• Baseball Facility

#41006  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:57 pm
I wonder how many schools in the Southeast think of soccer as their favorite sport? That just shows the extent to which Furman has divorced itself from the culture.
tim, FU69, apaladin liked this
 #41016  by FU69
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:22 pm
TRUE!!!, Furmanoid. Also, the students for the most part can continue to chat and pay sporadic attention to the game.
Football, baseball, basketball, etc., have too many lengthy periods of advertisements, stoppages of play, and commercial breaks that cause today's FU students to get "bored." :cry:
 #41017  by Affirm
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:52 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I wonder how many schools in the Southeast think of soccer as their favorite sport? That just shows the extent to which Furman has divorced itself from the culture.
No one expected baseball would come out on top in the survey, did they?
It’s no surprise that it’s soccer.
 #41018  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:16 pm

FWIW…

During their 2021 Home Seasons…

Furman Soccer + Opponents avg’d 2.67 scoring plays/game

Furman Football + Opponents avg’d 9.67 scoring plays/game

During their final season, Furman Baseball + Opponents avg’d 9.47 scoring plays/game

Also FWIW, watching paint dry is generally considered a less-than-fulfilling spectator sport in the US of A…

…but as a service to the many FU Students, who, apparently, are big-time Soccer Fans, FUBeAR has provided the 10 hour video below. ENJOY! OLE!!!

Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paladin82 liked this
 #41020  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:27 pm
affirm wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Good grief affirm, there probably isn't a public school within 200 miles of Furman where the favorite sporting event is a soccer game. Its either football or basketball. Sure, in some schools soccer may beat out baseball for third. But Furman no longer wants kids from those schools. We graduate 300 or so Friday night. One kid is going to FU and no, he isn't the best and brightest by a long shot. Just a little odd.

If ED could jack Furman up, put it on a trailer and move it to Massachusetts (or Ontario) she would in a heartbeat.
apaladin, Davemeister liked this
 #41024  by Affirm
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:27 pm
affirm wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Good grief affirm, there probably isn't a public school within 200 miles of Furman where the favorite sporting event is a soccer game. Its either football or basketball. Sure, in some schools soccer may beat out baseball for third. But Furman no longer wants kids from those schools. We graduate 300 or so Friday night. One kid is going to FU and no, he isn't the best and brightest by a long shot. Just a little odd.

If ED could jack Furman up, put it on a trailer and move it to Massachusetts (or Ontario) she would in a heartbeat.
Good grief, Furmanoid.
Per FU69 on Tuesday:
In a survey of last year's FU students, soccer was their favorite intercollegiate sport at FU. Good or bad, perhaps that explains recruiting worldwide.
Per Furmanoid:
in some schools soccer may beat out baseball for third. But Furman no longer wants kids from those schools.
If FU students like soccer at FU, that is a good thing.
Soccer is a great sport. I am not a lover of soccer, but I do know that soccer is an extremely popular sport world wide.
Why does Furmanoid say Furman no longer want kids from those schools where soccer would rank second ahead of basketball or football? That makes no sense. Actual Furman students have favored soccer in a survey of favorite sports at Furman. Why would Furman no longer want students like that actual current Furman students? How did those applicants who liked soccer sneak by the Admissions Office and gain admission to Furman.
We graduate 300 or so Friday night.
Who is "we"? If you are in some position of influence at the school or in the community, it appears that your influence, and that of your peers in the school and community, are unsuccessful in encouraging anyone to go to Furman to go to Furman other than perhaps "One kid [who] ... isn't the best and brightest by a long shot. Just a little odd."
It is not good that you downgrade a student who is going to FU by considering him as, and by describing him as, "odd". Then again, maybe you just consider him "odd" and "not the best and brightest" because he is not gung ho over school football and school basketball.
At the same time, I wonder why it is considered bad to be "odd" in your opinion. Maybe it is actually a good thing to be considered "odd" in your opinion.
"[T]here probably isn't a public school within 200 miles of Furman where the favorite sporting event is a soccer game."
How do you know that?
What distance from Furman does a public school have to be in order for soccer to be the favorite sporting event?
"If ED could jack Furman up, put it on a trailer and move it to Massachusetts (or Ontario) she would in a heartbeat."
It is not good that you apparently feel that you must downgrade Furman University President Dr. Elizabeth Davis, who is performing wonderfully as an outstanding president of Furman in very difficult times. (And again, no, I am not related to her in any way other than by being a human being and one who, like her, cares strongly about Furman; nor am I her employee, nor is she my client or customer of any sort, nor am I a fellow church member of hers, nor am I a fellow graduate of Duke and Baylor Universities, nor anything else.)
It is not good that you apparently feel that you must downgrade Massachusetts AND Ontario. There is nothing wrong with either of those great places.
 #41025  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:56 pm
Soccer is the most boring sport of all. Most goals are accidents. Most games see 2 goals are less total. If you want to watch a bunch of peeps running around for 2 hours with no chance of scoring 99 percent of the time then have it.
 #41027  by Sad Din
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:56 pm
Soccer is the most boring sport of all. Most goals are accidents. Most games see 2 goals are less total. If you want to watch a bunch of peeps running around for 2 hours with no chance of scoring 99 percent of the time then have it.
Gotta disagree. Baseball, football is like going thru a photo album

Soccer is like watching a movie. Scoring is not the action.. athletic plays, passing, stratedy is the entertainment. And one thing SD likes is that its equally the same for a ladies or mens game

SD never liked soccer until starting watching FU soccer and now cant miss it
 #41031  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:20 pm
Look affirm, I’m just telling it like it is. But maybe I’m wrong. Where are these areas where soccer is preferred over football and basketball? OK Asheville, maybe, but it’s too weird to count.

