• Sickening

#51135  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:34 pm
Using Affirm’s logic it is past time to shutdown softball. 5 winning seasons the last 15 years and only one good season. Never won jacksquat. Time to dump it.
There u go using logic again. Get with the program folks...
apaladin liked this
 #51364  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:02 pm
Greenville Drive fanfest this weekend features:
Michigan St vs Western Carolina instead of Furman
Kansas vs. Cincinnati
Makes me mad.
Baesball is sorely missed and highly needed for the fan base in time like these.
 #51628  by Paul C
 Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:02 pm
Greenville Drive fanfest this weekend features:
Michigan St vs Western Carolina instead of Furman
Kansas vs. Cincinnati
Makes me mad.
Baesball is sorely missed and highly needed for the fan base in time like these.
Aside from players and families, only me you and about 36 other people miss it.
Jasper liked this
 #52425  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:05 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:12 pm
Already missing baseball. Seeing SoCon teams beating the big boys on the first weekend is really saddening FU does not have a bb team.
Once in a while, Furman would beat UofSC in baseball, when we had a team. Not sure when we would beat other "big boys" or who they were. (Yes, probably Georgia once in a while, and yes, probably Clemson once in a while.)
Consider this. UofSC has a pretty good baseball team this year. They won their 3-game series against Texas recently. On the other hand, they lost their 3-game series against Clemson and their 3-game series against one or two SEC opponents this year already. Yet they beat Gardner-Webb last week by the 10-run rule. I would not want to see or read about or hear about Furman getting beat by anybody by the 10-run rule. And if we did have a baseball team this year and beat UofSC this year as we have in certain past years, that would not be anything great. In fact, I cannot remember any baseball game won by Furman against UofSC in the past when I can remember any UofSC fan or any media saying, wow, Furman baseball is so great, they beat UofSC in baseball. I am sure somebody can tell me when that was. And I am sure that there are many Furman fans could tell me years when a win over UofSC was great, but still that was probably seen as sort of ho-hum by the UofSC fans and by the media. They were always just a mid-week game anyway, and the big boys did not usually use their best pitchers, saving them for "important games". Remind me, if you wish, what "small school" opponents have beaten UofSC in baseball this season. I know they have played some.
 #52431  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:56 pm
I miss baseball as much as anyone but there’s no conspiracy with ED. Furman had a consultant group look at their sports and it was found there were too many teams to support. Under the guise of financial responsibility during Covid it became necessary to cut some sports. Title IX compliance is always a lingering issue as well. Baseball and mens Lacrosse get cut to help with Title IX and put Furman more in line with how many sports they should sponsor. Many other schools did the same thing during this time period, however they cut “Olympic sports” that have less fanfare. Furman was going to cut something and the most successful sports are golf, xc, tennis, and track. Baseball and lacrosse fell victim this. It’s sad and sickening but no secret why it happened. I want baseball back but it seems it has to be endowed and we’d have to add a woman’s sport that wouldn’t affect the bottom line.
Jasper, Roundball, Affirm liked this
 #52457  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:09 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I miss baseball as much as anyone but there’s no conspiracy with ED. Furman had a consultant group look at their sports and it was found there were too many teams to support. Under the guise of financial responsibility during Covid it became necessary to cut some sports. Title IX compliance is always a lingering issue as well. Baseball and mens Lacrosse get cut to help with Title IX and put Furman more in line with how many sports they should sponsor. Many other schools did the same thing during this time period, however they cut “Olympic sports” that have less fanfare. Furman was going to cut something and the most successful sports are golf, xc, tennis, and track. Baseball and lacrosse fell victim this. It’s sad and sickening but no secret why it happened. I want baseball back but it seems it has to be endowed and we’d have to add a woman’s sport that wouldn’t affect the bottom line.
There were other sports being looked at to drop but baseball was not one of them until ED mandated it so yes she is the sole blame for dumping baseball. Affirm FU baseball had beaten SC 5 out of the last 12 and also had wins over Michigan St., Ohio St. etc. As far as SC this year without looking it up they have lost to 2 SoCon teams, uncg and citadel. Clempson has lost to Northeastern and Georgia St. Baseball was the only major sport where we could beat a Power 5 school at least oncevonna yearly basis. ED took that away from us. I went to the Wofford/Upstate game yesterday and it really made me sad/ill thinking that FU no longer has a baseball team.
 #52461  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:19 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Good and realistic analysis. Thank you.
 #52462  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:31 am
apaladin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
There were other sports being looked at to drop but baseball was not one of them until ED mandated it so yes she is the sole blame for dumping baseball. Affirm FU baseball had beaten SC 5 out of the last 12 and also had wins over Michigan St., Ohio St. etc. As far as SC this year without looking it up they have lost to 2 SoCon teams, uncg and citadel. Clempson has lost to Northeastern and Georgia St. Baseball was the only major sport where we could beat a Power 5 school at least oncevonna yearly basis. ED took that away from us. I went to the Wofford/Upstate game yesterday and it really made me sad/ill thinking that FU no longer has a baseball team.
Good to know all that apaladin. Thank you. The various wins you mentioned are good to see, but VERY few people ever notice them and think or say “Wow, what a great baseball team Northeastern, etc., has/had. They beat Clemson, etc.”. Baseball is quirky. What matters is overall wins, losses, championships, playoffs, attention, attendance, publicity, and genuine (not quirky) achievements. I recommend FUpaladin08’s 12:56 pm 3/23/22 post. And yes, I would have not at all wanted to go and watch Wofford and USC Upstate play baseball. That would be a depressing, wasteful way to spend time, in my opinion.
 #52464  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:05 am
apaladin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
If you’re going to make a claim that ED mandated baseball be cut you have to provide receipts. I’m just going off the AD’s public comments: https://amp.thestate.com/sports/other-s ... 14671.html.

