the need to and the decision to drop baseball and men’s lacrosse. They were based on a complicated combination of various realities including finances, Title IX, equity, and the historically low level of productivity and excellence of the teams. COVID-19 affected mainly just the timing and implementation of the decision. Nevertheless, seeing the (relatively minor but good) publicity about the upcoming SoCon Tournament in Greenville does cause me to say that it is unfortunate that Furman is unable to have baseball. (Does Wofford actually have a game this coming Friday at 9:00 AM? Wondering if many spectators will be attending at 9:00 AM?!!)
 #53684  by apaladin
 Sun May 22, 2022 12:00 pm
The baseballl decision was a knee jerk, spur of the moment bonehead move by ED. Yes they were considering dropping some sports but baseball was not one of them. It was totally on ED. The notion it had anything to do with Title IX is unwarranted and unfounded and just one of many lame excuses that were put out there.
 #53686  by Roundball
 Sun May 22, 2022 12:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
The baseballl decision was a knee jerk, spur of the moment bonehead move by ED. Yes they were considering dropping some sports but baseball was not one of them. It was totally on ED. The notion it had anything to do with Title IX is unwarranted and unfounded and just one of many lame excuses that were put out there.
Sorry, but you are wrong. It was 100% a decision by the BOT. Unless you have proof otherwise, you should stay quite. Your childish obsession with Elizabeth Davis has gotten out of hand. You should denounce being a fan of the Paladins and move on to another fan forum.
underjack, Affirm liked this
 #53687  by Sad Din
 Sun May 22, 2022 2:10 pm
oh oh... Elon M might soon be making a tender offer on the UFFP!
 #53689  by FUBeAR
 Sun May 22, 2022 3:20 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 2:10 pm
oh oh... Elon M might soon be making a tender offer on the UFFP!
Stumpy better clear all these bots outta here if he wants to fetch top dollar…or dogecoin, perhaps
 #53693  by Jasper
 Sun May 22, 2022 4:56 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Sorry, but you are wrong. It was 100% a decision by the BOT. Unless you have proof otherwise, you should stay quite. Your childish obsession with Elizabeth Davis has gotten out of hand. You should denounce being a fan of the Paladins and move on to another fan forum.
Not only childish but world class boring. He is totally clueless about what went on. I know Dr Davis pretty well and she has no strong feelings at all about baseball. It was all numbers and that’s what she does. I went to a fair amount of BB games and the attendance was pitiful. The fact of the matter is that LAX was much more valuable to the university than baseball for a myriad of reasons.
Affirm liked this
 #53696  by Sad Din
 Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 4:56 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Not only childish but world class boring. He is totally clueless about what went on. I know Dr Davis pretty well and she has no strong feelings at all about baseball. It was all numbers and that’s what she does. I went to a fair amount of BB games and the attendance was pitiful. The fact of the matter is that LAX was much more valuable to the university than baseball for a myriad of reasons.
Here we go again.... but heck, in the absence of games re-lving this stuff is the next best thing :D
 #53736  by Affirm
 Wed May 25, 2022 1:07 pm
UofSC Gamecocks baseball season has now ended.
I hope to not hear any additional comments about how wonderful it would have been for Furman to have not dropped baseball so that we could have played them in a midweek game.
Lots of schools beat them in midweek games this season
It would have been no big deal for Furman to have beaten them in 2022.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu May 26, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #53737  by FUBeAR
 Wed May 25, 2022 4:11 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:07 pm
UofSC Gamecocks baseball season has now ended.
I hope to not hear any additional comments about how wonderful it would have been for Furman to have not dropped baseball so that we could have played them in a midweek game.
Lots of schools beat them in midweek games this season
It would have been no big deal for Furman to have beaten them. Furthermore, the chances of Furman to have beaten them would have been quite low anyway, this season and any season.
Furman vs. South Carolina Baseball All-Time Record
57-118-2 ... 1896 to 2020
11-34 since 1989…so about a 25% chance of winning in the modern era, although in 2018 & 2019, each Team won one game of the 2 played, but they only played once (a Cock win) in the Covid-shortened 2020 season.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.