I didn’t say soccer is a bad sport. I just said that people in our region prefer other sports because they do! So if your student body is made up of people who’d rather watch soccer than football, that indicates that said student body is not representative of our region AT ALL.

Now some people cheer that on apparently thinking that Southern public schoolers are too dumb for Furman. I was pointing out that in my area, the miniscule number who go to Furman while very bright, are not the best of the best (like it used to be). I’m in the schools every day and I’m pretty up on the class rankings. Our best are going to Alabama after aggressive recruiting. Most of the rest of the best go to Clemson. A couple of legacy types go to Wofford. Every now and then one or two go to Furman. I shouldn’t have mentioned the oddness.

This all bugs me because I feel like I have a special connection to the place. Two brothers and my father went there. Five aunts went to FU or the women’s college. Richard Furman officiated my 4th great great grandfather’s wedding. They married sisters. But now this school named for a Revolutionary Baptist preacher from the High Hills of the Santee has been turned into an agnostic Yankee finishing school! And they like soccer more than football!!!!! That’s messed up.
 #41035  by FU3
 Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 pm
Yankee finishing school ? The class of 2024 is 57% from NC, SC ad GA, Another 14% are from SE (other). This "survey" may only have been answered by girl friends of soccer players.... who knows. While I believe the current leadership of FU is ill suited to lead the institution the students I have interacted with are smart, well adjusted young folk . By the way if this institution hadn't become agnostic Furman wouldn't have survived.
 #41038  by Roundball
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:58 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:20 pm
Look affirm, I’m just telling it like it is. But maybe I’m wrong. Where are these areas where soccer is preferred over football and basketball? OK Asheville, maybe, but it’s too weird to count.

I didn’t say soccer is a bad sport. I just said that people in our region prefer other sports because they do! So if your student body is made up of people who’d rather watch soccer than football, that indicates that said student body is not representative of our region AT ALL.

Now some people cheer that on apparently thinking that Southern public schoolers are too dumb for Furman. I was pointing out that in my area, the miniscule number who go to Furman while very bright, are not the best of the best (like it used to be). I’m in the schools every day and I’m pretty up on the class rankings. Our best are going to Alabama after aggressive recruiting. Most of the rest of the best go to Clemson. A couple of legacy types go to Wofford. Every now and then one or two go to Furman. I shouldn’t have mentioned the oddness.

This all bugs me because I feel like I have a special connection to the place. Two brothers and my father went there. Five aunts went to FU or the women’s college. Richard Furman officiated my 4th great great grandfather’s wedding. They married sisters. But now this school named for a Revolutionary Baptist preacher from the High Hills of the Santee has been turned into an agnostic Yankee finishing school! And they like soccer more than football!!!!! That’s messed up.
Thank God Furman is no longer affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. Have you kept up with the shenanigans going on there? Also, the student body has not been representative of our region in a long time, which is not all bad.
 #41039  by tim
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:07 am
What is the average attendance at an FU soccer game? I have seen a sporadic game and didn't understand the rules, particularly offsides. I'm not averse to watching soccer but major action with little scoring gets discouraging. There is little scoring in baseball but it is slow and deliberate.
 #41043  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am
tim wrote:
What is the average attendance at an FU soccer game?
Men’s - 215/game in most recent season
Women’s - 149/game in most recent season
 #41044  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 am
FU3 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 pm
Yankee finishing school ? The class of 2024 is 57% from NC, SC ad GA, Another 14% are from SE (other). This "survey" may only have been answered by girl friends of soccer players.... who knows. While I believe the current leadership of FU is ill suited to lead the institution the students I have interacted with are smart, well adjusted young folk . By the way if this institution hadn't become agnostic Furman wouldn't have survived.
Perhaps it was harsh to use the Y word. But none of Charlotte and very little of NC should count in those stats. In much business dealings with Atlanta firms in the past ten years, I dealt with a total of two Southerners. One was a native born Atlantan lawyer who had felt the need to adopt a heavy, fake Chicago accent. So the GA numbers need to be adjusted downward as well. When I was at Furman the Floridians were indistinguishable from Maryland or NJ kids except for their tans. Florida has made great strides, but I suspect many of the FU kids are fleeing the “troglodytes” who run the state now. So after careful analysis, my assessment stands.

It is hard to see how remaining one of the two or three best schools affiliated with the largest and wealthiest Protestant denomination would have been suicidal. That was all a battle between two groups of old men who couldn’t get along. Period. One group was accused of being heretical. The other was accused of being flat Earthers. (Funny that the flat earth Furman produced the science of behaviorism and a Nobel physicist.)

But yes that survey about soccer was probably bogus. You’re probably right about that as you are most of the time.
 #41045  by tim
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:44 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am
tim wrote:
What is the average attendance at an FU soccer game?
Men’s - 215/game in most recent season
Women’s - 149/game in most recent season
OK, any favorite sports survey is irrelevant considering those low numbers and the fact that not all those are students. May as well ask their favorite color of Jellybean.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.