There was a $5 mil deficit looming with Covid affecting future tuition, and over the scholarship cap by 45. That’s the bottom line.

If you have some insider knowledge where ED overruled the trustees saying “eek! baseball has to go” by all means produce it. Until then we can all just agree that it stinks baseball is gone. It stinks it was kept confidential and they weren’t given the opportunity to raise funds to save baseball. It stinks they took such quick action when the world turned upside down. It just plain stinks.
 #52471  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:52 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:05 am
apaladin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
If you’re going to make a claim that ED mandated baseball be cut you have to provide receipts. I’m just going off the AD’s public comments: https://amp.thestate.com/sports/other-s ... 14671.html.

There was a $5 mil deficit looming with Covid affecting future tuition, and over the scholarship cap by 45. That’s the bottom line.

If you have some insider knowledge where ED overruled the trustees saying “eek! baseball has to go” by all means produce it. Until then we can all just agree that it stinks baseball is gone. It stinks it was kept confidential and they weren’t given the opportunity to raise funds to save baseball. It stinks they took such quick action when the world turned upside down. It just plain stinks.
So you think something stinks, and you think the trustees are the reason for the something.
 #52483  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:11 pm
Sorry “stinks” might have been the wrong wording since it might imply foul play. It sucks we don’t have baseball and it sucks baseball wasn’t given a chance to fundraise. That’s all. We can’t blame ED or trustees that we had too many scholarships and not enough ticket sales.
 #52485  by FU3
 Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:53 pm
The whole too many scholarships is a red herring. This was a decision done in haste with little thought and planning. Many were blind sided by this decision and by any stretch of the imagination cost Furman more than it saved. There were approximately 25 full scholarships between lacrosse and baseball for about 65 players. Moving on is fine but this was a bad decision driven for reasons only our President find’s availing.
apaladin liked this
 #52501  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 am
FU3 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:53 pm
The whole too many scholarships is a red herring. This was a decision done in haste with little thought and planning. Many were blind sided by this decision and by any stretch of the imagination cost Furman more than it saved. There were approximately 25 full scholarships between lacrosse and baseball for about 65 players. Moving on is fine but this was a bad decision driven for reasons only our President find’s availing.
Maybe there are things we are unaware of.
For example, when looking at cost saved, please allow me to think that the cost of 25 full scholarships (if that is an accurate approximation; do not know) is not the only cost that was saved. Allow me to think that various other costs were saved as well, such as the salaries and related costs for the 2 coaching staffs, and all of the many operational costs to have those 2 men’s teams.
Another example of something we may be unaware of relates to Title IX. I am not sure, but I believe that Title IX is about scholarships AND ALSO about playing opportunities for each gender being equitable. Therefore, even if someone(s) were to fund both those men’s teams’ scholarships, coaches, and operational costs, they (or someone else) would have to fund the amounts needed to provide additional women’s sports with adequate numbers of player positions (similar to the 65 players you mentioned for those 2 men’s teams).
 #52503  by FurmanATT
 Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:04 am
I'm just completely sentimental.
I wish Furman still had baseball because I love baseball. -- MD
FUpaladin08, apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

User avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by FUBeAR

Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.