• Jay Jackson

#43947  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:22 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:57 am
The “Jay Jackson Saves FU Baseball” fund. Man, that has a nice ring to it.
ED would reject it, just like she rejected huge gifts when she killed baseball.
 #43948  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:35 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Why? Even if he had stayed in the majors and won the World Series, I disagree that it has a nice ring to it, unless he gave the lead gift of multiple millions of dollars. No offense to Jay Jackson. No offense to anyone.
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #43949  by Affirm
 Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:38 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I am unaware that the president rejected any actual gifts, huge or not huge. I doubt that she did. I have seen no evidence of that having occurred.
 #44018  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:56 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I am unaware that the president rejected any actual gifts, huge or not huge. I doubt that she did. I have seen no evidence of that having occurred.
She did and it was a huge one,
 #44037  by MetroMizzy
 Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:56 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
She did and it was a huge one,
Yeah because ED is going to make that public knowledge Affirm cause that's a good look. LOL. Technically it was JD that turned it down on a zoom call with the parents on 5/18/2020. 100% happened. They didn't turn down that new basketball locker room that was donor funded though huh? Crazy they took that $3M but not a very similar sized donation for baseball. Strange.
 #44039  by DanScott
 Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:15 pm
Guys… everyone including admin knows how i feel about baseball. So after seeing this I went to the source… I was assured there has not been any gift turned down.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #44040  by Affirm
 Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:12 pm
DanScott wrote:
Guys… everyone including admin knows how i feel about baseball. So after seeing this I went to the source… I was assured there has not been any gift turned down.
I believe there has not been nor would there ever be (that which Dan Scott was assured did not happen), unless of course there were/are unacceptable, untenable, impractical, unrealistic, and potentially even illegal consequences/stipulations/repercussions attached to a “so-called gift”; and/or the same such situations likely to result from a “so-called gift”.
We ARE blessed to have very smart people leading Furman Athletics and leading Furman University overall.
I fail to see that the current demotion of Jay Jackson to the minor leagues constitutes an excuse to bring this matter back up now.
The “save baseball fund” comment that was posted appeared to be an attempted joke more than anything else. The poster can and may deny that it was intended as such; but even if the poster would deny such intention, it still would still APPEAR to have been an attempted joke.
 #44651  by MetroMizzy
 Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 pm
DanScott wrote:
Soooooo who is the liar? It was made extremely clear on several occasions that a parent of a current player (at the time) told JD on the zoom call with the parents that he would donate $3M on the spot. Sorry, if I don't believe the administrations story on this.
apaladin liked this
 #44812  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:05 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 pm
DanScott wrote:
Soooooo who is the liar? It was made extremely clear on several occasions that a parent of a current player (at the time) told JD on the zoom call with the parents that he would donate $3M on the spot. Sorry, if I don't believe the administrations story on this.
MetroMizzy,
I do not believe that Dan Scott or Jason Donnelly is a liar.
Nevertheless, even IF "... a parent of a ... player (at the time) told JD on ... zoom ... with ... parents that he would donate $3M on the spot...", it is possible that the so-called offer (if one existed) was not perceived to be any actual good-faith, supportive "offer" and therefore NOT a gift; and/or that it had unacceptable conditions and stipulations attached and therefor NOT a gift/donation. So it is possible that what someone wants to call a gift/donation was NOT a gift/donation, and therefor NO gift/donation was turned down.
Furthermore, $3 million dollars in the overall context WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ADEQUATE. I wrote on UFFP in #28220 5/21/20 816 pm in response to you that
"...
[You said]'We are fighting for the program now ... [to] resurrect it ....'
I suggest that you could perhaps be successful in your fight only if you and all others who are in the group of 'we' that you mention as 'fighting for the program' would do something like the following. My suggestion is that you could gather $100,000,000 or some such amount to donate to Furman in order to endow the baseball program in perpetuity plus 2 other sports or whatever number of other sports needed to assure gender equity. $50,000,000 of the donation could be designated for the endowed baseball program; $50,000,000 if that endowment fund could be suggested and made available to allow the university to have a new Field Hockey program to start up no later than the date on which the baseball program would start back up; and $25,000,000 of the endowed money could be suggested and made available for a new Beach Volleyball program to also start up no later than the date on which the baseball program would start back up.
...something like this would have to be done in order to solve the financial part of the problem and the gender equity part of the problem, Title IX or no Title IX. With or without Title IX, gender equity is right and is necessary. Good management of resources in difficult times (and in good times) is right and is necessary...."

SO ...
$100 million dollars, not $3 million.
And $3 million may not have been a bona fide, good-faith, acceptable offer.
Consider what instead could be done with $100 million. Someone with $100 million dollars to donate might prefer to try to designate it for moving Furman up to FBS and compete as a small school like the University of Tulsa. Maybe we could be in the Sun Belt Conference.
Or, someone with $100 million dollars to donate might prefer to try to put more emphasis on academics and designate it for moving Furman down to Division 3 athletics.
Or, someone with $100 million dollars to donate might prefer to try to put more emphasis on men's and women's basketball.
Or, yes, obviously, someone with $100 million dollars to donate might want to reinstate baseball.
In any case, it would need to be perceived as a bona fide, good faith offer and one that is aligned with the overall goals of the university and determined by the Board of Trustees, in order for it to be even considered.
I am not saying that anyone is a liar.
 #44952  by MetroMizzy
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 pm
Dan is certainly not lying. Never intended for it to be perceived that I was saying that because I was not.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. It's over. All the ex players know it's over. Furman is dead to me and many others. Whatever man. Not going to waste my time on this any longer in a public forum. It will always be the wrong decision to me and to the vast majority of ex players and you will never convince us otherwise. Also, if it's not clear, I don't give a flying frap about Furman academics.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Sad Din

Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu May 16, 2024 2:46 pm

User avatar 2024 opponents

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 1:13 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.