#41247  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:15 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:08 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:07 am
Louis Tully wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm
Don't discount the popularity of Soccer and the way it is growing around here. Drive by the MESA complex pretty much any Saturday or Sunday. It is usually packed to the rim.
Atlanta United vs New York Red Bulls drew 42,575 fans to their game in the Atl. on Monday night.
You only have to go to a Greenville Triumph game to see rabid soccer fans. Seriously, it’s a wild atmosphere.
That’s because MOST but not all people that go to Triumph games are “not from around here” and that is their sport so of course they will ge rabid. I will say that espn has jumped all over soocer andnis running it down our throats! Teams, leagues, countries we’ve never heard of take up a lot of hours on espn. Even our own Triumph has had 2 televised games on espn2, one and one away.
 #41249  by Roundball
 Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
Don't discount the popularity of Soccer and the way it is growing around here. Drive by the MESA complex pretty much any Saturday or Sunday. It is usually packed to the rim.
Atlanta United vs New York Red Bulls drew 42,575 fans to their game in the Atl. on Monday night.
You only have to go to a Greenville Triumph game to see rabid soccer fans. Seriously, it’s a wild atmosphere.
That’s because MOST but not all people that go to Triumph games are “not from around here” and that is their sport so of course they will ge rabid. I will say that espn has jumped all over soocer andnis running it down our throats! Teams, leagues, countries we’ve never heard of take up a lot of hours on espn. Even our own Triumph has had 2 televised games on espn2, one and one away.
“Most that go to Triumph games are not from around here.” Have you been to a Triumph games? The fans that go to the games live in the Greenville area. They are from here. I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say, unless you are implying soccer is not a white man’s sport. Surely that is not what you are saying, right?
 #41252  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
“Most that go to Triumph games are not from around here.” Have you been to a Triumph games? The fans that go to the games live in the Greenville area. They are from here. I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say, unless you are implying soccer is not a white man’s sport. Surely that is not what you are saying, right?
In the US it is very much a white elitist sport. If you can’t afford to travel every weekend age 6 to 18, you’re probably not gonna be a soccer player.
 #41253  by Roundball
 Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:04 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 am
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
In the US it is very much a white elitist sport. If you can’t afford to travel every weekend age 6 to 18, you’re probably not gonna be a soccer player.
I agree. The same applies to youth baseball.
 #41297  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:13 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
Louis Tully wrote:
Just what I said. The majority are from other countries where soccer is their sport so naturally they will be more responsive and excited. Please don’t make it racist.
 #41390  by MetroMizzy
 Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:02 pm
It's like politics, you'll never "win" an argument trying to convince someone to like a sport or not. Waste of time. Personally, I love soccer. Wish I would have played in college. I still play in the local men's league. I've been to basically, every sporting event one can attend from Final Fours, Super Bowls, blah blah blah - for me I have never been to anything more intense than plain old regular season Premier League matches. It can't be described. It has to be experienced. It will blow the mind of even a basic sports fan. It's religion and politics after tailgating rolled into one sporting event with no commercials. In and out in in just over an hour and a half.

But yeah travel soccer and travel baseball in particular are a scam. Many disillusioned parents living out their dreams via their children while paying an F Ton of money to do it and they start at age 6. Gimme a break.
 #41394  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:56 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:02 pm
It's like politics, you'll never "win" an argument trying to convince someone to like a sport or not. Waste of time. Personally, I love soccer. Wish I would have played in college. I still play in the local men's league. I've been to basically, every sporting event one can attend from Final Fours, Super Bowls, blah blah blah - for me I have never been to anything more intense than plain old regular season Premier League matches. It can't be described. It has to be experienced. It will blow the mind of even a basic sports fan. It's religion and politics after tailgating rolled into one sporting event with no commercials. In and out in in just over an hour and a half.

But yeah travel soccer and travel baseball in particular are a scam. Many disillusioned parents living out their dreams via their children while paying an F Ton of money to do it and they start at age 6. Gimme a break.
Have Travel 7-on-7 (“Football”) Teams not made it to the 6 year old level yet? Stay tuned … soon to arrive & will include NIL Sponsorships from Fisher- Price, St. Joseph’s Children’s Aspirin, and GrrAnimals.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #41402  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:40 am
Agree Metro. What hapoens to the kids! Many get burned out. When we were young youth baseball was pretty much over in June or July, now it basically never ends. Kids that play multiple sports never get a break.
FurmAlum, MetroMizzy liked this
 #41403  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 am
Very few play multiple sports due to coach/parental pressure. Even if they play a second sport, the parents make it clear that it is just a lark and they continue with baseball all the way through the other season playing all weekend and skipping practice to get with pitching coaches and such. My #1 in tennis (a bench warmer in softball) plays travel sb tournaments all the way through tennis season and her Dad won’t let her use topspin because it might mess up her softball swing. In my experience girls don’t get up the courage to tell Dad they hate travel softball or volleyball until about junior year.

