• Sickening

#52504  by Furmanoid
 Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:17 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 am
FU3 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:53 pm
The whole too many scholarships is a red herring. This was a decision done in haste with little thought and planning. Many were blind sided by this decision and by any stretch of the imagination cost Furman more than it saved. There were approximately 25 full scholarships between lacrosse and baseball for about 65 players. Moving on is fine but this was a bad decision driven for reasons only our President find’s availing.
Maybe there are things we are unaware of.
For example, when looking at cost saved, please allow me to think that the cost of 25 full scholarships (if that is an accurate approximation; do not know) is not the only cost that was saved. Allow me to think that various other costs were saved as well, such as the salaries and related costs for the 2 coaching staffs, and all of the many operational costs to have those 2 men’s teams.
Another example of something we may be unaware of relates to Title IX. I am not sure, but I believe that Title IX is about scholarships AND ALSO about playing opportunities for each gender being equitable. Therefore, even if someone(s) were to fund both those men’s teams’ scholarships, coaches, and operational costs, they (or someone else) would have to fund the amounts needed to provide additional women’s sports with adequate numbers of player positions (similar to the 65 players you mentioned for those 2 men’s teams).
I’m pretty sure the beans they count are scholarships. In tennis, for instance, you need the same number of people whether it’s women’s or men’s tennis, but women’s teams get more scholarships.

As far as all those other costs go, Single A high schools manage to fund baseball teams. It’s the same game. The FU field was a gift. The coaching staff obviously gets full time pay in college, but it didn’t have to be much. The bus rides are longer and there is some lodging involved, but nothing crazy. I don’t see how this wasn’t a nearly break even sport considering all the pay to play guys. I’d imagine we have at least one sport that loses a ton more money.
apaladin liked this
 #52505  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:03 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:17 pm
affirm wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 am
FU3 wrote:
The whole too many scholarships is a red herring. This was a decision done in haste with little thought and planning. Many were blind sided by this decision and by any stretch of the imagination cost Furman more than it saved. There were approximately 25 full scholarships between lacrosse and baseball for about 65 players. Moving on is fine but this was a bad decision driven for reasons only our President find’s availing.
Maybe there are things we are unaware of.
For example, when looking at cost saved, please allow me to think that the cost of 25 full scholarships (if that is an accurate approximation; do not know) is not the only cost that was saved. Allow me to think that various other costs were saved as well, such as the salaries and related costs for the 2 coaching staffs, and all of the many operational costs to have those 2 men’s teams.
Another example of something we may be unaware of relates to Title IX. I am not sure, but I believe that Title IX is about scholarships AND ALSO about playing opportunities for each gender being equitable. Therefore, even if someone(s) were to fund both those men’s teams’ scholarships, coaches, and operational costs, they (or someone else) would have to fund the amounts needed to provide additional women’s sports with adequate numbers of player positions (similar to the 65 players you mentioned for those 2 men’s teams).
I’m pretty sure the beans they count are scholarships. In tennis, for instance, you need the same number of people whether it’s women’s or men’s tennis, but women’s teams get more scholarships.

As far as all those other costs go, Single A high schools manage to fund baseball teams. It’s the same game. The FU field was a gift. The coaching staff obviously gets full time pay in college, but it didn’t have to be much. The bus rides are longer and there is some lodging involved, but nothing crazy. I don’t see how this wasn’t a nearly break even sport considering all the pay to play guys. I’d imagine we have at least one sport that loses a ton more money.
I still believe I am right. Sorry we have to disagree.
 #52510  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:07 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sums it up! A knee jerk reaction to say the least. At least baseball brought in some revenue. The other sports not a dime. Some publcity with scores and highlghts on local TV. When is the last time you heard anyone talk about FU tennis, golf, cross, soccer etc on TV?
 #52522  by Roundball
 Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:29 am
apaladin wrote:
FU3 wrote:
Sums it up! A knee jerk reaction to say the least. At least baseball brought in some revenue. The other sports not a dime. Some publcity with scores and highlghts on local TV. When is the last time you heard anyone talk about FU tennis, golf, cross, soccer etc on TV?
Are you serious? The greatest Furman athlete (soccer) ever came from Furman. I guess by tv you are talking about the local news. If so, WYFF mentions the Furman sports of tennis, golf, cross country, track and field and soccer quite often. As for baseball bringing in net revenue, you will have to prove that one to me. Like I said when the BOT voted to delete baseball, few cared about the team, until they did.
Affirm, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #52525  by FU3
 Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:56 am
“ Like I said when the BOT voted to delete baseball, few cared about the team, until they did.“

I guess the hundreds of alumni players , their families and donors who had donated millions of dollars to the program don’t count .. fascinating take. This decision was initiated and driven by one person, move on.
apaladin liked this
 #52526  by Roundball
 Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:03 am
FU3 wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:56 am
“ Like I said when the BOT voted to delete baseball, few cared about the team, until they did.“

I guess the hundreds of alumni players , their families and donors who had donated millions of dollars to the program don’t count .. fascinating take. This decision was initiated and driven by one person, move on.
Move on. Yes please.
MNORM, Affirm liked this
 #52531  by Furmanoid
 Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:02 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:29 am
apaladin wrote:
FU3 wrote:
Are you serious? The greatest Furman athlete (soccer) ever came from Furman. I guess by tv you are talking about the local news. If so, WYFF mentions the Furman sports of tennis, golf, cross country, track and field and soccer quite often. As for baseball bringing in net revenue, you will have to prove that one to me. Like I said when the BOT voted to delete baseball, few cared about the team, until they did.
Our best athletes were girl golfers hands down.

And he didn’t say net. They probably did at least bring in enough to pay for uniforms. I bet no team actually makes money except possibly men’s basketball. But we’ll eventually have to go in the hole there to keep the coach.
apaladin liked this
 #52562  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:55 am
Only time FU soccer is mentioned is when they play CU and maybe the SoCon tournament finals if they make it, The other soorts? That would be never. They don’t ever mention these sports for CU or SC.
 #52579  by FurmAlum
 Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:16 pm
Agree with Jasper. It's time to lock this thread and move on.
Roundball, MNORM liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.