• Sickening

#50705  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:12 pm
Already missing baseball. Seeing SoCon teams beating the big boys on the first weekend is really saddening FU does not have a bb team.
 #50751  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:26 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:07 am
If we had a baseball team you would be telling us how bad we are.
So whats the point? Every college in SC has a baseball team but FU can’t afford one?
 #50757  by Affirm
 Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
So whats the point? Every college in SC has a baseball team but FU can’t afford one?
We have football. Numerous colleges in SC do not have a football team. Numerous colleges in many other states do not have a football team, but do have a baseball team. Would anyone at Furman (would you?) accept eliminating football, or downgrading to Pioneer, in order to have a baseball team?
 #50761  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
We have football. Numerous colleges in SC do not have a football team. Numerous colleges in many other states do not have a football team, but do have a baseball team. Would anyone at Furman (would you?) accept eliminating football, or downgrading to Pioneer, in order to have a baseball team?
Furman doesn’t have to do either. They have enough money to have a baseball team. They had one for over a hundred years and thrived. ED had a knee jerk reaction to Covid and used that excuse to get rid of something she didn’t like: baseball. Numerous SC colleges don’t have football but have baseball? I can only think of 2. Only one is D1. So you’re trying to tell me that North Greenville, Erskine, Anderson, Newberry, Wofford, Limestone etc etc can have baseball and football teams but Furman cannot? Sorry, not buying that. Its not about money its all about ED.
Affirm liked this
 #50773  by Affirm
 Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
Furman doesn’t have to do either. They have enough money to have a baseball team. They had one for over a hundred years and thrived. ED had a knee jerk reaction to Covid and used that excuse to get rid of something she didn’t like: baseball. Numerous SC colleges don’t have football but have baseball? I can only think of 2. Only one is D1. So you’re trying to tell me that North Greenville, Erskine, Anderson, Newberry, Wofford, Limestone etc etc can have baseball and football teams but Furman cannot? Sorry, not buying that. Its not about money its all about ED.
You’re forgetting one or the other of 2 D1’s: Winthrop and CofC.
In regard to the 6 you named, I think 5 of them are D2, and your etc etc probably all are D2 or lower.
Also, for D1’s, remember SCSU - no baseball.
I still believe it’s about a combination of “money and Title IX and trying have as much quality as is possible for us” in the sports we do sponsor.
 #50776  by Jasper
 Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
You know that for a fact that the Furman President does not like the game of baseball and that is why we no longer have a team? Have you spoken to her about it?
 #50777  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:36 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
In regard to the 6 you named, I think 5 of them are D2, and your etc etc probably all are D2 or lower.
I still believe it’s about a combination of “money and Title IX and trying have as much quality as is possible for us” in the sports we do sponsor.
Didn’t forget them, that was that was the 2 I thought of. That was the point even D2 teams can have football and baseball but FU cannot. SCSU is fnancially strapped and I never remember them having baseball. Wofford is playing a weekend series at Fluor Field. How sad is that.
 #50778  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:38 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:04 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
You know that for a fact that the Furman President does not like the game of baseball and that is why we no longer have a team? Have you spoken to her about it?
Yes! Pretty obvious. I have tried to talk to her a couple of times but got no repsonse. Imagine that.
 #50821  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:36 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
Didn’t forget them, that was that was the 2 I thought of. That was the point even D2 teams can have football and baseball but FU cannot. SCSU is fnancially strapped and I never remember them having baseball. Wofford is playing a weekend series at Fluor Field. How sad is that.
YOU DID FORGET 1 or the other because you said “only 1 is D1”.
YOU mentioned 100 years of Furman baseball. (During about 50 of those years Furman had no women’s sports.)
PLEASE, give me you list of the top ten team achievements of Furman’s baseball program throughout its history, including the years in which each one occurred. Or if you cannot think of ten, tell me the top X number, up to 10, including the years in which each occurred. Team, not individual achievements, unless truly outstanding and extraordinary.
(Again, I do not dislike baseball.)
 #50845  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:51 pm
Look you are not going to convince me that cancelling baseball was a good thing, was necessary or was financially needed. The questions you ask about accomplishments could be asked about any FU sports. Just off the top of my head baseball did a lot for the university. How about the funds they raised for cancer every year? How about just having the name and diamond F on the dugout at Fluor Field? The connection with Greenville. Baseball was the only sport where we regularly competed with and beat the big boys. We beat SC on a regular basis. Competed with CU. What other sport can say this? Beat other major teams also such as Michigan St. and Georgia. We won’t even go into all the bad publicity it generated toward the university. It affected many fine young mens lives. It was a terrible, horrendous, and totally unnecessary decision by ED. End of story.
 #50859  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:52 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:51 pm
Look you are not going to convince me that cancelling baseball was a good thing, was necessary or was financially needed. The questions you ask about accomplishments could be asked about any FU sports. Just off the top of my head baseball did a lot for the university. How about the funds they raised for cancer every year? How about just having the name and diamond F on the dugout at Fluor Field? The connection with Greenville. Baseball was the only sport where we regularly competed with and beat the big boys. We beat SC on a regular basis. Competed with CU. What other sport can say this? Beat other major teams also such as Michigan St. and Georgia. We won’t even go into all the bad publicity it generated toward the university. It affected many fine young mens lives. It was a terrible, horrendous, and totally unnecessary decision by ED. End of story.
Tell me the end of season won-loss cumulative results of the program’s most recent
- 3 years,
-10 years
- 15 years
- 20 years
- 30 years
- 40 years
-50 years
Also, total W-L against UofSC and CU and UGA in the most recent 50 years or any similar period.
Also the total number of NCAA baseball tourney appearances in the most recent 50 years or any similar period.
Also total number of SoCon baseball championships most recent 50 years or similar period? Also 2nd place finish?
Also number of Academic All-SoCon baseball players last 50?
All SoCon baseball players last 50?
Average baseball attendance last 50 years?
You are a major proponent of Furman baseball, so surely you can give that info or info of that sort.
Those sorts of achievements are what I am asking you for - whether or not the number are good or not so good.
(I do not dislike baseball.)
 #50885  by Affirm
 Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:50 am
Found this:
1991 and 2005 were the years in which Furman won the SoCon in baseball.
Much more recent than men’s basketball.
 #51049  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:34 pm
Using Affirm’s logic it is past time to shutdown softball. 5 winning seasons the last 15 years and only one good season. Never won jacksquat. Time to dump it.
MetroMizzy liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 12:21 am

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.