Worst of all, this travel stuff has put the final nails in the coffins of many, many Sunday Schools. I used to be amazed at how many active churchgoers got lured into travel sports and just stopped sending their kids to church.
FurmAlum liked this
 #41404  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:30 am
Have to disagree about not playing multiple sports. Don’t know about girls but boys play multiple sports if they have athletic ability is my experience. They go from one sport right into another. Of course if not much athletic ability exists they play soccer.
 #41417  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 pm
Agree 100% F'oid. You hit the nail right on the head. All these travel sports have gotten completely out of hand. Back in the day, like apaladin said, Little League Baseball ended about the end of June. That's when it should end too.

Junior Golf is the same way. And I'm certainly not against junior golf but you need to play for the right reason. Most of the boys play because they like to play. A lot of the girls play because their parents make them, so they can get a college scholarship. After high school most of the boys will play the rest of their life. A lot of the girls never pick up a club after high school and even some of the college players don't either. Both the boys and girls parents hover way to much at he Junior Tournaments putting too much pressure on their kids. A friend of mine used to run Junior Tournaments. He would put yellow crime scene tape around the club house with signs that said "No Parents!"
The kids loved it. Nowadays that wouldn't fly.

6.7,and 8 year old kids playing organized Pee Wee football is a little crazy too. I had a high school football coach tell me one time that he thought the kids don't even need to play until about the 8th grade in Middle School. He said we can teach them all they need to know in the 8th and 9th grades and they will be good players by the time they get to high school and not burnt out on the game.

The absolute worst is Dance. Heaven forbid you have a daughter or granddaughter doing that. My oldest daughter did. One of her recitals started around 6 P.M. and we were still there at midnight!!!! :D
apaladin liked this
 #41418  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:32 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
The absolute worst is Dance. Heaven forbid you have a daughter or granddaughter doing that. My oldest daughter did. One of her recitals started around 6 P.M. and we were still there at midnight!!!! :D
You must be unfamiliar with Competitive Cheerleading.

All the noted features of Dance with 10x the headache from the screaming, but mostly from the always blaring VLF (very low fidelity) ‘mash-up’ music that accompanies every single one of the the seemingly endless succession of routines!
 #41425  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:38 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Agree 100% F'oid. You hit the nail right on the head. All these travel sports have gotten completely out of hand. Back in the day, like apaladin said, Little League Baseball ended about the end of June. That's when it should end too.

Junior Golf is the same way. And I'm certainly not against junior golf but you need to play for the right reason. Most of the boys play because they like to play. A lot of the girls play because their parents make them, so they can get a college scholarship. After high school most of the boys will play the rest of their life. A lot of the girls never pick up a club after high school and even some of the college players don't either. Both the boys and girls parents hover way to much at he Junior Tournaments putting too much pressure on their kids. A friend of mine used to run Junior Tournaments. He would put yellow crime scene tape around the club house with signs that said "No Parents!"
The kids loved it. Nowadays that wouldn't fly.

6.7,and 8 year old kids playing organized Pee Wee football is a little crazy too. I had a high school football coach tell me one time that he thought the kids don't even need to play until about the 8th grade in Middle School. He said we can teach them all they need to know in the 8th and 9th grades and they will be good players by the time they get to high school and not burnt out on the game.

I’ve heard that same line from some HS football coaches a long time ago. But rec football is still a late August-late October deal most everywhere so kids don’t really burn out. They just figure out if they ever even liked it or not. The ones who like it are eager to get back at it after every off season.

And I’ve often seen rec coaches do a MUCH better job of coaching than the teachers who coach middle school and B team. One group of guys is doing it for fun, while another group is doing it for $1500 and a chance to blow a whistle and strut around bellowing nonsense.

I remember when I was a kid we had a really good city league from third grade up and I had a bunch of really great coaches. Just old guys from around town. We did all that excessive bull in the ring stuff, and we ran more than nowadays HS teams but it was ok because we took plenty of salt tablets! The coaches were stable, sane people though and some were even innovative.

But if you wanted to continue on onto B Team, you had a coach who was just back from combat and just wasn’t right yet. He was into that thing of making it so bad that only the toughest survived. The problem was that the toughest tended to be slow and uncoordinated so the program sucked.

Twenty something years later FU alum Jimmy Neal took over the program and Camden got pretty good for awhile.

Recent Topics

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

User avatar Off-season SOCON Transfer Tracker

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.